H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road
Default front hitch mount

I found a company that makes front trailer hitches for the H3. I am trying to get more info and pics of what it would look like.

http://www.hitchfinder.com/frontmount_main.htm#Hummer

My goal is to have a removable winch. I know that H2's have the front hitches, I am wondering if this will be a good solution for us 3'ers.

sorry for the heep

So hopefully the mount for us would be level with the frame rails and put the hitch right behind the license plate. I know you would have to modify that lower bumper (the website says you would have to remove it) hopefully I get some pics from them so I can get a better idea of what they offer.

So, what are the pros and cons of the front receiver for the H2's?

Anybody else interested in a setup like this for a winch mount?

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: front hitch mount

got a custom hitch mount on my h3 front. Used for boat towing certain narrow spots. Its made from 2 metal angle stocks bolted to the frame. Only issue is the tongue sticks out a little and is a bit of a shin and others bumpers hazard...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Lex_Ordo

I'd be interested in one as well.
Maybe a design that would utilize the front tow hook mounting areas to keep it in line with the chasis.
The tow hooks could still be attached to the mount, and the receiver, would be as strong as the rear bcause it is mounted directly to the frame.

As far as sticking out. I don't think it would be that much of an issue. better protection from parrallel parkers if you want to know the truth.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Big Dad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Ordo
I'd be interested in one as well.
Maybe a design that would utilize the front tow hook mounting areas to keep it in line with the chasis.
The tow hooks could still be attached to the mount, and the receiver, would be as strong as the rear bcause it is mounted directly to the frame.

As far as sticking out. I don't think it would be that much of an issue. better protection from parrallel parkers if you want to know the truth.

I like that pintle hook and trailer setup you've acquired. Was it through DRMO?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road

Definately interested. Living in the city, the idea of a removable winch is very attractive, both for security and parking reasons. I wonder if they have any details/photos on the install?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPan099
Definately interested. Living in the city, the idea of a removable winch is very attractive, both for security and parking reasons. I wonder if they have any details/photos on the install?

I emailed the company and hopefully get some specs/pics of the setup. I will have to look at the front end on my 3 to see where it would possibly bolt on and how far it would stick out. Ideally for me, I would like it to barely stick out of a cut out in the front lower bumper, like what the H2 has.

wpage, any pics of your setup?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

06-H3 is on a distinguished road

I just installed a front hitch on my '06, along with a 9,000 lb winch. If you'd like I can try to get some pics this afternoon and post them here. The hitch does not stick out past the front of the bumper, hardly even notice it is on there. You have to remove the front skid plate, though, in order for it to bolt to the frame. I'm now working on trying to modify the skid plate in such a way that I can bolt it back on.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-H3
I just installed a front hitch on my '06, along with a 9,000 lb winch. If you'd like I can try to get some pics this afternoon and post them here. The hitch does not stick out past the front of the bumper, hardly even notice it is on there. You have to remove the front skid plate, though, in order for it to bolt to the frame. I'm now working on trying to modify the skid plate in such a way that I can bolt it back on.

That would be great!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Lex_Ordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dad
I like that pintle hook and trailer setup you've acquired. Was it through DRMO?

No just from a surplus dealer. I had to spend a few months tracking down the OEM's for some of the parts, but the trailer was in un-issued conditoin to begin with so a small amount of rust cleanup, and paint did wonders.
The resat was just additions to bring it back up to originality.

The front receiver would be great to add another Pintle to. Hit my bumper! Go ahead. I dare you.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Hummer Guru

Big Dad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No just from a surplus dealer. I had to spend a few months tracking down the OEM's for some of the parts, but the trailer was in un-issued conditoin to begin with so a small amount of rust cleanup, and paint did wonders.
The resat was just additions to bring it back up to originality.

The front receiver would be great to add another Pintle to. Hit my bumper! Go ahead. I dare you.

No doubt, a pintle usually puts a rather nice dimple in anything!

I'd like to find a trailer like that...I think there's an online DRMO before I started scrounging at military bases. Thanks again for the info! I think you did a great job with it.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3slate
That would be great!

I got a few pics taken last night, but didn't get a chance to upload them yet. I will do it in the next day or so and post them here.

But just as an FYI, I did all my shopping for parts at www.etrailer.com. I bought the front trailer hitch, the winch mount and the winch. I'm now looking to get a new battery and replace the winch power cables with a quick disconnect set up that can reach both the front and the back of the truck so I can mount the winch on the front or rear, depending on the situation I find myself in.

Putting the trailer hitch on was the hardest part. The angle to get the front two bolts on (there are 4 total) was a real pain. There is no drilling required, but there isn't much room. I have a buddy with a garage lift so I went over to his place to install everything. Looking back, it probably would have been easier to remove the front bumper to put everything on, but it isn't necessary. Anyway, I'll try to get my pics posted by tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

As promised, here are a few pics of my front hitch mount, with and without the winch:

slight down angle to get an idea of how far it sticks out. It looks further than it really is. The receiver itself sits far enough back that it won't get caught by people walking in front of the truck.

looking straight down

straight at the winch

winch from the side

Only thing I'm not happy about is how much it will affect the approach and departure angles. I'm working with a friend of mine to build a winch mount that will sit higher up towards the grill.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Hummer Authority

Thanks for the pics, I was hoping to have the mount a bit higher too. I was hoping it would come out right where the front license plate is.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I got one of these for the back hitch (Im putting it on next week)
There made for a front receiver.

It would be a little rammer on the front

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...Group?Ntt=skid
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3slate
Thanks for the pics, I was hoping to have the mount a bit higher too. I was hoping it would come out right where the front license plate is.

So was I. I almost cancelled my order after thinking about how low the hitch sat. If we can't fabricate a new mount, I'm thinking of buying one of these:

but installing it upside down. As long as it will stick out far enough from the bumper at that angle, it would raise the hitch mount 4 or 6 inches, depending on the one I get.

My wife is getting a bit upset. What she thought was a simple winch purchase is adding up as I keep getting these little extras for the set up; new battery, quick disconnect power cables, hitch extender, etc. Like I told her, wanna play we gotta pay.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-H3
So was I. I almost cancelled my order after thinking about how low the hitch sat. If we can't fabricate a new mount, I'm thinking of buying one of these:

but installing it upside down. As long as it will stick out far enough from the bumper at that angle, it would raise the hitch mount 4 or 6 inches, depending on the one I get.

My wife is getting a bit upset. What she thought was a simple winch purchase is adding up as I keep getting these little extras for the set up; new battery, quick disconnect power cables, hitch extender, etc. Like I told her, wanna play we gotta pay.

You might want to watch out with those - winches put a LOT of stress on parts, and hitch adapters like that may not be rated to handle what your winch would pull.

This of this - if you are pulling your 4900# H3 up a hill out of a ditch, and you have a hitch that's rated at 4500# (the tow rating of the H3) and then you change that rating by using an extension bar like that (that drops the rating), you run the risk of the hitch being used outside it's rating - not a always a good idea! A 9000# winch can tear out a hitch (or hitch pin!) if the conditions are right, not something you want to have happen in the field...
Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Lex_Ordo

I seem to remember a member here designing a winch mount that was a steel shelf if you will that bolted to the front tow hook mounts, and sat above the license plate to keep the winch higher up and keep the plate intact.

Why not a 2" receiver that mounts the same way?

I really believe that if the tow hook mounts can be utilized, it would make the receiver/hitch/winch, whatever, as strong as it could be for the truck since it will be directly mounted to the chasis/frame.
The Hooks can be reattached in the same location. We'd probably need to use slightly longer grade 8 bolts to complete the task.

I posted a question to memebr CrisB, who is the guy that designed a really awesome looking winch mount. It is listed in the Classifieds thread. Maybe he'd be interested in making a modification of his winch mount into a 2" receiver mount for the front of the truck?

Last edited by Lex_Ordo : 11-08-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
I seem to remember a member here designing a winch mount that was a steel shelf if you will that bolted to the front tow hook mounts, and sat above the license plate to keep the winch higher up and keep the plate intact.

Why not a 2" receiver that mounts the same way?

I really believe that if the tow hook mounts can be utilized, it would make the receiver/hitch/winch, whatever, as strong as it could be for the truck since it will be directly mounted to the chasis/frame.
The Hooks can be reattached in the same location. We'd probably need to use slightly longer grade 8 bolts to complete the task.

I posted a question to memebr CrisB, who is the guy that designed a really awesome looking winch mount. It is listed in the Classifieds thread. Maybe he'd be interested in making a modification of his winch mount into a 2" receiver mount for the front of the truck?

That was a very good mount, and I liked that you could take it off too, Chris B. did have to do a couple of mods to prevent it flexing, but all and all a good design. If it came down to making a mount with a receiver like that, I would just get the winch mount.

After seeing the front hitch mount sitting so low, I am starting to think that I should just go back to looking for a good winch mount/bumper.