H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Photos of YOUR H2

Old 12-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Hummer Professional

Cranky Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

What else will you put in your Racks besides your spare? Post some pics of how you use them.

Founding Member of RCRC 4wd Club Scaramento, CA www.rcrc4x4.com
Pirate4x4.com Vendor & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator

Official Hummer Forums "Rice Grinder"

http://www.rocknroll4x4.com
http://rubicontrailpatrol.org/index.php
http://www.friendsoftherubicon.com/
http://www.Pirate4x4.com Tool and Shop Talk, Vendor, & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator
Old 12-02-2003, 08:38 PM

Detonate is off the scale

I have 3 EZ Up Tents that I take out with me to the lake when we go diving. They barely fit in the back of the H2 with both rear seats folded down, which means I can only transport me and my wife to the Lake.

Next time we go out I'll take a picture, but keep in mind it's winter, so not so sure when the next time we'll be loading up to go SCUBA diving.

There are lots of uses for the space up top. Ski Equipment, Canoe, basically anthing longer than what will fit in the back.

------------------------------
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:17 PM

HappyJack is off the scale

Cranky, I have kids a wife and a big dog.

I had a Suburban when I started looking for a new truck this summer. Like most of us I am a fun-hog and have lots of gear. I love to camp, dirt bike ride, mtn bike, snowboard, SCUBA and . . . Hell most of the time it didn't really fit in my Sub!

My wife said OK how are you going to live with an H2 after having all the room that a Suburban has? My answer was a roof rack.

We have to drive to my sisters at Christmas and my mom had to get my son a black RC Hummer H2 from Radio Shack (it is pretty cool, 4x4 and all). That box alone would fill up the space in the in the back of the Hummer!

4'x8' sheets of plywood, fit nicely on my rack too.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2003, 11:36 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

I don't know about that in todays enviroment.. In the knife industry. Spyderco patient the hole in the blade to open the knife.. Everyone who uses a hole in the blade has to pay them a royalty.. Just ask Benchmade Knife CO.

So Gobi may be able to patient a rectangle.

Mike
This little exchange got me interested in the point me discussed, so I headed over to the http://www.gobiracks.com.

Amazingly enough it looks as though they have done little to protect any sort of trademark or design of their own besides having their logo registered.

Gobi looks to make a fine product that many people would be happy with but I have to side with Detonate in that a metal framed square with a single raised end would be hard to argue as being intellectual property. I would like to think that the Gobi lawyers will one day see this thread and the only thing they will have to say is, "Sandra, be quiet."

My job: ]http://www.HardOCP.com[/quote]
Old 12-03-2003, 12:08 AM

FrgMstr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Centerfire:
I don't know about that in todays enviroment.. In the knife industry. Spyderco patient the hole in the blade to open the knife.. Everyone who uses a hole in the blade has to pay them a royalty.. Just ask Benchmade Knife CO.

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well actually what Spyderco patented most likely is what is classified as a utility patent. So they did not really patent the circle, but rather the use of their hole being positioned in the blade to make a folding knife that was "better/easier" to open.

Being that rectangles have been used for roof racks for quite some time, I don't see anyone getting a patent on such an idea. I am pretty sure I have seen some stage coaches on Bonanza with them... After an usage that would be covered by a utility patent is one the market unprotected for a full year, it is fair game for anyone to utilize for commercial sale.

I know that is probably more than anyone wanted to know, but I felt compelled to share.

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com
Old 12-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Nice job Detonate. Looks awesome.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:09 PM

I'm not opposed to winter diving, but I'm not Dry Suit Certified yet, and I can't afford one of those expense sons of guns. Matter of fact, I think I really want to go dive Alaska or something. I can't imagine how cool it would be to dive with some of the cold water Mammals up there.

I went diving a few weeks ago and froze my ass off wearing a 3mil Shorty underneath my 3mil full.

The guys from Tough Country know that people think their rack is too high. Besides me telling them that, several customers have mentioned it.

When they first designed the rack it was designed to go over the factory roof bars. The dip down in the front was meant to cover that gap and provide room for lights.

The problem with lowering the entire rack is that the dip in the front is already within an inch of the roof.

So in order to lower it they would have to remove the dip, well then there is no room for the lights so the only place to expand would be up.

And if you've read even a smidgen of this thread you'd know why they are hesitant to do that.

We will see. I bug them all the time to get that rack lowered, so maybe they will come up with something. Right now they don't have an H2 to design on, so I've offered to leave my H2 with them so they have one to work on.

2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Detonate,

Mabye you should look for some used Roof Bars.
Wouldn't your weight limit be lowered without them?

I imagine it's suppose to rest on the Roof Bars to dissapate heavy loads?

Still, Looks good.

NAWCE poser shot in front of the lake . Had it waxed huh?

My Video Collectionez

Old 12-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Wussy! I'll have to find my pics of jetskiing in a february snow storm a couple years ago. A stand-up jetski no less. 3mil full suit didn't help much....

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 12 months down, 6 to go!
-------------------------------------------------
Old 12-03-2003, 03:54 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DennisAJC:
Detonate,

Mabye you should look for some used Roof Bars.
Wouldn't your weight limit be lowered without them?

I imagine it's suppose to rest on the Roof Bars to dissapate heavy loads?

Still, Looks good.

NAWCE poser shot in front of the lake . Had it waxed huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was thinking about putting up 4 roof bars to fill some of that space, but really I don't care that much. I still like the look of it.

The rack actually doesn't tough the bars at all. If anything, they simply provide a spot to anchor tie downs. I had 500lbs up on that rack and it wasn't sinking at all.

And although that was certainly a poser shot by the river, the truck was hardly clean. I had put at least 800 miles on the truck since it's last wash and it was covered in dust on bug guts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Wussy! I'll have to find my pics of jetskiing in a february snow storm a couple years ago. A stand-up jetski no less. 3mil full suit didn't help much....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
God damn right! There is a reason I live in Texas. I friggin HATE the cold!

Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Thanks for the info on the rack, I've contacted TC and expressed my view on the height. Maybe if enough people show interest they will come up with something, maybe less rectangular <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, you asked, and they listened.

I sent them a link to this thread, and this has apparently reaffirmed the markets desire for a rack that sits closer to the roof.

They hope to have a prototype out by Januarish.

Basically they want the rack to barely clear the Sun Roof Visor.
So it will sit real low to the roof.

They will still keep with the sectional design.
The Rear Tire Carrier will stay there so that you have the option of putting your tire up top, or using the space for something else.
The sun roof insert will still be a feature so that again you are given the option to take out that piece and use the sunroof, or insert the piece and use the space for storage.
The front of the rack will now be an optional light bar.
So instead of having the standard dip or rise, it will just be an option. Maybe they dip and rise in the front... That would be cool.

Standard finish will be high gloss black, but they can custom powder coat the rack in any color you like, and a number of different textures.

They are also willing to do custom work. So if you don't like something, or want something done differently than standard, just let them know.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

I'm sure you may be correct.. I just arrest them.. don't make the rules... Just wanted say that in this crazy world of law suits and media.. any thing can happen... Don't thinit is right... just believe very possible.

Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Centerfire:

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well actually what Spyderco patented most likely is what is classified as a utility patent. So they did not really patent the circle, but rather the use of their hole being positioned in the blade to make a folding knife that was "better/easier" to open.

Being that rectangles have been used for roof racks for quite some time, I don't see anyone getting a patent on such an idea. I am pretty sure I have seen some stage coaches on Bonanza with them... After an usage that would be covered by a utility patent is one the market unprotected for a full year, it is fair game for anyone to utilize for commercial sale.

I know that is probably more than anyone wanted to know, but I felt compelled to share.

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a short one, why not get the Gobi Stealth like on Alec's truck.
Or buy the Gobi now with the shorties.
As a matter of fact, here is a link: http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=419602192 4

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2003, 03:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Great stuff Jim.

BTW What sort of ballpark $ are we talking about for their racks? For some obscure reason they keep this info secret on their site, which usually means expensive <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The rack I have is $2,000. Seems to be on par with others.

Not sure if the new rack will cost more or less...

Old 12-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

That thing is $2000?!!! What's the extra $1750 for? The beer they have to drink to help them forget they made that thing?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:10 PM

It's just personal preference in my opinion.

I think the Gobi "looks" more elegant design wise. But having seen both in person feel that the TC one is more functional.

It's just the little things. Like the tire carrier. Or the Sun Roof insert. Or the way that on the sun roof insert there is a bar that protects you from sliding anything up against the lights.

/shrug

You are right though. The pricing is similar enough not to sway one person from one rack to the other.