H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Laura is off the scale

ok!!!!I know i like to push buttons in every aspect of my life but this bums me out...I just noticed that the paint on my stero buttons is wearing off and under the greyish black is WHITE. It looks like a stereo thats 10 years old. I channel surf like crazy because i like to cruiz to loud music. Whats my options? I hate the idea of the dealership pulling my dash apart to get a new one. I feel like my babys broken. oooohhhhhhhhhh god!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Laura is off the scale

ok!!!!I know i like to push buttons in every aspect of my life but this bums me out...I just noticed that the paint on my stero buttons is wearing off and under the greyish black is WHITE. It looks like a stereo thats 10 years old. I channel surf like crazy because i like to cruiz to loud music. Whats my options? I hate the idea of the dealership pulling my dash apart to get a new one. I feel like my babys broken. oooohhhhhhhhhh god!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
One Word...Warranty!

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All that is required is the center (brushed aluminum) trim plate be pulled off, a few screws removed, a few connectors disconnect to the radio, and bingo, the radio is out. It's under warranty...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tones H3 is off the scale

My radio is doing the exact same thing. The dealer just ordered me a new button. The one going on my radio was the display button. Anyways, It sorta pisses me off, I have had the vehicle for a little over 3000 miles and the damn radio buttons are allready looking like they would on a vehicle with over 50,000 miles on it. And you are right, at night it looks evern worse when the light shines through and it looks like a big bright white hole.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats crazy! ive had my h3 since june and havent noticed any problems but now i have to go look :P
Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Hummer Guru

Mine looks ok, but I have to ask, which radio? I have the Monsoon with the MP3 player.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tones H3 is off the scale

mine is the 6 disc monsoon with XM
Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Laura is off the scale

well im not sure what stereo it is...but anyway i need my first oil change so ill call them and see if they will order it so its ready the day i bring in the truck....im glad its not just me, anyway thats the only problem ive really had with the H3 and its a easy fix...thats cool
Old 10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

that's something that i'm really disappointed in about gm. it's wearing off on my silverado, including my steering wheel control buttons and it's an '04.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Laura is off the scale

well i talked to the dealership (kachina,az) and he made the suggestion that i must have long nails so i must have scratch the buttons so i was like "Dude" come on lets not be stupid! I might be a girl but lets not pass the buck here first of all i work in a hospital and my nails are no longer than most men... per Osha regulations and second of all im not the only one who has had this problem...than he told me that he would have to give GM some kinda of justafication on why this problem has happened and why it has to possible be replaced. What a *******! And I too have a 2004 chevy 4x4 with the stering wheel buttons and havnt had a problem with that one, maybe I just have been lucky and also my husband drives the truck. Im just a little bummed at the service guys reply..I just thought it was sorta messed up that he would redirect the blame on me, or suggest that its something my nails have done...how cheesssyyy
Old 10-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Laura is off the scale

do you happened to have that # handy....and whats up with the little quote?????Va.gov
Old 10-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

I have owned several GM vehicles (most recently 2002 Envoy and 2003 Sonoma) and all of them have had this problem. The dealer told me that normally they just replace the whole stereo. It seems like it would be less expensive to make the paint better on the radio then to keep replacing the stereos. I'm not too concerned though since I will eventually replace the stereo with a nice double-DIN model.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same problem with my radio buttons. I'm waiting on a call back from my dealership. They better not be jerks like your dealer seemed to be!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

YellowH3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Laura:
do you happened to have that # handy....and whats up with the little quote?????Va.gov </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is the number I called.
1-866-HUMMER6 (1-866-486-6376)

Little quote???????? not sure what you mean, but that's the number.
2006 H3 Adventure, Competition Yellow, Ebony int., Monsoon, XM, HID\'s, Custom Off-Road Grill Lights, Gravel filled floor mats, Mud packed undercarrige, Dust covered dash, Airbag light ON, DVD, 2 Flip Downs, Headrests, Rear Camera, Front Camera

Old 10-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Hummer Guru

Dealer should replace the radio for a few reasons:
One, customer satisfaction. The paint is wearing off, and this should not happen.
Two, GM tracks these replacements via the labor operation number. A high hit on that number goes to the engineers who investigate, and in this case they should contact the supplier and get them to fix the problem.
Three, if enough are replaced, the supplier will not appreciate this and get it fixed.
The radio costs, and the labor to switch out will be billed back to the supplier, and that makes them open their eyes and get it fixed.
Four, what part of "bumper-to-bumper" does the dealer not understand. It is a manufacturing defect, it is inside the bumpers, it is not being dragged behind the vehicle. A manufacturing defect between the bumpers, within the mileage stated, needs to be addressed by the dealer...PERIOD.
Dealer screws you around, nail 'em on the JD Powers survey if you get one. Report them to customer assistance, or my best approach yet; confront them in the sales area on a busy day.

I only have 3300 miles, but I checked again yesterday and there is no wear at all on mine, even the first three buttons on the channel selector (my main surfing buttons) or the display button (the other constantly used button). Might be the design of the radio since it is the MP3 and others might have the six-disc or base radio.
Not sure who manufacturers these radios. GM has used two major suppliers: Delphi and Panasonic.

The Hummer assistance center is the premium assistance center for GM, they handle Cadillac, GMC and Hummer; all other vehicles go through the assistance center in Tampa, FL. The premium assistance center is known to handle customer complaints a lot more efficiently than the other assistance center.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:35 AM

trebor is off the scale

2500 miles, Monsoon 6 disc and no problems. I don't ever channel surf and I don't think my wife does either when she drives it.
H3-Boulder Gray, Ebony Leather, Lux Pkg, Off Road Pkg, Auto, Power Sunroof, Chrome Pkg, XM, Brush Guard, Trailer Pkg, Rocker Panel Protection, Removable Assist Steps, Painted Hard Tire Cover, Chrome Fuel Door
Other 4x4s:
1997 Wrangler
2003 Expedit
Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

psywzrd is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
One Word...Warranty!

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All that is required is the center (brushed aluminum) trim plate be pulled off, a few screws removed, a few connectors disconnect to the radio, and bingo, the radio is out. It's under warranty... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't happen to have instructions on how to do this, do you?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

djaqualight is on a distinguished road
Default Re: radio/paint

Just noticed my track advance button is chipping off. I hardly ever use that button.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: radio/paint

Mine look okay.