H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless Start-Up?

do the functions that come with the factory alarm still work with the viper system?:

>>such as locking the doors when shifting out of park and then unlocking only the drivers door when in park (or how ever you set the doors to lock/unlock), or will that have to be setup separately with the new system.

>>also the feature where it doesnt let you lock the drivers door if you have the key in the ignition.

What im trying to ask actually is if i would still be able to change these features by myself through the process in the H3 owners manual or would they have to be setup and changed if needed through the new alarm (most likely an installer will have to do).

Thanks
Marin
Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Yes, factory features will be retained. Most of those features don't have anything to do with the factory alarm anyways. Changing settings on aftermarket alarms such as Viper are simple, it's just a combination of opening/closing doors, cycling through menus using the valet button and pressing a button on the remote.

Example to make the parking lights constant instead of flashing when remote starting... open door, turn key to on then back off, press and hold the valet button until the led flashes three times, then press the valet button 4 times, then once more and hold it, press lock on the transmitter, let go of valet button...close the door. done.

As for the new alarm question you had, I've never used it, but heard about it. Sounds great though, and just as good as the other responder ones. I might have to upgrade and get it myself!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Hummer Guru

I think I'm going to go check out the Clifford Matrix Responder SST tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
Yes, factory features will be retained. Most of those features don't have anything to do with the factory alarm anyways. Changing settings on aftermarket alarms such as Viper are simple, it's just a combination of opening/closing doors, cycling through menus using the valet button and pressing a button on the remote.

Example to make the parking lights constant instead of flashing when remote starting... open door, turn key to on then back off, press and hold the valet button until the led flashes three times, then press the valet button 4 times, then once more and hold it, press lock on the transmitter, let go of valet button...close the door. done.

As for the new alarm question you had, I've never used it, but heard about it. Sounds great though, and just as good as the other responder ones. I might have to upgrade and get it myself!

True, but one added "feature," is the doors automatically lock after the vehicle is started now with the Viper installed; at least on mine. If you stop and put in park, the doors unlock and will lock automatically when shifted back into gear. It's like the Viper added a lock function 3 seconds after starting the vehicle.

DEI, what other functions can be changed? They didn't give me a list of what could be changed on how to reprogram the unit.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
True, but one added "feature," is the doors automatically lock after the vehicle is started now with the Viper installed; at least on mine. If you stop and put in park, the doors unlock and will lock automatically when shifted back into gear. It's like the Viper added a lock function 3 seconds after starting the vehicle.

DEI, what other functions can be changed? They didn't give me a list of what could be changed on how to reprogram the unit.

Yeah, the ignition lock/unlock can be turned off, if you want to keep it the factory way. Check out this guide, features you can change start on page 42.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...564V_07-05.pdf
Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Yeah, the ignition lock/unlock can be turned off, if you want to keep it the factory way. Check out this guide, features you can change start on page 42.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...564V_07-05.pdf

Fantastic...thanks, when I get my Hummer back, I'll turn off that immediate door lock feature. It can be aggravating at times.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3HUMMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Only thing transmitted via Satellite on Onstar is the signal from the GPS satellites to the Onstar module. Voice communications are via digital verizon network, and one 6.1 version modules and older, there is an Analog backup via Verizon.
When you place a call on Onstar you go out via the little black antenna that is attached to the black wart on top of the H3. The wart contains the XM and the Onstar GPS antennas. (Wart is the engineering term for the three-phase antenna. )
When you initiate a call to Onstar and ask for your location, the Onstar operator pings the Onstar module which has your location via the GPS system.

As for which is better. Lojack relies (or used to rely) on the local police having the equipment, which LoJack gave them to track. Smaller police departments did not have the equipment, so if the vehicle was stolen in the middle of nowhere (like Moab ), no way to locate the vehicle.
Onstar can locate almost anywhere there is voice communications via Verizon or one of their contracted service providers they offer for roaming.
If you are in a parking garage, you might be able to obtain cell service, but you will most likely lose GPS coverage. My Garmin, which is twice as sensitive as the GPS used in the vehicle, can't receive satellite coverage in a building with multiple floors or with metal/concrete ceiling, unless it is near a window or large opening. Near a large window or opening, the GPS might be able to get a signal from one or two satellites which will give your location pretty close.
Now, if Lojack has switched to GPS satellites, they will have the same limitations as Onstar.

Best feature of Onstar (versus first year free) is no special equipment is required by the Law, and the operators can track the police right to the vehicle. They also have a good reputation with the police. Onstar's range is only limited by the cell phone coverage, and with the older units (6.1 and older), with the capability of analog service, the coverage (until next year when analog goes completely away) is pretty darn good in the USA.

I know about VERIZON they suck trust me. 6 year merger
GTE AND BELL ALANTIC
Old 10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3HUMMER
I know about VERIZON they suck trust me. 6 year merger
GTE AND BELL ALANTIC

I don't understand what you are trying to say, other than give a personal opinion of Verizon. I can contradict that with the fact I have had Verizon for about four years, and never had a problem with their service or coverage. So, guess I can't trust you.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

aetherH3 is off the scale

I went down to Circuit City to get some information on the DEI Valet 561R and they fed me some BS about needing a Python alarm and two different bypasses. Out the door would have been ~$450... For that i would rather walk outside, start my car, go inside and have a glass of OJ while its warming up...

How hard are these to install?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherH3
I went down to Circuit City to get some information on the DEI Valet 561R and they fed me some BS about needing a Python alarm and two different bypasses. Out the door would have been ~$450... For that i would rather walk outside, start my car, go inside and have a glass of OJ while its warming up.
LOL for $450 I'll fly over and start it for you.

I had the Viper (and big stereo job) installed on my Explorer but sadly I just paid the entire bill. However, the install was not difficult for them. One feature of my Viper can is has module to roll up and down my windows. I love this feature and have had good fun with the remote start in scaring people. I tried to get the window module installed in the sun roof. However, the sun roof had 3 positions: open/close/vent, and the window module could only do 2. (This may have been changed since my install.) For example, windows open, doors unlocked, and sun roof open. Alarm the system and doors locks, windows go up, and sun roof went to vent. We just took it out. The motion sensor inside would hand extrance to the vehicle, but if it rains the sun roof might still be open.

You can get a 2nd, 3rd, ... opinion on the install process. My shop was an independent shop with smarts. I want to find a good shop here but here my choices are probably even worse than yours.

You can ask DEI via their web site about the Viper and Python. Be aware it can take a LONG time for a response. The following is a reponse from them I rec'd after 2 weeks (really 2 weeks):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed Electronics email response

A reply to your request has been made:
Ticket Number: 125954304

The Reply:
hi The Valet 561T uses the factory remote..

[b]ORIGINAL REQUEST:[/n]
Can you tell me if DEI offers a remote start system that utilizes the original OEM key fob remote and not a DEI remote? Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Hummer Guru

Try places that specialize in car alarms, I've never been a fan of Circuit City/Best Buy install work. A Viper 791XV is usually around $400-$500 installed.

Installing security is easy, but the remote start part can be tricky... if you don't have much experience in vehicle wiring, I'd say have someone else do it. You have to measure some resistance, route/hide wires, make your own bypass with relays since the dei one for the h3 is useless.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Hummer Guru

My 791XV, a second responder remote (yes, it only comes with one), and install was $495.00, including tax.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

aetherH3 is off the scale

All i want is Remote start... THATS IT!!! i don't want an alarm because frankly, i don't need one in my town. Its small enough and i live in a remote enough area, i just leave my doors unlocked sometimes for fun!

Honestly though, i just want remote start... any suggestions? i called some audio install places and one quoted me 350 for the Valet unit installed... Still high considering its a 75.00 unit.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Hummer Authority

hey guys, im gona have the Viper SST installed tomorow, and i just wanted to ask if you had any suggestions on which sensor to install. It will have a shock sensor, but in addition to that should i get:

> ultrasonic sensor
> sound sensor
> Field disturbance sensor

Which would be best?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Cool, how much installed is it going to be?

Go with the sound (glass break) sensor. The others would do more good if you had a convertible, otherwise they are just annoying and draw negative attention.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Hummer Authority

including one of the extra sensors and instalation, and also some moving lights or something (i think he called it scaner??) it will cost me exactly $780. The MSRP for the sytem is $659. He probably gets it for alot less though.

Its a little more than i wanted to spend but who cares .

The installer also suggested the sound sensor, but i wanted to check in with you guys to see what you say, cauze i dont really have any experience with car alarms, except turning them on and off .

thanks
marin
Old 10-14-2006, 03:04 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherH3
All i want is Remote start... THATS IT!!! i don't want an alarm because frankly, i don't need one in my town. Its small enough and i live in a remote enough area, i just leave my doors unlocked sometimes for fun!

Honestly though, i just want remote start... any suggestions? i called some audio install places and one quoted me 350 for the Valet unit installed... Still high considering its a 75.00 unit.

if it only costs 75 bucks, $275 sounds like a bit much for instalation alone. I might be wrong .
Old 10-14-2006, 03:09 AM
Hummer Guru

Ouch, $780. The clifford matrix rsx 3.5 msrp is $600, but I think dealers get it for something like $200-$250. I bought mine new for $230. I imagine the sst is similar in pricing, quite the markup!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Ouch, $780. The clifford matrix rsx 3.5 msrp is $600, but I think dealers get it for something like $200-$250. I bought mine new for $230. I imagine the sst is similar in pricing, quite the markup!

yea, i overpaid, but if it does the job, i dont really care, i rather have peace of mind than 300 or 400 bucks in my pocket (both would be best ). I'll get pissed of if i have a problem with it or something of that sort.

I was planning on going with the clifford sst, but the installer didnt have it in stock, and i wanted to get it put in as soon as possible. theres been some increase in theft around here lately, and i just installed a pioneer Z1 (several weeks ago), so kind of want to protect my investment.

i really like the responder remotes, you actully know when somethings goin on, so you can go and take care of it yourself, instead of reliyng on the assumption that the crook will freak and run, or that someone else may help.

from what i am able to tell from the specs is that viper sst and clifford sst are basically the same system, different labeling. Maybe difference in reliability, but dont know. I like the color/design of the clifford remotes, like a carbon fiber look.

Last edited by marin8703 : 10-14-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Yeah, it will last as long as the truck as well... so if you think of it that way it's not bad. Viper and clifford are the same, just different styling.