H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Elcova Rookie

UNOMYFLO1 is on a distinguished road
Default 06 Factory nav question

Hey all I have a question perhaps someone can help.

I have the opportunity to gat a steal of a deal on a factory 06 nav unit with the map disc and antenna. My question is if I have the base radio system NOT the monsoon, is it still plug and play after the BCM has been reprogrammed?

I know my single disc cd head unit has an amp inside, my question really is if I install the nav unit will it work amp wise? Does the factory nav have an amp inside or does it rely on an external amp like the monsoon 6 disc unit does. I know the monsoon system has an external amp to power the door speakers as well as the sub in the rear quarter. If it doesnt have an internal amp (the factory nav unit) what are my options for getting it to work? Would I need to get an external amp? What is involved with tieing it in?

Thanks for any help.

UNO
Old 09-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

subunix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 06 Factory nav question

You would need to pull out your head unit and see what connections you have, and compare it to the nav unit, i just know when an option isnt ordered from the factory you usaully dont have the required electrical connections. Im thinking if it doesnt work right away you might need a new xm module, possibly onstar module. Ive also been told its a lot easier to just do an aftermarket, but of course if you get deal of the century you can make it happen
Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Hummer Novice

CCMDoc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 06 Factory nav question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNOMYFLO1
Hey all I have a question perhaps someone can help.

I have the opportunity to gat a steal of a deal on a factory 06 nav unit with the map disc and antenna. My question is if I have the base radio system NOT the monsoon, is it still plug and play after the BCM has been reprogrammed?

I know my single disc cd head unit has an amp inside, my question really is if I install the nav unit will it work amp wise? Does the factory nav have an amp inside or does it rely on an external amp like the monsoon 6 disc unit does. I know the monsoon system has an external amp to power the door speakers as well as the sub in the rear quarter. If it doesnt have an internal amp (the factory nav unit) what are my options for getting it to work? Would I need to get an external amp? What is involved with tieing it in?

Thanks for any help.

UNO

Yes it will work, but the OnStar and Nav volume will be very low and the radio volume will never be as high as with your stock single disc head unit. The amp in the Nav unit is 8amps and that in the base radio is 64amps (or something close to those numbers). How do I know, I did exactly what you want to do. If you want to boost the volume to "normal", you will need a PAC aoem GM24 and any aftermarket amp. Before I installed them, I traded in my H3 for a new one so still have the parts NIB.

I picked up a PowerAcoustik PS4-240 4 channel amplifier. I got this one because of it's more than adequate power and small size - I wanted to either put it under a seat or under the carpet in the passenger footwell so that I didn't have to run long wires all over the place. Here is a link to a description:

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-...talogno=PS4240

I also got the PAC audio interface so that I could hook the nav radio to the amplifier without cutting up any wires - just plug and play.
Here is a link about the interface:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacaoemgm24.html

Good luck
'08 H3Alpha Off-Road-315/75-16Maxxis Bighorns, grill&marker lights,+1 light Bar OEM Nav w/backup cam