Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > In the News

Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM

HummerN23 is off the scale

eco-terrorists

Protestors in 16 Cities Demand Ban on Ads for Environmentally Destructive Hummers
Tue Nov 11,10:58 AM ET

To: National Desk, Environment Reporter

Contact: Chesapeake Climate Action Network, 301-920-1644 or 240-460-5838; e-mail ccan@chesapeakeclimate.org

WASHINGTON, Nov. 11 /U.S. Newswire/ -- More than ten percent of all Hummer dealerships in America will be protested this Saturday (November 15th) by activists seeking to ban all radio and TV advertising for the 10,000-pound vehicles in the same way that ads for deadly cigarettes are banned.

While contributing enormously to global warming (news - web sites), air pollution, and childhood asthma, the 10-miles-per-gallon Hummers -- made by General Motors -- are a huge threat to children and other car passengers who share the road with the Brinks Truck-like vehicles. Yet GM is now flooding our TV and radio airwaves with ads for the vehicles, including ads that market the monsters directly to children.

"A generation ago, cigarette makers flooded our airwaves with ads that made smoking -- which is a direct threat to human health -- seem cool to all of us, including our vulnerable children," said Mike Tidwell, director of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network, one of dozens of groups protesting the Hummers under the banner of Citizens for Vehicle Responsibility. "Appropriately, as a society, we have now protected ourselves and our children from destructive cigarette marketing. But unless we do the same for Hummers, we are hurting our kids' health as much as putting cigarette machines in all of our schools."

As part of the "National Protest Day Against Hummers," activists will spend hours this Saturday, November 15th, demonstrating against Hummer dealerships with chants, banners, and placards in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Fort Lauderdale, New York, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and ten other cities.

In addition to the advertising ban, protestors are calling on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) to begin crash-test studies of Hummers, which presently are not required. And activists are demanding that Congress close the outrageous tax loophole that allows U.S. businesses to deduct up to $100,000-worth of the cost of Hummers and other large SUVs from their federal taxes. This unconscionable tax deduction forces all Americans to subsidize the environmental and health impacts of these behemoths.

The national Hummer protest will be launched with a press conference at Greenbelt Capitol Hummer dealership (6500 Capitol Drive) in the Washington, D.C. suburb of Greenbelt, Md. on Friday, November 14th at 11:00 a.m. Speakers include representatives from health, environmental, faith, and children's advocacy groups.

For more information or to contact protestors in your area, call the Chesapeake Climate Action Network at 301-920-1644 or email ccan@chesapeakeclimate.org.

http://www.usnewswire.com/
Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM

HummerN23 is off the scale

eco-terrorists

Protestors in 16 Cities Demand Ban on Ads for Environmentally Destructive Hummers
Tue Nov 11,10:58 AM ET

To: National Desk, Environment Reporter

Contact: Chesapeake Climate Action Network, 301-920-1644 or 240-460-5838; e-mail ccan@chesapeakeclimate.org

WASHINGTON, Nov. 11 /U.S. Newswire/ -- More than ten percent of all Hummer dealerships in America will be protested this Saturday (November 15th) by activists seeking to ban all radio and TV advertising for the 10,000-pound vehicles in the same way that ads for deadly cigarettes are banned.

While contributing enormously to global warming (news - web sites), air pollution, and childhood asthma, the 10-miles-per-gallon Hummers -- made by General Motors -- are a huge threat to children and other car passengers who share the road with the Brinks Truck-like vehicles. Yet GM is now flooding our TV and radio airwaves with ads for the vehicles, including ads that market the monsters directly to children.

"A generation ago, cigarette makers flooded our airwaves with ads that made smoking -- which is a direct threat to human health -- seem cool to all of us, including our vulnerable children," said Mike Tidwell, director of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network, one of dozens of groups protesting the Hummers under the banner of Citizens for Vehicle Responsibility. "Appropriately, as a society, we have now protected ourselves and our children from destructive cigarette marketing. But unless we do the same for Hummers, we are hurting our kids' health as much as putting cigarette machines in all of our schools."

As part of the "National Protest Day Against Hummers," activists will spend hours this Saturday, November 15th, demonstrating against Hummer dealerships with chants, banners, and placards in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Fort Lauderdale, New York, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and ten other cities.

In addition to the advertising ban, protestors are calling on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) to begin crash-test studies of Hummers, which presently are not required. And activists are demanding that Congress close the outrageous tax loophole that allows U.S. businesses to deduct up to $100,000-worth of the cost of Hummers and other large SUVs from their federal taxes. This unconscionable tax deduction forces all Americans to subsidize the environmental and health impacts of these behemoths.

The national Hummer protest will be launched with a press conference at Greenbelt Capitol Hummer dealership (6500 Capitol Drive) in the Washington, D.C. suburb of Greenbelt, Md. on Friday, November 14th at 11:00 a.m. Speakers include representatives from health, environmental, faith, and children's advocacy groups.

For more information or to contact protestors in your area, call the Chesapeake Climate Action Network at 301-920-1644 or email ccan@chesapeakeclimate.org.

http://www.usnewswire.com/
Old 11-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not know my truck weighed 10k. I am going to the dealership here Saturday to wave.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 11-11-2003, 10:42 PM

unaslob is off the scale

you know... this is exactally why someone out there has to come up with a plow! unaslob
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 11-12-2003, 12:32 AM

Centerfire is off the scale

Can someone call the protestors and let them know I will be parking my H2 and Sub in front of my store on Saturday.. and Will ask the H1 owners who come in to do so too... Man I sure would love some free advertising..

Seriously.. The protestors will do nothing but get the Hummer dealer $1,000's of dollors worth of advertising for free.. The average 30 sec commercial during prime time news in Indy costs over $2,000 @ 30 sec spot..

I love free advertising.. In our busines we do get some every now and then.. Free is good..

Mike
POPGUNS Inc.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Mike - I bet you always wanted an outdoor range!

Grand Opening on Saturday!

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 11-12-2003, 02:40 AM

BAMFH2 is off the scale

That press release is friggin hilarious! Even if I didnt own "the child killing monster", I would be laughing my ass off. Who reads this pile of slag and actually goes..."Honey, don't let the kids watch those Hummer commercials...they are a threat to our poor children....just like cigarettes...evil..evil..."

I truly am laughing my ass off...I just can't believe someone is using the analogy of cigarettes and a Hummer!

I be there Saturday at my local dealer...very tempted to see if I can pass out cartons of Marlboros to all the kids I see...LOL.

Help Computers
www.helpcomputers.net
720-205-HELP

Member of the Denver Chapter of the S&B since 2003
Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

Out door added to the indoor range would be nice.. Some how just don't think I would get that one past the zoning board here in Indy.

Mike

Damn I still like to have some protestors.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Klaus:
Hey Mike - I bet you always wanted an outdoor range!

Grand Opening on Saturday!

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dick Renaud is off the scale

Here is some good environmental press.

Appeared in Woodall's November/December 2003 Midwest RV Traveler:

Hummer and Tread Lightly: Team up to Restore Recreation Sites.

OGDEN, UT - The national nonprofit organization Tread Lightly! and General Motors Hummer division announced Hummer Helps, a new partnership under the umbrella of Tread Lightly!'s Restoration for Recreation program aimed to promote socially responsible four-wheeling by enhancing recreational areas and educating the public about responsible outdoor use. Hummer and Tread Lightly! announced the new initiative at a trail cleanup event in Drummond Island, Mich.
Tread Lightly!, whose mission is to empower generations to enjoythe outdoors resposibly, received a $100,000. endowment from Hummer to specifically be administered as a grant-giving initiative. The endowment will be distributed to select outdoor enthusiast clubs that are Tread Lightly! members and have pinpointed recreational area in need.
The Resstoration for Recreation endowment was given to Tread Lightly! as part of a program within the Hummer division entuitled Hummer Helps. The program was created to recognize Hummer owners who have utilized their vehicle's capability for acts of Humanity.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:15 AM
Hummer Expert

Orbital H2 is off the scale

what ever happened to the protestors? I didn't see anything about it

H2 Black Lux, Air Suspension, AEM Intake, soon to be blacked out...
Black 02 Fatboy
300ZX TT 500Hp, 10.5Sec completely Blacked out, Wolfe Sport 600 Turbo, Billet Aluminum FlyWheel, Carbon Claw RPS Turbo Clutch, Dual Pop Intake, HKS Intercoolers/Exhaust