H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wireless Start-Up?

hey i got a couple of questions for you guys with viper or clifford alarms. The viper SST i got doest dissable engine start up. My dads viper almost same model( its just not an sst) disables his starter.

With this new alarm i got, when its armed, and i put the key in the ignition, the alarm starts sounding, but the engine starts fine. Isnt it supposed to be dissbaled?

also, the factory alarm is basically still active and i can use it instead of the viper. I tried the same thing on it and the car started. Doesnt the factory alarm dissable the starter or fuel pump or something?

Is something extra needed to disable the starter or whatever is dissabled, or did the installer not do it? I tried calling when i found out, so i can ask him, but they closed for the weekend couple of hours ago.

oh and also with this viper sst, is it supposed to turn the interior lights on and off with arming and disarming just like the factory setup, or do these clifford/viper not do this?

Thanks!!

Last edited by marin8703 : 10-15-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

I don't have an aftermarket alarm on my HUMMER. The following is, however, my experience with my Ford Explorer and its 10 year old Viper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
With this new alarm i got, when its armed, and i put the key in the ignition, the alarm starts sounding, but the engine starts fine. Isnt it supposed to be dissbaled?
With my Viper armed and alarm sounding, I can place the key in the ignition and start it. I use this way to quickly get the alarm to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
Also, the factory alarm is basically still active and i can use it instead of the viper. I tried the same thing on it and the car started. Doesnt the factory alarm dissable the starter or fuel pump or something?
My factory system is still there and alive. I have once locked/armed the vehicle--accidently--one night with the factory fob. The next day unlocked with the Viper fob. When I got in the (factory) alarm went into action. In this case the key would not stop the maddnes.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply, but when the alarm is sounding and i put the key in the ignition and start it, it starts and it doesnt turn off the alarm. I dont get that, either it should stop sounding and start, or keep sounding and not stop, rite?

On my mothers ford escape, the keys have a little transducer or watever it called, so when the alarm is sounding if you put the key in, the sound stops and the car starts, if the key is demagnatized (it happened to me once) the alarm will sound and the vehicle will not start. I know the h3 doest use that transducer key, i think someone said it uses passkey or something like that.

The viper sst i got does say it has failsafe starter kill. So why doesnt this expensive as hell doorstop kill the deam starter . Could the reason be that the installer might not have used a bypass module or something else that may be needed, cauze on the invoice, he charged me only for the alarm, a sensor, lights, and instrall. Doesnt say anything else.

Does anyone have any idea why this is, what i described in my previuos post.

Thanks for replies!
Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Hummer Professional

While you are waiting for the members here to answer, go over to the DEI site and see if there is something in their FAQs. If not send them an email. I sent them an email a little while back, and it took 2 weeks exactly to answer. Not zippy -- but at least you might get something directly from the "horses mouth".

0215 at this end...night.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

aetherH3 is off the scale

I called DEI the other day to ask about the Valet 561R Remote Start. The technician told me that is the ONLY thing required. I shouldn't need any bypasses for it to install on the H3. Circuit City blows goats.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have DEI's number? I stopped over to Circuit City the other day

and I think they tried to feed me a line of BS as well. I'd lik to chat with DEI and then the manager at CC - and his f'n goats.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
Do you have DEI's number?
http://www.directed.com/contact/default.asp
1-800-876-0800, 1-760-598-6200 (Vista, CA)
Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

My factory passkey system is still active; in other words, without A key, the vehicle will not run (starts/stalls).
The VIPER system requires me to insert the key, and push the hidden bypass button to start the vehicle if the alarm is sounding. To be honest, I can't remember if it cranked or just didn't start, this feature was demonstrated by the installer months ago. All I can say is it would not start and turn off the alarm, until he pressed the button a certain number of times.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Thanks for the info MountainBiker!!

Last edited by H3.007 : 10-26-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Hummer Expert

I just spoke with the dealership from which I bought my H3. They told me they are very, very wary of remote starters as they can damage or interrupt proper computer system and systems communication on the H3s and many other vehicles. Their response is below:

"I distrust aftermarket remote start systems - period.

Over the years, I have had bad experiences with them both in malfunctions of the units themselves, and collateral damages that they can cause. If one of these systems were to damage any other system in your vehicle, your warranty would be void on that system. Furthermore, if there is even the doubt that the remote start system caused collateral failure your warranty of that failure would be called into question.

Additionally, if you were to defeat the factory theft system in order to make the aftermarket remote start system function (as most of them do) there may be insurance ramifications if you vehicle were ever stolen.

Overall these are my feelings. Although the remote start feature is sure convenient (especially in the winter months) vehicles have become so advanced that any ?foreign? system becomes an unwelcome system (as it does not play well with the others). Your H3 speaks across a class 2 data line where all of the modules (read- computers) ?speak? to each other and ?handshake?. Just as if in a verbal conversation with a group of people, you would not be able to understand someone speaking Mandarin Chinese."

This guy has been very helpful in the past. Is he being overly cautious or is there real concern here? I'd hate to blow the warranty.

Thx!

Last edited by H3.007 : 10-26-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I just spoke with the dealership from which I bought my H3. They told me they are very, very wary of remote starters as they can damage or interrupt proper computer system and systems communication on the H3s and many other vehicles. Their response is below:

"I distrust aftermarket remote start systems - period.

Over the years, I have had bad experiences with them both in malfunctions of the units themselves, and collateral damages that they can cause. If one of these systems were to damage any other system in your vehicle, your warranty would be void on that system. Furthermore, if there is even the doubt that the remote start system caused collateral failure your warranty of that failure would be called into question.

Additionally, if you were to defeat the factory theft system in order to make the aftermarket remote start system function (as most of them do) there may be insurance ramifications if you vehicle were ever stolen.

Overall these are my feelings. Although the remote start feature is sure convenient (especially in the winter months) vehicles have become so advanced that any ?foreign? system becomes an unwelcome system (as it does not play well with the others). Your H3 speaks across a class 2 data line where all of the modules (read- computers) ?speak? to each other and ?handshake?. Just as if in a verbal conversation with a group of people, you would not be able to understand someone speaking Mandarin Chinese."

This guy has been very helpful in the past. Is he being overly cautious or is there real concern here? I'd hate to blow the warranty.

Thx!

Tis the truth he speaks. However, any aftermarket system, such as my VIPER alarm and even my AVIC-Z1, can cause a problem with the electrical system.
However, if the installer knows his vehicles and products, and can stand by his/her installation, there should be no problems. Using places like Best Buy, Circuit City, ABC Applicances, etc., is not what I would consider a good move. Sorry I may be generalizing all the stores, but the ones I have spoken to in the past, were not qualified to install new speakers, let alone a complicated system such as a DEI manufactured alarm/remote starter system.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Hummer Expert

I am starting to realize that some of these "experts" at CC and the such are boneheads they have hored off of the street. How does one know if they are certified to do the work?

It seems lik they have one guy who does know what he is talking about and the rest don't. I'd go to an independent dealer but what would happen if I was on the other side of the state or country for that matter and something happened to the system? If I have it installed at a national chain, they would be able to more easily address the problem and honor the warranties on parts and labor, yes?

This is just my head spinning too fast with too many ands, ifs, and buts; however, I would like to make the best move for long term investment.

To be fair to CC, and I am very hesitant to do so after all of this recent BS, they did install my starter in the Explorer and I never once had a problem.

This is such a pain in the pants hanger.