H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I have noticed alot of Dynatech cat back systems on site. I have a chance to get a new cat sys. for $1400 installed. Is it a good system? This will be long stainless steel headers and high flow cats of course. Price does include labor. I have never looked into this stuff so it is all new to me. If I understand You get the most performance for the dollar with this MOD. Klaus, KenP or someone get in here and teach me somethng but do not let me make a mistake.
Thanks
Rick
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Hummer Authority

I have noticed alot of Dynatech cat back systems on site. I have a chance to get a new cat sys. for $1400 installed. Is it a good system? This will be long stainless steel headers and high flow cats of course. Price does include labor. I have never looked into this stuff so it is all new to me. If I understand You get the most performance for the dollar with this MOD. Klaus, KenP or someone get in here and teach me somethng but do not let me make a mistake.
Thanks
Rick
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Hummer Authority

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Hope this cut and paste comes out---good discussion on short vrs long headers.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=682602097 3&r=6826020973#6826020973
Old 12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Also, if you go to Find and type in headers, you will get more info than you want to read.

Long headers are better for low end torque, shorties for high end power (in general). For an non-racing H2, either will make the diff you are probably looking for.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Hummer Authority

H2mildandwild this is great info. It confirmed what I have been reading and being told. I'm going with long headers for the low end and this confirms it. Also I'm going with duel 2.5" flowmasters 40 series and the new dynatech catilytic converters and will have the x pipe with stainless headers etc.

Is $1400 installed a good price for this dynatech stainless system. The guys doing it are perfectionists. They have regular jobs mechanics but headers systems is all they do in thier shop in the evening. They come highly recommended from the past people I have mentioned in other threads. They even custom build headers if need be for race applications etc. The price sounded great installed but I know some here have spent this money and was hoping I got lucky with a good price, I was hoping someone would tell me tonight if price is good. I'll do some searches but I have to order and get in line 12/15/04 tomorrow to have mine installed and back by 12/22/04 in time for Christmas.
thanks for info. someone give me a yell on price?
Rick
Old 12-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

This link will show you that the headers are about $975 and the cats about $300. They certainly deserve the discount that they get as a dealer. That leaves $125 for install plus their dealer discount on the headers and cats.

I would say you are getting a good, fair price. You are not being taken for a ride at all. I cannot speak about the quality of Dynatech though--no time to research that for you tonight.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...mer_truck.html
Old 12-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks H2mildandwild for your help. I have not ever heard anything bad about Dynatech. I'm glad to see I'm being treated fairly on price which is what the guy who sent Me to this shop told them to do.
Thanks
Rick
Old 12-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Let me know how you like it once it is installed.

I would love a pic of the long tube headers installed when you get a chance.

Thanks-
Old 12-17-2004, 12:55 AM

Rx450sc is off the scale

I hate my dynatech headers. There is a problem with the routing of the 2 rear spark plug wires on the driver side. Even with the longer wires they are now including in kit. They do burn on the header tubes. Their high flow cats are not the best quality. I have had to replace them already. Since day one I have had problems with leakage at the collector flanges. I am waiting for Kooks to come out with their long tube setups to replace the dynatechs.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:12 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Good high flow cats are important if you have headers and a supercharger. You can measure a cats flow by taking a temp reading before and after the cat--if the delta T is high, something is clogging the cat.

I have heard that the H2 stock cats have had some problems. My race exhaust guy (not just a metal bender) showed me where one of my stock cats was already breaking down after they were replaced. Do I have any data on this breakdown rate--NO-I am not trying to scare anyone.

If you do push a lot of air, do have your cats checked now and then--it will prevent excessive heat upstream and save some valves or a head gasket.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Hummer Authority

H2mildandwild
We are putting on the complete system including the high flow converters. These guys are like what You use Pro's. They are a performance company. You get to them by word of mouth only, Dean the programmer guy refered me. They do no advertising i found out. You have to be refered to them which shocked me as I'm thinking good muffler shop. I had to set my appoinment up a week ago today for Saturday install. We go to work on the sys. tomorrow at 9am. It is looking good that I many be getting my magnson SC soon from these guys. My dealer said if I was going to let to INC Performance do the install they would never conside the SC as causing problems. Dealer head Ser. guy said man it will only be 6 to 7 pounds of boost and that would not hurt a go cart. I do have to however call the extended warranty guy as Ser. manager said if I bought platinum plan (which i did) Extended warranty will cover SC when it takes over from factory waranty. I'm thinking this is to good to be true so I dug out my extended warranty and it says under engine parts covered:" Turbocharged/Superchaged/Rotary desiel/Enhanced Engine All the above are covered under the platinum coverage which is what I bought. Also it says all above listed parts or equivalent plus: turbocharger, waste gate controller, intercooler, hard lines, compressor, clutch and pulley, bypass valve, injection pump, lines, seals and gaskets. My heart is about to jump out of my chest waiting on call from extend warranty to make sure I'm understanding this right. Head Ser. guy has seen it and said do not sweat it order SC but, I'm a little worried so i want to hear it from ex. warranty and have a letter confirming what I understand.
I hope this is all true cause it will get ordered today to be put in right after Chritmas. The INC guys are taking off but will be back day after Christmas and will jump onto it they said.
Rick

What should be a good price installed for polished and for silver coated model. Someone please let me know right away before I order SC today.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Slow down------take a few days/weeks to check out this warranty. If it is so that this stuff is covered, it will be a first!

I hope it does cover the SC. I am not trying to be a nea sayer here. You need to get the warranty and then get it in writing that YOUR install is covered. Gm has trucks/cars with those components and it may be a generic warranty that covers those parts IF they are factory installed---factory installed, not dealer installed.

I sell Magnuson's, Banks, Vortech, etc. We do our own installs. I tell everyone that their engine/drivetrain warranty is toast.

When you buy a Mag, you can get a $3000.00 engine and $2000.00 drivetrain warranty on it. The guy who writes the warranty has a big boat and lots of nice cars. They never pay ****. Because, if you add on any aftermarket part other than the SC to enhance performane---for example, headers and exhaust---it causes doubt as to cause of the engine failure--was it the SC or the headers???---you get my point.

I tell everyone to save their $200.00. It is a waste of money. Instead, get a good SC and have it installed professionally. It will not fail unless you beat the **** out it or run it outside of its boost/exhaust temp bands. The Mag will not let you down--Ken P had a problem but that was with the SC, which has its own three year warranty from Mag.

Now---the Moss-Mag act was written to protect owners in an important way. A dealer cannot deny warranty coverage for a light bulb or a leaky window because you have a SC installed. However it does not cover parts that may be affected by the installation of an aftermarket part. Lets say your cats fail----the dealer/GM could easily deny coverage if a SC was installed.

Many people want it both ways--I am not implying that you do. Many on here want to install a SC, a lift, exhaust, big tires, etc. and expect GM to cover their H2 if something fails as a result. This thinking is off base. GM is not being cheap---they are being smart and businesslike.

I have an H2 with a SC, lifted, exhaust, etc..ect...etc........and I beat it at the drag strip. I have a great time at the track. Should I ask GM to cover the resultant damage to my engine and drivetrain??????? NO--I do not even think about it. If I blow a head gasket or eat up a set of valves or wreck my transmission--it is my BAD as the street kid would say. On the other hand, if my seat does not work, I expect GM to make good on that seat.

For a non polished Mag, $6000K is a good price. $6700 for polished. Get a boost gauge and an exhaust temp gauge installed--period---that will run you extra.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Thanks H2mildandwild
I will take it slow and get it in writing if it is true.
I feel the same way You do if I'm abusing it My problem. Head ser. man was explaining to me that they know SC will not (used within prescribed limits) actually help engine work less and they will take care of Me. I have a message into the extended warranty president (given to me by head service manager) which I found is owned by the company that owns my dealer and 100's more. Our dealer name has been here forever but I guess like everything else the big fish eat the smaller. Anyway He said this guy is friendly to the idea of the SC for H2's We just have not had anyone that wanted to shell out the money or push the issue the way I am intending to do, so it has only been under discussion. Now that we have someone serious we will go to work to look at a program. So i can only hope. I of course will be out in the cold if I'm on a trip somewhere but i told ser. man. I'll hire someone to haul it back to him. I have had cars hauled from east coast to AR. for $800 but that would be cheaper than not letting you take care of problem under warranty. I would have to just look at it as part of cost of warranty is to get it back home. It will be after the 1st of the year I figure as Holiday's are going to slow done progress. I did get headers and high flow converters, true duel's etc. on today installed by Proffesional at TNC Performance. I do believe in letting pro's do thier work. It sounds so good and just at idle You can feel the differenc. They have a dino and said they will put it on next week so if we get the SC we can compare. I am parking it till Monday as all Oxygen sensors came out fine except front pass. it gaulded the threads when it came out. We plugged it so I could go home. Missed getting the last one the H2 dealer had on Sat by 1 hour. It was sold. We will have 1 from a Chevy place that these guys are friend with and they have one but everyone was long gone and I told him no problem we wait get it Monday. We called everywhere but I found out from head parts man at my dealer that this sensor fit H2 or 8.0L only. He said ton and half truck or larger or H2. Wierd? We were asking him to cross check to see if any other trucks used same one and he found out nothing
1 ton or smaller used the same sensor. what is wierd the check engine light did not come on and I hooked My Fast Flash prog. to it and it showed no codes. It was just out of curiousity. What do You make of that??? Jeff the installer said I could probably drive it around but he would rather I did not just to be safe. I have plenty of things to drive so I just went home in it and put it in garage. He offered a late model camaro with nitrous etc. to drive and leave H2 there if I was worried. I was not worried but I was more worried about letting me get behind the wheel of that car. My daughters would have been bailing me out somewhere. I could tell no difference in performance as far as missing or sputuring etc. I had programer set for performance setting so if it was making it run rich it probably did not notice since I had computer set that way anyhow?? I have Taylor plug wires coming in tuesday and 160 t-stat and going to bypass throttle body coolant. The installers took pictures of headers and are going to email them to me. I'll get some to you when I get them. They were amased at how sharp the stainless looked. Magnuson is the way I'm going and these guys are like you they sell several brands but he said I really should go with it. I will remind that I want boost and temp gages.
Oh by the way this guy said same thing you did about the stock converters breaking down. He said not just H2's but other that try going to headers etc., so there must be something to it.
Thanks
Rick