H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Front leveling = Rear sagging???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
You are so smart

Let's get some longer shackels made....who do we know here that can do that for us???

Aww Bebes - you're gonna make me blush!

I just got off the phone with Chad Hall and had an opportunity to speak with him about the H3 race truck and what he thought would be best for our situation.

It turns out that they run the race H3 with the following mods: V8 torsion bars (from the upcoming V8 model), a 1" body lift, 35's, and heavy duty Rod Hall shocks w/remote resovoirs. Thats it according to Chad.

When I told him what we did (Paragon, Rubicon, Moab), and what we wanted (More ground clearance), Chad seemed to think that shackles and a t-bar crank made the most sense, performance wise first and $$$ wise second. Another option to do as a second stage after the shackles would be to have the springs re-bent to add more lift. This is somthing that most spring shops are able to do according to Chad.

I am contacting one of my TTORA friends to see of they can help me fab up a set. If someone from the Forum can fab these up and is interested in helping out that would be a plus! From this conversation with Chad it seems we are on the right track.

Oh, he also said he was NOT impressed with the lift kit currently available for the H3 saying it is not made for off road use. Interesting...

Last edited by Ipedog : 07-31-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipedog
Aww Bebes - you're gonna make me blush!

I just got off the phone with Chad Hall and had an opportunity to speak with him about the H3 race truck and what he thought would be best for our situation.

It turns out that they run the race H3 with the following mods: V8 torsion bars (from the upcoming V8 model), a 1" body lift, 35's, and heavy duty Rod Hall shocks w/remote resovoirs. Thats it according to Chad.

When I told him what we did (Paragon, Rubicon, Moab), and what we wanted (More ground clearance), Chad seemed to think that shackles and a t-bar crank made the most sense, performance wise first and $$$ wise second. Another option to do as a second stage after the shackles would be to have the springs re-bent to add more lift. This is somthing that most spring shops are able to do according to Chad.

I am contacting one of my TTORA friends to see of they can help me fab up a set. If someone from the Forum can fab these up and is interested in helping out that would be a plus! From this conversation with Chad it seems we are on the right track.

Oh, he also said he was NOT impressed with the lift kit currently available for the H3 saying it is not made for off road use. Interesting...

Same here, been told by several people not to lift the truck. I'm so glad he agrees. Awesome Job Rob!!! (hey that rhymes)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Hummer Guru

Can someone explain the difference between a Suspension lift and a Body Lift???

And under what circumstances would you do one vs. the other?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Hummer Guru

A body lift is where you place spacers between the frame of the truck and the body (the part that you ride in ). It lifts the body higher into the air. It would give you more clearance at the rocker panels (if you modded the rocker rails to be closer to the body again) but would not solve the frame to ground clearance issue.

A suspension lift raises the entire vehicle (frame AND body) higher into the air.

Does this help?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Of course

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
A body lift is where you place spacers between the frame of the truck and the body (the part that you ride in ). It lifts the body higher into the air. It would give you more clearance at the rocker panels (if you modded the rocker rails to be closer to the body again) but would not solve the frame to ground clearance issue.

A suspension lift raises the entire vehicle (frame AND body) higher into the air.

Does this help?

quick addition - depending on the size of the wheel wells (or with trimming) you can usually fit larger tires, which improves your frame clearance somewhat.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks Wisha, but it would probably take a lot of trimming to go the next size up from 35's.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Ipedog

Thanks for the race truck suspension info

When will we get a V8? Or do I have to buy the T-bars that go with it?

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
You are so smart

Let's get some longer shackels made....who do we know here that can do that for us???

I made a pair of extended shackles for mine this weekend. Took all of about an hour to make and install. I will take a few pics to night and post.
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
Ipedog

Thanks for the race truck suspension info

When will we get a V8? Or do I have to buy the T-bars that go with it?

I get the feeling that the V8 and the T-Bars that go with it are currently made of that special material known as UNOBTANIUM
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestwick
I made a pair of extended shackles for mine this weekend. Took all of about an hour to make and install. I will take a few pics to night and post.

Details and Pics!!! DO NOW!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

Quote:
Details and Pics!!! DO NOW!!!

Well I adjusted the front torsion bars up as high as I think the truck will allow and the rear was an inch or so lower then the front.
I went to a friends welding shop and got a length of 1 1/2 by 1/4 by about 3 foot length of steel and took it back to the dealership/shop and got started. First I measured the factory ones which were 3 1/2 inches center of bolt to center of bolt. As many of you know form the last few days of posts if you lengthen the shackles you will effectively raise the truck half the length. I only need a inch, inch and a half. So I measured out an extra 2 1/2 inches and marked them at 6 inches hole to hole with an extra 3/4 inch past, for a total bar length of 7 1/2 inches, cut 4 pieces, drilled holes centered side to side and 6" centered. add some black paint of course.

To install I raised the truck on the hoist and supported the axle, removing the old shackle and installing new bars one side at a time. The only thing I haven't done with them yet is you should have a tie bar welded in between the 2 sides for support similar to the shackles pictured preveously in thread. I plan to do this soon but wanted to see how truck looked and handled before final welding..as you can see in the pics they extend past the bumper about 2 inches.. I have not tested off road much but have taken it on the test track out back and it didn't hit anything.

I am also replacing the shocks. The stock shocks work fine but they have a limited travel. The stock shocks fully extended are 24" I am replacing with BDS shocks that extend to 26". This should give me another 4 inches or so drop at the rear tire when fully extended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummer lift 014.jpg (127.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpe hummer lift 004.JPE (14.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg hummer lift 015.jpg (142.0 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg hummer lift 016.jpg (139.6 KB, 287 views)
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Hummer Guru

How many more of these did you say you were making????
Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Can someone explain the difference between a Suspension lift and a Body Lift???

And under what circumstances would you do one vs. the other?

Hockey pucks between the frame and body. 1-3". More clearance for tires, no more clearance for suspension. Would help if you could get it to fix 37's, which won't happen w/a 1 or probably even a 3" body lift.

Suspension involved either springs, shackles, hangers, etc - anything under the frame. Best for moving the frame up - works well for tires as well as frame.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestwick
Well I adjusted the front torsion bars up as high as I think the truck will allow and the rear was an inch or so lower then the front.
I went to a friends welding shop and got a length of 1 1/2 by 1/4 by about 3 foot length of steel and took it back to the dealership/shop and got started. First I measured the factory ones which were 3 1/2 inches center of bolt to center of bolt. As many of you know form the last few days of posts if you lengthen the shackles you will effectively raise the truck half the length. I only need a inch, inch and a half. So I measured out an extra 2 1/2 inches and marked them at 6 inches hole to hole with an extra 3/4 inch past, for a total bar length of 7 1/2 inches, cut 4 pieces, drilled holes centered side to side and 6" centered. add some black paint of course.

To install I raised the truck on the hoist and supported the axle, removing the old shackle and installing new bars one side at a time. The only thing I haven't done with them yet is you should have a tie bar welded in between the 2 sides for support similar to the shackles pictured preveously in thread. I plan to do this soon but wanted to see how truck looked and handled before final welding..as you can see in the pics they extend past the bumper about 2 inches.. I have not tested off road much but have taken it on the test track out back and it didn't hit anything.

I am also replacing the shocks. The stock shocks work fine but they have a limited travel. The stock shocks fully extended are 24" I am replacing with BDS shocks that extend to 26". This should give me another 4 inches or so drop at the rear tire when fully extended.

Looks great! A couple questions:

When you installed the space (for the frame mount), did you put a bushing in there? Does it squeek?

Any flexing on the upside. What I mean is when you move the tires up, how do the springs flex up? It looks like the shackle angle might prevent upward travel (because it can't flex inward towards the axle). I'd be curious to see how it ends up working.

Oh yeah, this is some good stuff. Take pics of it offroad. Sell a set to Bebe before next weekend and let her try them out at Moab!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
Oh yeah, this is some good stuff. Take pics of it offroad. Give a set to Bebe before next weekend and let her try them out at Moab!!!!!!!!! She's your Queen ya'know

Fissed
Old 08-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Cestwick -

Very nice work! How do you like it?

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind...
  • If you refer to my last post on page 1 (illustrating the A-B-C points to Bebe) do you have before and after measurements from the ground to the bottom of the hanger A?
  • How many cranks of the T-Bars did you make from the stock settings?
  • How high are the tops of the bumpers above the ground, front and rear?
  • How much clearance do you have up front now? Distance from ground to center of front skid at its lowest point?
  • How is the ride in comparison to before the mod?
Additionally, if you don't mind...
  • Going out on the test track could you please take pics of the shackles when the truck is fully flexed? (One wheel stuffed, the other drooping as far as it can) What I want to see is what the shackles are doing when the wheels are in this position.
I'm sure that I'll have more questions soon. I hope that this isn't too much trouble.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Looking into Gabriel or Monroe air shocks as a low cost and low tech alternative to body lift solution. This worked on my other 4x quite well. For $85.00 this offers a variable mix based on air pressure (25lb -200lb)to match what is tweaked on my front torsion adjustments (2x-5x)...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Hummer Guru

cestwick -

I have another question for you, one that may require input from the service dept...
  • How has the pinion angle been affected? Do you get vibration in the drivetrain now?
Thanks in advance! Especially for being the poor experimental guinea pig!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Looking into Gabriel or Monroe air shocks as a low cost and low tech alternative to body lift solution. This worked on my other 4x quite well. For $85.00 this offers a variable mix based on air pressure (25lb -200lb)to match what is tweaked on my front torsion adjustments (2x-5x)...

Are you sure this works for off-roading? I know air shocks work great for leveling a truck while towing, and can be used for lift when driving on pavement. But...air shocks only provide lift while inflated, and when they are inflated, they don't provide compression, which means you can't stuff the tire. If you can't stuff the tire on one side, it won't articulate down on the other. Seems like air shocks would provide a great way to lift a truck, but a poor way to lift a truck while offroading (when it's really needed, unless you are driving over some seriously high curbs at the mall). Just my 2 cents...