H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

AHels is off the scale

Hey guys, been reading the forums for a while, only getting around to posting now.

I'm needing some help here. We're planning a bit of a road-trip, and decided to get a H2 to do it in. Starting out on the west-coast (LA, San Diego, San Fransisco) then zig-zagging around the country til we end up in Key West. Sticking the vehicle on a boat in Jacksonville and picking it back up in Southampton in England to continue across Europe.

I've set myself a budget of $70000 for the H2 - for which I want a new(ish) yellow H2, 6" rise, 40" tires, Supercharger (Lingenfelter?), Gobi rack, Satnav, DVD/MP3 playback (multi-zone), electric starter etc etc.. Don't need the full off-road treatment, as it will mainly be driven on-road, but planning on going through death valley and places like it so would be helpful I guess. Also not looking for the top-of-the-line in 'bling', just something practical which will take us where we decide to go and keep us entertained on the way there.

Am I being way unrealistic with the budget I've set myself or is it doable? Obviously the $70k budget is for the vehicle itself, any extras such as gas, motels (although we'll be in a tent for much of the trip) etc are coming out of a separate pot so to speak.

Also looking for dealers which would be able to accomodate my needs, which would be to place an order now (or within a few weeks), take part-payment and have the H2 ready for me to pick up sometime at the beginning of June (on the west-coast).

Thinking about emailing westcoast customs, but seing what they've done so far, I'm guessing my $70k wont take me as far as I'd like, so any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers...
Old 04-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

AHels is off the scale

Hey guys, been reading the forums for a while, only getting around to posting now.

I'm needing some help here. We're planning a bit of a road-trip, and decided to get a H2 to do it in. Starting out on the west-coast (LA, San Diego, San Fransisco) then zig-zagging around the country til we end up in Key West. Sticking the vehicle on a boat in Jacksonville and picking it back up in Southampton in England to continue across Europe.

I've set myself a budget of $70000 for the H2 - for which I want a new(ish) yellow H2, 6" rise, 40" tires, Supercharger (Lingenfelter?), Gobi rack, Satnav, DVD/MP3 playback (multi-zone), electric starter etc etc.. Don't need the full off-road treatment, as it will mainly be driven on-road, but planning on going through death valley and places like it so would be helpful I guess. Also not looking for the top-of-the-line in 'bling', just something practical which will take us where we decide to go and keep us entertained on the way there.

Am I being way unrealistic with the budget I've set myself or is it doable? Obviously the $70k budget is for the vehicle itself, any extras such as gas, motels (although we'll be in a tent for much of the trip) etc are coming out of a separate pot so to speak.

Also looking for dealers which would be able to accomodate my needs, which would be to place an order now (or within a few weeks), take part-payment and have the H2 ready for me to pick up sometime at the beginning of June (on the west-coast).

Thinking about emailing westcoast customs, but seing what they've done so far, I'm guessing my $70k wont take me as far as I'd like, so any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers...
Old 04-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

With those mods, you just blew your budget to hell. It sounds like a great trip, though.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I smell a scam in the making.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

AHels is off the scale

KenP: Thought as much. What would I have to lose to make it under budget then? Guessing if I drop the lingenfelter I'd make the rest easily, right?

DRTYFN: Dont know what the scam would be, but let me know and I'll think about it. :/
Old 04-25-2005, 12:26 PM

Kahloq is off the scale

You don't need lingenfelter for a supercharger....you can also buy a new H2 that ahs all the interior creature comforts you asked for right at a dealer and usually for abour 58K. Add in the lift kit, check prices at local off road shops, and a gobi rack and you should be good. You might be able to get lift kit, the gobi rack and 40" tires for 12K which would equal your 70K budget. You may heve to have a local shop do some of the work for you(adding the lift kit), but you can go to any hummer dealer now and pick up a yellow H2.
If your going to be taking it to Europe...keep in mind that the roads there are somewhat narrow in many places...so watch the size of tires you place on the H2. You'll want to check to see if tires you get here are available in europe just in case you get a blow out(yes you got a spare), but what happens after you use the spare?

You can also custom build an H2 with what you want on it through hummer and then have the dealer do a country wide search that matches what you want...once found, it can be shipped to the west coast.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

AHels is off the scale

That's more like it

Wasn't really expecting to end up with a lingenfelter, and to be honest I probably wouldnt need it either. I just feel as though I need slightly better acceleration and more oomph behind me.

Have seen everything about the STS kit on the forums, and at what, 1/3 of the price it seems a good deal.

As for taking it to Europe, I'm actually European myself - hence the 'problems' so far in finding a dealer to work with and getting things priced properly. I'll probably get the stock rims/tires shipped over here once I pick up the vehicle (unless dealer discounts new ones for part-exchange) so should be ok from that point.

Have had a look at hummer.com, but being sort of fuzzy I'm not sure I'd like to go with the 'stock' options. I.e. would idealy like the satnav unit separate from dvd/mp3 player so I could still listen to my tunes whilst not getting lost

Obviously if I cant get what I'd like on budget I'll have to have a bit of a rethink - perhaps go stock for time being and put in my in-car-computer from my other vehicle once we get it over here.

Thanks for your comments so far guys.
Now, on a slightly different note - considering going with the Gobi rack that allows for the spare to go on top. Would I be able to fit a 40" on top of that?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.magellangps.com/en/produc...sp?PRODID=1010
Old 04-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

AHels is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
I think the largest you are gonna get in an off-the-shelf Gobi Rack is a 38.....but they will do custom. As to putting 40's on your H2, even with a 6" lift, I wouldn't personally recommend going bigger than 38's. For pics of a 6" lift with 38's click here...

6" lift on 38's

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Custom Gobi rack... Sounds expensive

Interesting you should say that. There seems to be two schools of thought on this one, as some people say 38" is 'as big as it gets' where others say 40" are just fine.

Are you thinking 40"s would rub or are you more thinking changes in CG?
Not planning any rock climbing with it anyway, but I figured the bigger the better once we get towards the top of Scandinavia (fairly snowy and icy conditions).
Old 05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

"Don't need the full off-road treatment, as it will mainly be driven on-road, but planning on going through death valley and places like it so would be helpful I guess. Also not looking for the top-of-the-line in 'bling', just something practical which will take us where we decide to go and keep us entertained on the way there."

I don't think you need it lifted. The members of this forum have been everywhere you'd probably go, and done all the trails you'd ever hope to do on a "tour", even in Europe, in stock H2's. The H2 handles wonderfully on snow and ice with stock All Terrains, even though you'll need a more agressive tread. Lifting it is a good idea, but not necessary. Just my 2 cents.
You might want to save the $$$ for your Sat/Nav. Get a good one. BlondeStar is not known for it's wonderful coverage when you're off the beaten path.

And I also know where you can buy a NEW lifted, yellow SUT if you're interested.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

AHels is off the scale

See what you mean about the lift. There is also another reason why I'd want if of course
Seeing more and more H2s over here at the moment and well.. so, to stand out from the crowd and also aggrivate the green-use-your-bicycle nuts a bit, yellow in color and a lift kit seems essential

blondeStar.. Didn't know you knew my wife?

Now, someone please enlighten me as to why onStar takes so much crap everywhere? Seems like a superb system (on paper that is).

SUT really wont fit my needs as I plan on keeping the H2 as a 'family' car once we're done travelling.

Just to keep the topic alive Satellite phones.. I'm guessing a lot of the places we plan on visiting won't have cell-phone coverage, so what sort of sat phone and airtime deal would you guys recommend? Don't really plan on having to make any calls from it, but guessing it's as a must (going through the desert atleast).