H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no rattle here in MI, and it has been colder than a "you know what." Finally took it to the dealer and got a new PS pump pulley to stop the squeak, and that has not returned.
You have a good idea about pulling the clutch fan and running the engine on a cold morning to see if this fixes the problem. Engine would not be hurt. I would suggest the dealer do this.
I'm at a loss guys. I have listened to at least six H3 starting up on very cold mornings, and not one had a rattle, only two had the belt squeak.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

How about if we try getting this data. I have the metallic rattle and I noticed that when I start the engine the fan is engaged for about a minute (even after the H3 sets all night in 20 F weather). You can hear the fan noise when you rev the engine slightly.

Can you say if: 1) you have the noise and 2) you hear the fan noise when starting a cold engine.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:13 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

If I remember correctly F5 said the fan mech is not electronic rather it has a heat sensitive bushing in it which when it reaches a certain temp the bushing expands and engages the fan itself causing it to rotate.

The fan mech and snout not the fan should always spin but again when the bushing heats the play goes away the bushing expands and the fan turns with the fan shaft.

Why then do our fans run instantly when the H3 is cold?

Th electronic fan mechs turn on when the sensor reaches temp and tells the computer to turn the fan on...if ours is not like this why does it spin when its 20 outside?

And not to beat a dead horse mine does not do it (the metal rattle sound) when the temps are higher...it was 78 today here in GA and it did not do it last week when it was 32 it was a loud rattle

Makes no sense to me really..
Old 03-02-2006, 12:47 PM

boulderhummer is off the scale

hey guys,
alot of posts here, and i'm a bit confused. i too have the same rattle on cold mornings and it goes away in a few minutes.
Whats the best course of action here? Heard a few possible problems regarding the noise. Should we take the truck back to dealer, let them keep overnight to try and locate and fix this?
Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 01:00 PM

Yes plese take it in...due to scheduling I have been unable to do this.

My feeling is it is either the clytch fan mech or the belt tensioner.

This am it was 68 and I had the rattle, used to be it only did it when cold....now I am not convinced of that.

I did this am pop the hood and noticed the belt tensioner moving quite a bit and after the rattle went away I did her some noise from the tensioner perhaps it is the culprit? just cant be sure.

If you could take it in and leave it you would be helping a lot of people here on this thread.

The serpentine belt swap and the pullys being cleaned is not the fix so please tell them this.

It is in the front of the motor and I am almost 99% sure it is not a sheild of some kind
ie: exhaust shield or plastic motor cover.

thanks Boulder keep us updated.

UNO
Old 03-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bruce is off the scale

OK the page in the manual is 5-33 it talks about the engine fan noise and says at the end ..

You may hear this fan noise when you start the engine. It will go away as the fan clutch disengages.
Is this the thing everyone is wondering about
Bruce
XM Radio
33\' Tires
Stainless Steel Brush Guard
Stainless Steel Side Tubs
LOVE IT.

!993 Corvette Red Pushing 400HP
Perfect Condition.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 AM

No the mnual is describing the ffan air movement noise the noise we have is a metal to metal rattle...definately not normal
Old 03-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

Bruce is off the scale

but some people are complaining about a squeling like mine. i dont have a metal to metal rattle. i have a squelling. is mine normal then?
thanks
XM Radio
33\' Tires
Stainless Steel Brush Guard
Stainless Steel Side Tubs
LOVE IT.

!993 Corvette Red Pushing 400HP
Perfect Condition.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM

Its so damn cold here in PA,,i may not have to leave the truck overnight,,maybe just hang out for a bit.I'll report back, but it won't be soon, moving the family next week, so i have all that **** to deal with.
we'll get to the bottom of it..
thanks for the info unomyflo, narrowing it down is half the problem
Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 PM

there are 2 different noises. one is the squealing which IMO is a belt change or the tensioner needs to be replaced F5 posted a tsb on this and I believe he had his tensioner replaced.

the metal to metal rattle is different although it also comes from the front of the motor.

we are thinking clutch fan mech or tensioner is bad.

I personally had the belt replaced and the tensioner checked and they said it was fine.

I still have the rattle.

hope this helps..

I think the noise you have is the easier fix and yes I would take it down...I believe earlier in this thd the tsb for the squeal is listed bring it to the dealer...but they should know about it.....they wiull replace the belt and clean the pullys thee was some coolant contaminant on the pullys from the factory aparently which has cused the belts to squeal

UNO
Old 03-03-2006, 12:50 PM

no problem boulder if the dealer wasnt 2 hrs from me I would have had a diagnosis long ago..I am tired of hearing it to be honest.

super busy here also my 8 year old chocolate lab has cancer and I have a 20mo old boy and a 4mo old girl at home and my wife works 11p-7a thurs friday and sat.....I have my hands full... the noise has taken last priority ya know?

thanks boulder good luck on the move (moving sucks in general) cant imagine doing it with kids, almost have to get the new place set up totally then bring them in right? depending on the age of the child.

where are you moving from and where to? still in CO? how cold is it there? dude it was 32 here 4 days ago and yesterday it was over 80 the temp change here in SE GA is brutal....not complaining on the warmth but damn 48 deg difference? never did that in CT where I grew up and lived till 30 years old...been in GA for 8 still not used to it.....

take care keep me/us posted you do have the metal/to metal sounding rattle right? not the squeal?

I think we have 2 different nboises here proably should have a separate thd for each rattle thd and the squeal thd.

I have the metal rattle hopefully we get a fix for this soon.....

thnx UNO
Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM

thanks unomyflo, your right moving sucks,,,suburbs of philly pa here, 30 minutes north of the city, not moving far from there..
good luck with your situation too...
Old 03-23-2006, 04:52 PM

any word on this from the dealer anyone?

"the rattle"

I still havent made it into the dealer yet.

thanks
UNO
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone put a gates belt on instead of a gm ? i heard thats a fix and also a small amount of silicone lubricant on edges of power steering pulley . i had mine fixed was good for about 5k miles and came back .
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 03-24-2006, 04:55 AM

kennyosemite is off the scale

No solution comment here . . . just want to commend everyone for their camaraderie. This forum is awesome. I'm still 5 weeks from delivery of my truck and feel the groove as though the problems were my own. Nice to know the caliber of good people here.