H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-19-2005, 12:09 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

So I purchased my H3 a couple of days ago. I think the order goes in today.

The dealer said that GM was halting the sale of the roof top marker lights due to condensation build up and the inability of the bulb to burn it away in a timely fashion.

Anybody have them and experiencing this problem?

Joey
Old 08-19-2005, 12:09 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

The dealer said that GM was halting the sale of the roof top marker lights due to condensation build up and the inability of the bulb to burn it away in a timely fashion.

Joey
Old 08-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:

Joey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like it should be a recall item.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:48 PM

richk is off the scale

The marker lights should be put on hold. They have serious noise/wind issues. My dealer did a supposed fix with sticky foam tape, I installed door molding along the front, and after all that the dam lights are still noisy. I was going 75mph on the freeway yesterday and they were making so much noise I thought they might get ripped off the roof.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are noisy, but I have not noticed a condensation problem. Most likely it's too hot here right now. How do they notify the owners if there are problems?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

The rumor is true, GM says that "Continuous improvement measures are currently being investigated, and communications will follow relative to any actions necessary." They are, as of now, quarantined.

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 08-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

tony d is an unknown quantity at this point

my h3 was built during the week and I ordered these marker lites , so does that meen I'm not going to get them ? If my dealer ordered them a few weeks ago will I not get them ?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

They may still get them in stock, as these aren't installed at the factory (even when ordered from the factory) and the dealer either will not get them in, or they wont install them. That's my guess anyway, I'd check w/ your dealer

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 08-19-2005, 06:40 PM

GrimReaper is off the scale

Does this apply to the off-road roof lamps as well?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:24 PM

Jersey Guy is off the scale

I WENT TO HUMMERS SITE AND MADE A COMPLAINT BY EMAIL AND VIN NUMBER ABOUT THESE MARKER LIGHTS LETS SEE WHAT THEY COME BACK WITH HEY THE REST OF YOU SHOULD COMPLAIN ON THE HUMMER SITE ALSO THE MORE THE BETTER THESE LIGHTS ARE A VERY BAD DESIGHN AND THEY BETTER COME UP WITH A FIX SOON OR I WANT THEM OFF AND REFUNDED AND HOLES FILLED AND REPAINTED I HAVENT WENT TO THE DEALER TO HAVE THEM CHECKED YET BUT I KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO SAY THEY ARE TIGHT AND I CANT DO ANYTHING TO FIX IT UNTIL GM PUTS OUT A FIX
Old 08-19-2005, 08:43 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

When ever dealers and service manager report problems over and over again, a red flag goes up at headquarters.

THEY ALWAY HALT AN ITEM IF A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF COMPLAINTS COME IN.

IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY WILL NOT OFFER IT ANYMORE. THEY JUST HAVE TO SEE WHAT IS WRONG.

LAST TIME THERE WAS A MAJOR PROBLEM, IT WAS A DEALER INSTALL ERROR AND THEY RETRAINED THEM..

I HEARD THERE WAS A NEW PART NUMBER ALREADY ISSUED.

I will call someone at world HQ and ask them next week
Old 08-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

H3Lady,
On a normal type repair there is no actual verbal reporting to GM. If there is a problem with a repair, the technician may call TAC, who in turn opens up a TAC case. They are not necessarily noted by the service manager, or even the technician. The labor operation code is the triggering device for any problem.
Data analysts run data daily on all labor operation codes used the previous day. A large spike in warranty on any particular labor operation will spike the chart and the data analysts send that information to the service engineering team leader who has responsibility for the person who has this particular part.
From there the problem is researched by service engineering, and if required they will get product involved to get a newly designed part into production. While this is happening, the service engineering team works to see if there is a solution to the parts out there.
If there is, a technical bulletin will be issued and sent to the dealers via GM-Dealerworld; however, if other parts are required to fix the problem, the bulletin may be put on hold until those parts are available.
Normally, when a problem occurs, GM jumps on the problem pretty darn quick and resolves the matter.

I will have to agree, that in most of these cases, the problem lies with the dealer's technician who installed it incorrectly. No excuse, but it does happen.

To answer the question on whether or not they will be on a vehicle due in this week and ordered with the vehicle, here is how that process works.
When you order a vehicle, there are two different categories of option codes; RPO (regular production option) and RPA (regular production accessory). RPOs are installed at the plant, these are the radios, sunroof, luxury and adventure packages, etc. RPAs are installed by the dealer, but they are part of the MSRP. When the vehicles VIN is scanned at the end of car final, this scan triggers GM service operations to ship any RPAs to the dealer. The dealer will receive this large box (or boxes) with the RPAs labeled with the VIN of the vehicle.
When the vehicle finally makes it to the dealer, the dealer is responsible for the installation of the RPA. So, if a vehicle shipped last week or earlier this week, there is a very good chance the RPAs will already be at the dealer.
Now, to add some confusion to his, the dealer can also order these items separately and install them as a dealer installed accessory. Not part of the MSRP, but an added price.
For example, my H3 will be at the dealer tomorrow, and the dealer will install the brush guard and mud flaps as dealer installed accessories, since the vehicle was not ordered with these items. Costs a little more, since it is not part of the MSRP, but the same place installs the same item.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:09 PM

H3OH is off the scale

My dealer told me they halted shipments of the official chrome "Hummer" fuel doors as well for the H3. Some surfaced, but the rest were pulled...so they say.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:08 AM

H3Lady is off the scale

H3OH

Not true...what was his reason...

Mine if mint and the install was perfect. Fit is perfect...
The only thing I can think of is they are not includeing the locking cap, and may of had complaints.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:45 AM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

fstop....dude you have WAY too much knowledge. Thankfully you have returned back to this forum to help people like me (zero knowledge) with the future purchase of a fairly expensive toy, and the upkeep after purchase. Thanks again

C.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by canucksnaphook:
fstop....dude you have WAY too much knowledge. Thankfully you have returned back to this forum to help people like me (zero knowledge) with the future purchase of a fairly expensive toy, and the upkeep after purchase. Thanks again

C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, but afer 14 years in service engineering, a person can't help but absorb this type of information. Over the years I have worked directly with service parts on dealer installed accessories, RPAs and with the warranty people on warranty questions.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:09 PM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not true...what was his reason... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something with how it installed. I think you got lucky as he was saying only GM got them. Do some checking, and you'll see they're nowhere to be found in distribution.

Interesting.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:35 PM

srqhumdinger is off the scale

If we're talking about the chrome "Hummer" fuel door, I had one installed by my dealer on Thursday. It looks great! I am really confused about what's going on.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Hummer Guru

Just verified, Marker Lamps should not be installed as either an RPA or dealer installed accessory.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:14 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

My son is calling a big shot in this department on monday.

I too, will love to know the faults of this incase i need some recourse action in the future. Once installed, wondering what they will do.

I don't have noise anymore, and we checked after a good rain for water problem, none seen.