H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Default '08 locking gas cap?

I've been trying to find a locking gas cap for an '08 H2. No one seems to have one that fits. I didn't really want to buy the whole locking fuel door again. I had the locking fuel door on the H3 just as a precaution. Has anyone had any luck with locking gas caps? Do you think it's even necessary? Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

Takecover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '08 locking gas cap?

For some reason, GM changed the fuel necks of the tanks from 07 up. I have not been able to find a locking cap either. I have the locking door on my truck just for a piece of mind. I am pretty certain there are tank baffles to prevent siphoning fuel out with a hose. On another note, I would like to have one for all those tree hugger Hummer haters around, I would not leave it unprotected!

2000 Corvette coupe, 6 speed, Ram-Air, underdrive pulleys, Nitto Extreme Radials.

1990 Saleen Hatchback #219 Vortech supercharged
Old 03-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecover
For some reason, GM changed the fuel necks of the tanks from 07 up. I have not been able to find a locking cap either. I have the locking door on my truck just for a piece of mind. I am pretty certain there are tank baffles to prevent siphoning fuel out with a hose. On another note, I would like to have one for all those tree hugger Hummer haters around, I would not leave it unprotected!

No wonder I can't find a locking cap. I checked with the dealer and they said there's not much of a problem with people messing with the fuel tank. More of a problem in S. California are carjacked Escalades and H2's with Mexico so near.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm2
No wonder I can't find a locking cap. I checked with the dealer and they said there's not much of a problem with people messing with the fuel tank. More of a problem in S. California are carjacked Escalades and H2's with Mexico so near.

Thats the dumbest excuse for not making a locking cap that I've ever heard.

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

WikidPete is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm2
I've been trying to find a locking gas cap for an '08 H2. No one seems to have one that fits. I didn't really want to buy the whole locking fuel door again. I had the locking fuel door on the H3 just as a precaution. Has anyone had any luck with locking gas caps? Do you think it's even necessary? Thanks for any advice!

The first thing I changed was the gas cap when I bought my 08. I picked it up at pep boys here in bay area, ca. Its made by Stant, cant recall the part # but its identical fit, when you plan to change it out make sure you dont cut the plastic tether, wedge out the plastic ring that fits on the outside of the cap, this fits perfect on the new Stant cap.

Hope this helps..
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

Takecover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikidPete
The first thing I changed was the gas cap when I bought my 08. I picked it up at pep boys here in bay area, ca. Its made by Stant, cant recall the part # but its identical fit, when you plan to change it out make sure you dont cut the plastic tether, wedge out the plastic ring that fits on the outside of the cap, this fits perfect on the new Stant cap.

Hope this helps..

That's good to know, funny I called the dealership, and they still say there is no such thing!

2000 Corvette coupe, 6 speed, Ram-Air, underdrive pulleys, Nitto Extreme Radials.

1990 Saleen Hatchback #219 Vortech supercharged

Last edited by Takecover : 03-26-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WikidPete

Hope this helps..

Thanks! I'll call PepBoys in the a.m. AGAIN! I called them when I had first posted my question and they said they didn't have one for the '08. Better idea, I'll just drive out and talk to someone there. I'm glad you mentioned the plastic tether! I didn't know you could wedge it out. Thanks for your info.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

phazer42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecover
That's good to know, funny I called the dealership, and they still say there is no such thing!

The dealership will tell you that as there was never a locking cap released for the H2. The H3 has one as an export option only but not for the domestics. I am not overly familiar with the H2 fuel cap, but the standt cap, as long as it is the same thread should work just fine for your application. Standt makes a decent cap. And FWIW if you change it and start to see a check engine light, your first place to look would be the filler cap....
Old 03-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

bmbenear is on a distinguished road

I was bidding on a locking fuel cap for my h2 on ebay, supposed to fit ALL years. From these posts it looks like the 2007 and 2008 might be left out. Should I be weary of purchasing this cap that supposedly fits all years?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbenear
I was bidding on a locking fuel cap for my h2 on ebay, supposed to fit ALL years. From these posts it looks like the 2007 and 2008 might be left out. Should I be weary of purchasing this cap that supposedly fits all years?

Well, WikidPete said he had very good luck and a perfect fit with the Standt fuel cover from PepBoys. I didn't get to go over there yet. When I sopke to the parts mgr at my local Hummer dealer, he said a locking cap wasn't made for the '08. He said he has seen a couple of H2's come in with non-GM caps that didn't fit. He said they could be jimmied off quite easily by someone wanting to do damage. Do you have a PepBoys in your area? I'll try to check mine out tomorrow and keep WikidPete's positive experience in mind.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbenear
no... not at all... your only issue that you might have would be the check engine light may come on if there is an issue surrounding the ability of that cap to seal.... so don't throw your old cap away for a few months anyhow.... (wait till the warm seasons first)
Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

LV_H2 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the '08, but I use a locking gas cap for my 2007 H2. The cap states that it is made for an H2 thru 2006 model year, but it fits the 2007 perfectly. I have been using it for a year, through the hot Las Vegas summer.

I found it at Checkers / partsamerica.com

It is listed as the Stant 11511

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtNumber=11511

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
2004 Victory Red LE H2 - Traded
Old 03-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

CG07SUT is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if there may be an issue with the early build date 07's vs later build dates. My 07 has a drastically different thread pitch on my factory cap than those for early model H2's. There is no way that a cap for an 06 will fit my filler neck. I checked into this after having the truck for one week and someone had already stolen my license plates. Have not had any further vandalism issues, so I quit looking for the new cap.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

LV_H2 is on a distinguished road

Could be. My 2007 is mid-year limited edition.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
2004 Victory Red LE H2 - Traded
Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

finall is on a distinguished road

WRONG!! GM has released a locking gas cap for the H2. Why would they not. Really?.......I have one. Part #10326376. I am sure they have one for the 08, if not the same part #.

The thread pitch on the 06 non-LE SUV and 07 LE SUV locking gas caps must be identical. Same one fits both our 06 and now 07.

Get the OEM locking gas cap from the dealer, and quit messing around with aftermarket gas caps. None are as good as what you get from the dealer. If your aftermarket fails or is the wrong one, any damage to gas tank (like imploding due to vacuum) is not covered. It happens often.

The OEM one costs as much as a drive around the block in your H2, so why not get that one?

Last edited by finall : 04-02-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

Finall,

As you proved in your query into the part number for the cigarette lighter plug, not all dealerships are intelligent enough to be able to find the correct part number. Thanks for posting what has worked for you. Upon inspection of an 06 factory gas cap versus my 07, the thread pitch is quite different. I may try the 06 number the next time I am near the dealer, let them try to install so if they strip the filler neck, they can pay to replace. The trip back to my dealer is around the block, only 300 miles each way.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

WikidPete is off the scale

Finally got a chance to take some pictures of the Gas Cap Original 08 Hummer and Locking Stant Cap. The one on the tether is the Stant cap. I've had mine for 7 months so far and see no issues. The Stant Part # LVH2 Posted "Stant 11511" sounds about right. Hope this helps...

Last edited by WikidPete : 04-02-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the photos. My factory cap looks the same as the photos, but every aftermarket cap I had found was threaded. Anyhow, it looks like I will have to make a trip to the dealership anyway...my door bucket is cracked from the key hole to the edge. In addition, my factory chrome gas cap was bubbling/pitting and I was waiting on service or something more significant before making the trek. I will have to look into the factory locking cap when I am there.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finall
... If your aftermarket fails or is the wrong one, any damage to gas tank (like imploding due to vacuum) is not covered. It happens often ...