H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

Apparently I get to choose another H3 similar to mine or if I wanna upgrade I pay the difference between the two.

Hell- I feel like a kid in a candy store....can't wait to pick out my new H3!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Hummer Professional

CrisB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

You go Dani! Good job, good follow through...call me when you want to go wheelin'!!!!
2006 H3 Adventure, green in & out, Line-X, no bling. Onboard air, Rino GPS, BVG roof rack, roof-mounted lights, Warn xd9000i winch, RR rails, Hunner's skid plates, custom UCP, rear tire rack, roofcam.

1965 IH Scout 80, fully restored with winch, lockers, Dana 44's...holds it's own to an H3.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

Picked out my new H3 yesterday morning. Choose a black LUX pkg., sunroof, chrome appearance, xm radio, chrome side assist steps, towing package, chrome fuel door and I can't remember what else...
According to the dealership- the buyback should be complete by the end of next week.

I gotta say it was a tough decision. I really liked the midnight blue metallic but I love the black. I probably should've changed colors as I already have the black one but I couldn't resist...
Old 06-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Steve - SanJose

Dani - Nice, fresh start with a new 07 H3.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Dani....but wait, no Adventure package?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

no adventure package. I tried but the dealership didn't have any in stock already packaged with the LUX pkg. and I didn't wanna wait for one to come in from ordering. Normally I'd have waited but I honestly can't see my current H3 lasting much more than a week. It's running extremely rough again and there's a growling noise when you step on the gas....and that's just 2 of the issues it's currently having. I hope my next one isn't anything like my current one.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

Just another update-
just got off the phone with GM's re-purchase department. Seems I'm not going to be buying a new H3 afterall. I was told that GM had agreed to re-purhase my piece of **** as a straight buy back and GM says that they said that they told the dealership it would be a TRADE re-purchase. Now- I wouldn't have a problem with this as I've already picked out the new H3 that I wanted from the dealer. However I'm being told by the repurchase dept. that I only will receive in credit the amount that I still currently owe on my current H3. IE: If I owe $20k then I only get $20k towards a new H3. Bull**** if you ask me. I paid over $37k for my 3 and am getting no where remotely close to that figure. PLUS they expect me to pay them 10 cents per mile for 18k miles. My 3 currently has 32k miles on it. GM figures that it ran good for 18k miles so that's the mileage they're using to figure out how much I should pay them for "using" the vehicle.

How is this even considered fair? I've barely had the damn thing for a year. I expressed my concerns to GM and they said that if I want a straight re-purchase- they're gonna charge me 30 cents per mile for the full 32k miles that's on the vehicle. This is bull****
Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Hummer Authority

ChiHummer3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Just another update-
just got off the phone with GM's re-purchase department. Seems I'm not going to be buying a new H3 afterall. I was told that GM had agreed to re-purhase my piece of **** as a straight buy back and GM says that they said that they told the dealership it would be a TRADE re-purchase. Now- I wouldn't have a problem with this as I've already picked out the new H3 that I wanted from the dealer. However I'm being told by the repurchase dept. that I only will receive in credit the amount that I still currently owe on my current H3. IE: If I owe $20k then I only get $20k towards a new H3. Bull**** if you ask me. I paid over $37k for my 3 and am getting no where remotely close to that figure. PLUS they expect me to pay them 10 cents per mile for 18k miles. My 3 currently has 32k miles on it. GM figures that it ran good for 18k miles so that's the mileage they're using to figure out how much I should pay them for "using" the vehicle.

How is this even considered fair? I've barely had the damn thing for a year. I expressed my concerns to GM and they said that if I want a straight re-purchase- they're gonna charge me 30 cents per mile for the full 32k miles that's on the vehicle. This is bull****

Wow! That sucks! I'd biotch and whine to anyone at Hummer who will listen. Don't back down!!!
Good luck!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

GM doesn't seem to wanna budge on their end. I figure I'll just take them to court and see where it goes from there. In the meantime- I'm trying to pick out a different vehicle. I hate car shopping.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Steve - SanJose

wtf? This is terrible. And GM has a repurchase department? What difference should your loan balance make, other than to see that the lien is cleared to they can take ownership. What happens to the saps that don't have a loan balance, like me?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
wtf? This is terrible. And GM has a repurchase department? What difference should your loan balance make, other than to see that the lien is cleared to they can take ownership. What happens to the saps that don't have a loan balance, like me?

I think it's a load of crap. I'm very attached to my H3 and I want another one really bad but how is it fair that I trade in a fully loaded H3 for another fully loaded H3 and have to pay right around $10k to do it? It makes absolutely no sense. That means that I will have paid $10k on something that I don't even have. Not to mention the "usage" charge on the h3 I currently have. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. And just for clairification- I know I have it right because I asked the re-purchase rep assigned to my case about 50 times just to make sure I understood and he said you have it correct.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
Just another update-

Usually it is just a repurchase not provide you with a new vehicle. I thought the refund should be your purchase price minus $0.1 per mile until your first service visit (not sure if the service visit was for the main problem of just the first problem). You should also be paid for any non-reversible modification that you have receipts for. Also, any damage to the vehicle will come out of the refund.

There are lawyers that specialize in this and don't charge you (they charge the auto manufacturer). Maybe consult with one of the lawyers. Refunding just what you owe is wrong.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

The thing of it is- I don't want a refund. I just want a vehicle that's exactly like what I'm getting rid of. So to me- there shouldn't have to be any money changing hands. I also don't think it's fair that I should have to pay sales tax again. It's not my fault that GM can't seem to manufacturer a functional vehicle. Hell- if I didn't have so many problems with my H3 I wouldn't be in this situation. So for me to pay sales tax yet again is just bull****. According to the BBB site- GM is supposed to pay me the original purchase price, any finance charges/sales tax/modifications that I paid for to the vehicle, etc... GM says that's not the case. I think I should take them to court. At this point I don't care what the outcome is. I'd do it just to be a B$tch.

Sucks for GM though. My parents, my younger sister and my neighbor down the street were all going to purchase H3's within the next month. Now not a single one of them wants one because of the sh$t I've had to deal with. 2 out of the 3 have decided to go with foreign manufacturers and the 3rd has decided to take a Jeep instead. I'll also tell anyone who asks me about the H3 just what a pice of sh$t my H3 has been- and what a horrible company GM is. I swear they don't know the first thing about customer service.
I can't wait till I see my father in law. He was always giving me a hard time because all I've ever purchased has been foreign vehicles. My FIL has worked for GM for over 30 yrs and practically begged me to buy a GM. This is the last American made vehicle I will ever purchase.

I'll probably end up taking GM's trade re-purchase deal and immediately getting rid of it.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Steve - SanJose

H3 has attracted a lot of buyers that previously owned non-GM foreign and domestic brands, and that's a good thing. But loyalty to GM from this type of buyer is not guaranteed. And horror stories like this one don't help.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

So what is the story on the extended warranty? Engine only or is it for everything? Just curious as I think I might be seeing early signs of the head problem. I bought mine at Wright's in Wexford, PA. Anyone else dealt with them for this issue? Did you get the warranty? How long did the repair take? And what did they provide for a loaner?

Does anyone know if I can have it towed to the dealership that I purchased it at even though there is another dealership slightly closer?

Also, what is the quickest way to obtain the extended warranty - direct call to GM?

Last edited by H3.007 : 11-10-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Hummer Professional

2xtreme is off the scale

I had a problem with burning excessive oil over 2qts low in 1500mi. They started with changing the head as it was an early production model, to the newer redesigned head. That didn't fix the problem, they did about 4 more things to try and correct the problem and none of them worked finaly they gave me a new engine. Problem solved I have almost 21,000 mi on it.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Hummer Expert

So what is different about the replacement head or defective about the old one? I am not sure I have ever seen anyone discuss one or the other....

BTW - Diagnostics start Wednesday on mine but they are pretty sure it is the head problem.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Hummer Expert

Phew - ducked the head issue bullet. Turned out to be the number 5 ignition coil had gone bad. I was able to have a local GM dealer take care of the problem as well. They were pretty sure the head problem would have thrown an indiator light or an LCD code. No long drive to the dealer! Woohoo!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

AfroCreame is off the scale

LOL...been meaning to take my H3 in for awhile for various "repairs" so after the check engine light came on, and very rough idle and acceleration I took it in. Props to Ken Batchelor in San Antonio...no bs...here's the keys to a CTS loaner...sweet.

COuple of hours later...I get the call. They're going to replace the head assembly. In addition to that:

Head assembly (as stated)

Turn signal reflector fell off (Yellow cover) REplaced the other side already

Exhaust leak (At the catalytic converter)

Leaking drivers door

And if I have to replace another one of the dammed cheap plastic "chrome
package" door handle pieces I'am going postal!

Overall quality on this thing is pretty crappy in the past two years of owning it and will probably not by another. What sucks even more, we bought a 07 GMC acadia...at 170 miles the transmission went out. It was replaced. Popping sounds when you turn or break. Fixed, but steering was way out of alignment. Fixed. Makes a horrible noise when you turn the wheel. Seems that the last time it was brought it they didn't fill the power steering fluid to the correct specs. To each his own, but I'am done with GM.
2006 Hummer H3 Lux

Bye
2005 Hummer H2 SUT Lux W/Bling!
2004 Hummer H2 SUV Lux
Old 03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3MTA3 is on a distinguished road

Well it finally happened. I'm having to replace the head on my H3. I have 27,500 miles on her. I was noticing my 3 was idleing a little rough and the engine was shaking after popping the hood. The engine light came on and drove it over to the dealership. The manager said he was told in a meeting, with executives of GM on the Hummer line, that the heads were being damaged by gasoline. The material used to design the heads was too soft and the switch from winter grade to summer grade gas was destroying the heads. The manager said Hummer is rebuliding heads with a stronger material to hold up to the different types of gas. Not sure how true this is, but at the time it sounded good. Don't really care what the cause is, i just want them to fix my H3 and not have to worry about this in the future. Curious if anyone has heard anything like this from their dealership.
H3MTA3