H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-05-2002, 05:58 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

yep...this topic gets me as fired up as the whole church vs. Harry Potter....!!!

ooh...Harry is the anti-christ? Puhhhleaz....

~the aimster
Old 12-05-2002, 06:11 PM

MBK is off the scale

Yeah HummerGirl!

Hey, if Harry had an H2 instead of that whimpy euro go-kart that Whomping Willow never would have stood a chance!
Old 12-05-2002, 06:18 PM

TS is off the scale

Shea LOL. If I get a Jesus-freak or an enviro-freak near my H2.. I'll offer them a ride, they'll want one after that. The darkside is so much more fun!! And, everyone, please, no talking about Harry Potter till after Friday, I havent seen it yet.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:21 PM

It's not 2%!!! It's 0.2% (zero point two percent) of their /grants & contributions/ that is government funded, and their grants and contributions are only 30% of their overall funding.

NPR funding: $143,000,000.00

From governmnet: $105,000.00

Anyway, NPR is great and wonderful, and so are Hummers.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:30 PM

That little enchanted car just cracked me up!

SMA needs to come out with an "invisibility cover"!!!

hehehehe...

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-05-2002, 06:42 PM

Ooops TS...mum's the word...

but I will tell you that it's VERY long and VERY Good!!!

Post to us after you have seen it.
Do you read the books?
I do and they are maaaahhhhvelous....

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, at least I know folks are reading my posts!

I never said that NPR was wholly taxpayer funded. And I know that it is only 2% of their budget. But I wouldn't care if it was .05% of their budget. What difference does it make? There is still $2M of taxpayer money going to NPR. I don't care if you call it an appropriation, or a grant, or whatever - It's taxpayer money given to them.

Figuring the money based on the entire population above 16 is a little flawed, don't you think? How many people in this country actually pay more tax then they get back in freebies, credits, grants, programs, etc. Someone has to make up the difference.

Look at it this way. If 2% is such a small amount of NPR's budget, why don't they just give it back to the Government, and no longer accept public money?

Anyway, I don't like my money being used to help attack me or my property by stirring up nuts. And I don't think there are many others on this list that do either.

Your money is power. Be careful who you let wield that power.

Klaus
Old 12-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

From their web site:

The only direct government funding NPR receives is through competitive grants from government agencies for specific projects. Such grants are awarded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Science Foundation, and the National Endowments for the Arts and the Humanities, and typically represent only 2% of total revenues
Old 12-05-2002, 07:53 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

I didn't think any one even listened to that station.I thought N.P.R. stood for Normal People Refrain (from listening).And by the way which of you has never said "Get that piece of crap yugo out from in front of me" Thats got to hurt someones feelings. WHO CARES
Old 12-05-2002, 07:59 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Back to the subject at hand. I think we all have to get used to being in the sights & scope of environmental organizations. I myself won't deny their point, the H2 is large, heavy and not a terribly efficient vehicle...but let's look at the bigger picture here.

The H2 makes up an absolutely tiny almost non-existant fraction of the excessive energy consuming problem! Wanna take a guess at the type of fuel consumption huge freightliners get, or even the Cruiselinersave s? If we stopped the ridiculous and outrageous onslaught of products imported from China, the lack of oil burnt in those ships alone would thousands upon thousands of times be greater then the fuel we burn because we're a few mpg below standard. Let's not even mention all the jobs we'd keep here.

Here's one for ya: those environmentalist live in homes, the foundation of these homes cover ground. Let's get creative with numbers, but keeping it real, a 1,400 sq/ft home is not only typical, but it actually covers 201,600 square inches of ground that could otherwise support trees, grow food or even host millions of organisms. I say we burn their land-smothering homes to the ground to free mother-earth from their opporessive selfish needs! And oh my gosh...are those homes made from wood? when you buy a home made of wood, you support the murdering of trees!!!

My being an insulation contractor, I've saved millions of kilowatt hours of electricity and millions of cubic feet of gas for society. I've done my part to save more energy then all our H2's will burn in fuel beyond a super-mpg vehicle.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:07 PM

MBK is off the scale

I don't mean to sound like a dork, but if NPR no longer took public money at all, wouldn't it then not really be National Public Radio?

Of course estimating taxes based on the "working" population is going to be off. There really isn't an accurate way to calculate this. But let's pretend that only millionaires actually pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits from the government. There are 4 million millionaires in the US. That would mean it only costs these imaginary cash-providing citizens about $.75 a year to help provide public radio to an entire nation.

But remember, according to Benjamin Disraeli there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

But rather than all of us sitting around here complaining we could be starting a radio program about wheeling. Maybe we could even get it on NPR....
Old 12-05-2002, 08:21 PM

m998 is off the scale

Fortunately, out here in the LA area the gang bangers shoot anyone spray painting in there territory.
Unfortunately, I do believe, no matter how flawed, in democracy. Who was it that said "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Oh yea, Voltaire
HEY …. The f#@%n guys a f#@$%n frecnchy…….forget whatever it was I just said!!!!
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2002, 08:23 PM

SONA is off the scale

NPR and Marketplace are not the same, although both on Public Broadcasting Radio. They are not the same program and are only related by the fact that they are both on a public broadcast network, do the research and you will not find any links to Marketplace on the NPR webpage. Let me clarify my position and then I will tie my self the to the Public Whipping Post of this Forum and take my medicine. Here we go..... Sometimes your the windowshield and sometimes you're the bug.... you can stand by and let the waccos make a case and then - stand by quietly, orrrrr.... you can stand up and make a COUNTER CASE, be counted and exercise your First Amendment rights. After 20+ years as an Active Duty Army Officer I have seen first hand what it means to die for your (all Americans) right to make your case, even if I do not agreee (aka Clinton + Chinese Government = sellout).... I fully support that, yep. Don't care if you are Black, White, Hispanic, Islamic, Jew, Christian, Gay or Straight, Hummer or Yugo.... Don't care, don't want to know.... If you are an American, I have been a part of all that we stand for as a nation. Soooooo, what does this patriotic rant have to do with the Marketplace report, not very much I guess. Just that I am willing to stand up and be counted, exercise my right to make my case, and wanted to provide anyone else who shared my outrage an opportunity to do the same. If you are not interested because: "who cares" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img](apathy) or "whatever" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img](my 16 yr old daughter), or "they have a right to say what they want" (thanks for making my case), then so be it, "don't get your panties in a wad" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] (my wife). But in the mean time, for my 18 comrades killed in Somolia, and countless others [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]..... Normandy, Bunker Hill, bla, bla, bla... not that anyone really cares, Just thought I would take advantage of "MY" Free Speech rights and see if anyone was interested. Not intended to create in-fighting over NPR, or Free Speech, or Waccos, or Gun Nuts (Me) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img].... "come on in son let me show you my gun collection" (Me on the eve of my daughters first date)...... "Can't we all just get along". This is better fun then watching my kids at home.... Thanks you'all.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 12-05-2002, 09:27 PM

The news reported today that you guys are really having a tough time with the gang violence. Is it really that bad or is it just the sensationalism of the media??

I did date a guy from LA whose mom made them move out east so that they could get away from the gang violence. This was in the early 90's and he said it was bad.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-05-2002, 10:04 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

And I listen to NPR all the time, because they do more in depth reporting and in general are much less partisan than other media outlets. I actually laughed a lot at the comedy piece, and didn't think it was much of a knock.

But I WAS concerned about the vandalism -that I agree is the kind of psuedo-environmentalism that is completely misguided, and done by people who aren't the enviro-saints they pretend to be. Just like the anti-Hummer 'Christians' who, I assume, are all going to drive donkeys now. . .

I do care about the environment, and I do alot to try and save it. So I understand why people care -if there was a hybrid Hummer, I'd own be the first in line. But it's not the only evil around, and for what it can do, it gets damn good mileage if you ask me!

I'm just surprised that no politically correct holier-than-though type isn't upset that you can actually use the term 'Hummer' as something vilgar! Goodness! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"
Old 12-05-2002, 10:38 PM

SONA is off the scale

Frank Zappa.... Know the words... Hey I have been an NPR junky since 1982.... and yes even sent them money, does not change my last and core premise.... just another voice from the trees... Did I tell you I love my GUNS>>>>>> [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

"Let me show you my gun collection"
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 12-05-2002, 10:56 PM

TS is off the scale

I love telling people I got a Hummer, joined the Hummer Club.. unfortunately most people assume I am talking about my truck.. what happened to good ol' fashioned vulgarity?
Old 12-05-2002, 11:02 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

My husband cracks jokes about me being the VP of the Bay Area Hummer club all the time. I tell him, HE comes off well there, not me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2002, 11:36 PM

SONA is off the scale

now if that is not a mutual exchange of Hummers then you need some outside help.... I could be there in a few days...

"Let me show you my gun collection"
Old 12-05-2002, 11:59 PM

HA HA!!!

you guys are cracking me up....

~amy
Move it or Lose it...