H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

boomer is an unknown quantity at this point

just came back from local electronics store,the tec said he didnt think the back bumper was flat enough at height where sensers have to sit to work propperly.he said he could mount them on a bracket that would hang down under bumper.we both said that wouldnt be a good idea. short of puting in a camera and moniter i told the tec that i would post the question to you all and see what i could find. he also said he was worried about drilling though bumper because of double wall steel. would apreciate any input
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

boomer is an unknown quantity at this point

just came back from local electronics store,the tec said he didnt think the back bumper was flat enough at height where sensers have to sit to work propperly.he said he could mount them on a bracket that would hang down under bumper.we both said that wouldnt be a good idea. short of puting in a camera and moniter i told the tec that i would post the question to you all and see what i could find. he also said he was worried about drilling though bumper because of double wall steel. would apreciate any input
Old 01-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

BradO is off the scale

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produ...ctId=14768&langId=-1

I am waiting on this to be released by Audiovox. Wireless removable back up sensor system that attaches to the trailer hitch.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Steve - SanJose

Hmmmm, sounds kind of useful and easy to install.

Instead of HITCHCAM, it would be a HITCHSENSOR.

S.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

I will clear this up DO NOT drill 4 holes into your rear bumper it will not work. Before I put my NAV. and backup camera in my local installer convinced me that the 4 sensors would work [ it didn't ]. I now have 4 holles in my rear bumper. Let me ask a question my local installer is going to replace ny rear bumper but he keeps telling that it is not available for purchase yet is this true? By the way I did check with the local Hummer dealer and they are installing the 2 sensors in the rear bumper and they are working fine. It just dosen't have the range of the 4 sensors.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale

I've heard that any road grime (dirt, mud, sand, etc.) that accumulates on the sensors reduces, an sometimes eliminates, the unit's ability to function properly. Same reason as hitch cams can get funky like your looking through a black hole. Back-up cameras are better mounted inside of vehicle near the top of the rear door. Your windshield wiper will keep your vision clear in that case!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

Fishman, you are correct when my camera gets wet it looks like you are looking through a black hole. The 4 sensors didn't work right out of the box. The installer made many attempts to correct the problem he even tried putting spacers in to level the senors no good. He was nice enough to leave the senors in place so I don't have to ride around with holes in my bumper. [why not I paid for them ] When he gets me a new bumper he will refund me my $270.00 for the senors.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Steve - SanJose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FishnMan:
I've heard that any road grime (dirt, mud, sand, etc.) that accumulates on the sensors reduces, an sometimes eliminates, the unit's ability to function properly. Same reason as hitch cams can get funky like your looking through a black hole. Back-up cameras are better mounted inside of vehicle near the top of the rear door. Your windshield wiper will keep your vision clear in that case! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, hitchcam view gets funky when camera lens is wet. But still works well enough to avoid running into cars even when wet. I've been using a hitchcam for almost 2 months now including on several rainy days.

s.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Elcova Rookie

TomD is off the scale

You would think that they would make them water proof.

Anyone install one that they favor yet?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Steve - SanJose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 5th horizon:
You would think that they would make them water proof.

Anyone install one that they favor yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hitchcam is waterproof, but drops of water will still get on the lens.