H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default link to PCM reader???

Hey all,
recently I was reading about a guy who found on ebay or amazon a PCM reader that actually works with your cell phone.
If I remember correctly it read codes, cleaned them, and reset your oil change life?
It was like 25 bucks or something from ebay, and I think I heard that the app for the phone was free???

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and how well it worked and if they had the link to either the H2 forum writeup or the link to where you can get it on ebay/amazon (and where to get the app for the phone)

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

ryaleon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: link to PCM reader???

I have it and it works great.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 PM

ryaleon,
do you have a link to where I can get t from and the software app to use it with my phone?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

well you dont need anything to reset, or change your oil life on the H2.. just need to RTFM

reading and clearing codes???

im persoanlly of the type that if it is something i will use often, then it makes sense to have an app for it.
if it is somethign that isnt used often, why install an app for it..

the other thing, why not put that $$$ towards a tuner that is actually used for somethign other than "Look what app i got"

i just fail to understand why spending $$ on somethign that really isnt useful. clearing codes isnt useful to me. already discussed the oil life.
reading codes.. i woudl stick to a tuner that is geared towards it and conenct to the ODB2 port and can give me real life data.

maybe this app does all that.../shrug
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Its called the elm 327 look for it on ebay. The android app i use is called torque. I have lots of vehicles and it works on every one of them. But all it does is read/clear codes.

Last edited by ryaleon : 06-18-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 AM

wow Hellz, was there a raw nerve that got brushed against when this subject came up?

first off, i assume the RTFM stands for "read the f'n manual"?
ummm yeah, ok
i am sure that the attitude wasnt directed at me.... was it?

anyways the thing is I was just stating that in certain cars you need to reset the oil with the programmer. Maybe not this one, but some

Yes i see your point, you say why get a crappy app for a phone that doesnt serve a purpose, when i should get the tuner.
The thing is there is a big difference here.
Well lets see, last I check the scanner tool is like 15 bucks, and the app is 5-10 bucks. So it comes out to be 25 bucks
So how would saving 25 dollars and putting it towards a 300-400 dollar tuner really save me alot.
Plus this will work with both my cars.
and in the end it does what i need right now and it does it for cheap.

Also, lets put this situation in front of us for the sake of you saying clearing codes is useless.
Do you know that the OBD retains history, and with history in the OBD it still sees it as a code, though not current.
Because of this things are effected by this code that is in history.
Ok so what if your TPS went out for a split second but it never went out again. it would be in the history but it would cause an issue and a mechanic could say oh yeah time to dish out some money for a new sensor.
Meanwhile if you cleared it and 6 months later it never showed the code again......
then ultimately you are the wiser and the richer for know more about your car and not spending money you dont need to spend.

and all this for 25 bucks

BTW, the OBD code reader comes free in the C5+ Vettes, should I not use that in my car and buy a 300-400 tuner to read my codes?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 AM

ryaleon,
thanks.
that is awesome
and the price is about what I remember someone saying it to be.

is this what you were talking about
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM32X-OBDII...em5640ba a265
Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-5-ELM327-...em27c612 d314

thats the one I got. Bluetooth.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Ryaleon,
You are the MAN!!
Bought and paid for and hope to see it next week
Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

wasnt directed to you, nor anyone in particular, more of just a general statement.

for the H2, and only the H2 as this is a forum about H2's, i just see this as more of a cool toy than a cool tool..

for other vehicles, obviously my comments dont apply.

If you do not have a tuner.. then yes, this would/could be something useful as it could help diagnosing problems.

my only issue is this app/device provides no other functionality. in all honesty, you can take your vehicle to most autoparts stores and they will scan/clear your codes for free.

but............................................... ....

I will admit my knowledge on this/these products are limited.. so how about a good review on it?

if someone here finds something useful, im not opposed to trying it ( yes even if i have a tuner).
does it give a pop up on your phone when a code is thrown?
does the app have to be running, or will it run in the background?
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

For me I only connect it to my phone and use the app when there is a code there. Like I said I have a lot of vehicles. 10+ So this little device saves me lots of time as I do not have to drive to an auto parts store to have them clear it. I live about 15 miles from the nearest town so this little device helps me out. But honestly I don't have a lot of codes thrown and I have only used it a handful of times.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

citiboy is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info, i just bought one....i'll see how it goes.

Toyo MT 38x13.50x18 on Rockstar. Green keys. 2" rear spacers. 1" bodylift. Cognito UCA, steering bracket, front stab links. Bilstein 5100 shocks & steering stab. Moog inner/outer TR, pitman, idler arm & bracket with remote zerk. E&G Classics fender flares. ARP 434-1301 ex. man. stud kit. Airaid perf. air filter. Crown brake lines. Warn PowerPlant HD. Rubberduck UCP. Gobi Ranger roof rack. DDM Tuning 55W HID Hi/Lo headlights. Hella fogs. Evans waterless coolant.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
ryaleon,
do you have a link to where I can get t from and the software app to use it with my phone?
Here is a thread a started a few months ago about the ELM327 and Torque Pro for Android. I had intended to do a full review but there is quite a bit of info to cover and all of it is already available on YouTube.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ghlight=elm327

I was able to buy the ELM327 and Torque Pro for just under $20. To me it is a tool I wanted to have on hand in case the need came up. I don't care to money around with the factory settings for my engine and transmission via a tuner.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 PM

thanks Vegas, just waiting on my to arrive

did all of yours (those that ordered) come from China/ Japan and take a while to ship to you?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
thanks Vegas, just waiting on my to arrive

did all of yours (those that ordered) come from China/ Japan and take a while to ship to you?
Not sure how helpful my post was, but you are quite welcome. I have only ordered one ELM327. If I remember correctly, it took about 3 weeks to arrive. Items ordered on eBay from China seem to range from 2 (rarely) to 5 weeks. 3 is pretty typical.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

glennf1 is on a distinguished road

I have the ELM327 and Torque also and it's good for the raw data too like sensors and O2's.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 AM

Does anyone know how or where or what the setting are for the H2 when setting up a profile.
I would like to try to use all the functions but of course, I dont know the engines displacement (in liters), or actual weight, and other information needed
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone know how or where or what the setting are for the H2 when setting up a profile.
I would like to try to use all the functions but of course, I dont know the engines displacement (in liters), or actual weight, and other information needed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummer_H2
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Though I have a tuner, I use a app for my iPhone called GoLink. The app is free, the OBDII cable is 99.00

It monitors a variety of things but the most important is the ability to reset codes on the fly.

There's been a couple of times that I put my foot in the gas and got a low pressure fuel light on (a couple of times in 25K miles)

Point is, out of all my tuners and computers (I have two Snap On diagnostic machines, one Mac and a Matco tool, two different tuners) the only one that allows me to clear lights on the fly is my iPhone app.

The best part is I can set up profiles for each car so it does as many cars as I want as opposed to one of my tuners which is only dedicated to one vehicle.

Well worth 99 bucks.

Mark