H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road
Default Synthetic Oil?

New H3 owner here. This forum is great. I'm looking forward to getting to know my new friends.

A couple of my buddies have suggested switching to synthetic engine oil. I've heard all of the advertising hype, but I'm curious if it is truly worthwhile? What are the specific advantages, if any? Also, if synthetic oil is so superior, why doesn't the manufacturer specify it? I sure would appreciate some expert opinions, especially from the Hummer techs.

I certainly don't mind spending money on something worthwhile, but one of my buddies that suggested the synthetic oil is a guy who spends hundreds of dollars on vitamins, only to flush them down the toilet in his very colorful urine.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2ummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Synthetic Oil?

I use Mobile 1. It does in fact come from the factory in some cars, like the Vette. I changed the factory oil in the H3 to Mobile 1 at 500 miles, since I am going to follow the recommended change interval. One thing that is often overlooked is not all oil filters are rated beyond 3000 miles which has be the standard interval. Use either the factory filter or an aftermarket filter that has been rated for extended intervals.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Maui Nick is on a distinguished road

Synthetic oil=cooler engine, better mileage, longer engine life.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2ummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and don't forget to reset the Oil Percentage on the DIC.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

GM's testing on this engine does not require the use of synthetic oil. It won't hurt, but not necessary. As far as temp decreases, it is minimal, and remember, for efficiency, the engine must be running at a certain temp. The true advantage of syn oil is in extreme hot conditions (resistance to breakdown) and extreme cold conditions (flows at extreme cold temps).
If you want to find out how well non-syn oil is doing, send a sample for an oil analysis and see how the TBN is, to check the true oil life remaining.
For some people, using syn oil is similar to burning premium fuel.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Plain and simple, it won't hurt but you are the only one who can justify the cost. It is not a need.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
Plain and simple, it won't hurt but you are the only one who can justify the cost. It is not a need.

Exactly....
Old 09-05-2006, 07:19 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

I just put syn in my H2 at about 60K, and I think the engine runs much more smoothly. Just my opinion however.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys...exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

I switched to Mobil 1 EP at 3000. Haven't noticed any change in the engine or milage. But I do run offroad in 100+ deg temp in Utah.
I like the idea of not having to change the oil every other month.
Mobil 1 EP advertises it's good for 15000 miles or one year. I'll change it at 10k because of offoading. Maybe less depending on what the oil looks like.
You can probubly put it in and follow the computers recomended change without any problems. As one mechanic told me. The computers set to calculate for a moderate climate, no off road use, and normal driving.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Mechanic is incorrect.....Computer is not set to a moderate climate and is not set to any type of specific conditions.

The algorithms used by each PCM is different for each engine and vehicle application, since engines are different and even the same engine in a different vehicle will have different demands. Primarily, the computer looks at the engine oil temp upon startup, compares this to the air temp sensor for ambient temp, then looks at how long the engine stays at a specific temp while operating. It also monitors engine RPM and a few other inputs, then constantly compares this information to the internal algorithms for the oil life monitoring system.
Running cross country non-stop on a nice summer day will allow for long change intervals; short trips in the middle of the winter will cause short change intervals, since cold temps and engines that do not get to operate for a period of time hot, will damage oil. Extreme hot condition such as engine overheating will also cause a shorter engine oil change interval. In addition, the running time of an engine at a normal operating condition over a period of time burns off any moisture inside the engine.

The oil life monitoring system cannot determine the type of oil you are using; however, the algorithms are set for a specific type of oil, in the case of the H3, it is set for oil that meets GM spec GM6094M. Using an oil of a lesser spec will not give accurate results, thus you could damage the engine. Using a more stringent oil life spec such as that for synthetic oil GM4718M, will also cause the oil life indicator to be inaccurate; however, since this type of oil is better, will last longer, and is not as affected by heat/cold, no engine damage will result. (The spec of the oil allows the programmers to know the oil life under all types of operating conditions; thus, the engine oil life monitoring system can accurately determine when this oil will fail inside your engine, based on your engine's driving conditions.)

In addition, the oil life system cannot determine dirt in the engine. The algorithms are made up for a closed intake system, with a factory spec paper air filter. If you are using a type of oiled foam air filter, or have a leak in the intake system that could draw in more dirt, the oil life system will not be accurate. Oiled foam filters are noted to not filter the dirt as well as a standard reliable paper filter.

Also, the oil life monitoring system does not care if you are off-roading or on a hwy, it calculates the same way.

(Should I also note that Mobil EP does not carry a spec for either of the above approved GM Specs?)

Last edited by f5fstop : 09-05-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

afaik, only Mobil 1, Chevron Supreme Synthetic and Texaco Havoline Synthetic meet the GM4718M spec for synthetic oil. Not that every other synthetic is worthless ... they just may not be certified yet.

I'm a big fan of Mobil1 and have used it in all my vehicles. Makes cold startups a LOT easier.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Hummer Guru

Not really, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Amsoil ASL (Amsoil XLF full syn, Group III, does not, but it meets the 6094 spec...go figure that one, since both are labeled full synthetic), and Castrol also meet the GM synthetic oil spec, in their respective FULL synthetic oils. There may be others too, but these I know for sure do meet the spec (4718).
In addition, Mobil 1 and Amsoil's ASL are the only two PAO/Group IV synthetic motor oils on the market. The remainder, including Amsoil's XLF are Group III hydro-cracked synthetic oils. This last bit of info basically means nothing since the important thing is the oil meets or exceeds the GM required spec.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the correction F5
Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Hummer Expert

Thanks for the info. If you go to the Mobil 1 website it says Mobil 1 EP is right for your car...

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...ilOption2.aspx

What's the right oil for my car?

Our products in the viscosity right for your vehicle

We've taken what you told us about your vehicle and driving conditions, and using an auto industry database, have determined our products in the viscosity recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. These products are shown categorized by the level of protection they provide. To learn more about a product, click its name.

Current Vehicle:
Year: 2006
Make: Hummer
Model: H3
Engine Type: 5cyl. 3.5Liter

Ultimate Protection

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. It provides guaranteed performance and protection for 15,000 miles or one year. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain extra performance additives to help deliver outstanding engine protection.

Mobil 1 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 with SuperSyn Technology, is the approved and the first choice of many premium car manufacturers, including Corvette.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1® Truck & SUV 5W-30 is engineered for gasoline engines in hard-working trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

What kind of oil filter would you guys recommend if I'm going to switch to synthetic oil?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
Thanks for the info. If you go to the Mobil 1 website it says Mobil 1 EP is right for your car...

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...ilOption2.aspx

What's the right oil for my car?

Our products in the viscosity right for your vehicle

We've taken what you told us about your vehicle and driving conditions, and using an auto industry database, have determined our products in the viscosity recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. These products are shown categorized by the level of protection they provide. To learn more about a product, click its name.

Current Vehicle:
Year: 2006
Make: Hummer
Model: H3
Engine Type: 5cyl. 3.5Liter

Ultimate Protection

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. It provides guaranteed performance and protection for 15,000 miles or one year. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain extra performance additives to help deliver outstanding engine protection.

Mobil 1 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 with SuperSyn Technology, is the approved and the first choice of many premium car manufacturers, including Corvette.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1? Truck & SUV 5W-30 is engineered for gasoline engines in hard-working trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles.

I'm sure they will say it is right for your car (truck), but all I'm saying is I see no notice that it is approved by the GM standards. In addition, since Mobil 1 exceeds what you should be using, you are paying a premium for an oil you probably do not require, that for some reason, has not passed the GM spec.
I'm sure it is good oil, and I'm would almost bet it won't hurt the engine.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Hummer Expert

f5f I hope I didn't come across as arguing with you. I wasn't. It's just a pain for a layman to make sense of certifications, ect. Especialy when most of the info is put outby oil companies who want to make their product look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLeon
What kind of oil filter would you guys recommend if I'm going to switch to synthetic oil?

I use Fram's Tough Guard or Extra Guard. I don't know how long the fiters are good for. Fram's site doesn't address this though they do make a 7000 mile oil filter. I think that's new because I don't remember seeing it several months ago.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
f5f I hope I didn't come across as arguing with you. I wasn't. It's just a pain for a layman to make sense of certifications, ect. Especialy when most of the info is put outby oil companies who want to make their product look better.

I use Fram's Tough Guard or Extra Guard. I don't know how long the fiters are good for. Fram's site doesn't address this though they do make a 7000 mile oil filter. I think that's new because I don't remember seeing it several months ago.

I am not arguing with you, I'm just letting you know that it appears the Mobil EP oil does not meet GM specs, and thought you might like to know that, since many do not look at the specs (which you admit you don't pay attention too.)
I'm sure the oil is ok, and is good. I was just trying to inform you...and you take it as an argument. Please understand, I dont' care what you use.....you can use re-cycled bulk oil in the engine.

So, I feel this conversation is over....
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
So, I feel this conversation is over....