H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale
Default Pittman and Idlers Arms shot

I took my H2 in for a rotation at the service shop. They now say that I need $1100 worth of work to get new idler and pittman arms on my 2005 H2 with 43000 miles on it and I also need to replace a boot just inside the left front wheel. I have been reading some threads here about how to do some of this stuff but I need to know where to buy some of these parts. It seems FAbTech has some good stuff but at one of the national hummber club events, a guy told me who to order this stuff from but now I can't remember. Any suggestions?? Who sells it?
2005 H2 wht 41000 on it. Sounds kinda of young for Pittman and idler arm problems.
DAvid
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pittman and Idlers Arms shot

By 41/43K I think I've replaced 2 or 3 pitman and/or idler. Cognito makes pitman/idler support kit, pivot kit, and uniball upper arm control that's supposed to greatly improve the front end of the H2 and reduce wear on idler/pitman -- though you might need to start with a good set. For oem parts, check with gmpartsdirect.com. Moog makes popular beefier after market.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a new pitman and Idler, get the support brackets from Cognito Motorsports and get the Fabtech or Rancho steering damper, might as well do this the right way. Once you add all these components you will find that the steering is better than when you got the truck on day 1.

Buy the Pitman and Idler from RockAuto YOU WILL SAVE BIG WHEN BUYING FROM THIS SITE!!

PITMAN ARM - Made by MOOG!!

IDLER ARM - Made by MOOG!!

COGNITO SUPPORT BRACKETS

RANCHO STEERING DAMPER Note: Hummer H2 already has mounting holes for this unit, you will not need the bottom brackets as shown in this image, the kit you get is a simple bolt on application.

I have these all installed on my rig and the steering is excellent, better than new! Plus you will never need to replace the Pitman or Idler ever again. Your investment along with install for all these parts including labor will be around $600-$800.00.

Cheers!

Last edited by MDimitri : 05-14-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

MDimitri, my truck is in the shop as we speak, getting the Cognito support bracket installed (already have Moog pitman and Fabtech idler & tie rods). My mechanic just called to tell me that my Fabtech steering stabilizer would not fit with the Cognito kit and that the OEM mounts had been removed by 4WP when they installed the Fabtech stuff. Does that make sense to you, that there is interference with the Cognito kit from the steering damper, i.e., does your Rancho stabilizer fit close to the Cognito bracket?

It looks like I'll need to have something fabbed up if I don't want to run without a steering stabilizer.

By the way, the mechanic also noticed that my front left wheel bearing was shot...said I was close to losing that wheel. LOL

Last edited by TXSUT : 05-14-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

Hey H2Finally and MDimitri,
Thanks a bunch for the info, esp. the pics and links MDimitri. I appreciate your help. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Do you guys have any experience in doing any of this yourself? I enjoy getting my hands dirty but never had any success in getting these arms off their mountings.
David
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Auggie Mathis is off the scale

They are easy to put on . However you will need a arm puller to get them off. The cognito kits help the arms last a lot longer. I put a new set of arms on my 08 this past weekend . It has 18k miles but it gets wheeled every weekend.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

SummitUp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDimitri
Buy the Pitman and Idler from RockAuto YOU WILL SAVE BIG WHEN BUYING FROM THIS SITE!!

I see RockAuto offers these parts manufactured by Spicer as well as Moog. Other than Moog being more expensive than Spicer, has Moog been shown to be better or superior in any way compared to Spicer?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Cognito has 3 parts: support kit, pivot kit, and uniball upper control arm kit. The pivot kit requires minor cutting & welding. The rest are bolt-on. I chose to install all 3 (on good oem idler & pivot), because I also installed Suspension MAXX leveling kit (torsion key) & rear coil spacer (along with Fabtech tie-rods, steering stabilizer & Bilstein shocks) to raise my truck abt 2" to fit 37" Toyo MT without rubbing & a bit more clearance for rock-crawling.

While some had better-than-stock ride after, I have a bit more problems. The truck wonders in freeway speeds, and the ride is harsher than stock. But the Cognito components supposed to protect the idler/pitman for the long run, and I simply LOVE the 2" raise & bigger tires look on my H2.

FYI, you can fit 37" BFG AT & 37" MT/Rs bone stock with only minor rubbing. The Toyo's are bigger/closer to true 37" & is 13.5" wide which rubs like a bitc*h.

But if you're not rock-crawling, I would stick to just the Cognito support kit, Fabtech tie-rod & steering stabilizer, on good oem idler/pitman (if covered under warranty), or Moog if buying aftermarket.

Or you can leave everthing stock and just replace idler/pitman occassionally as I did for 4 years..
Old 06-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

You guys are great, lots of good information. Now, in checking the pittman arms at RockAuto, I see a 3 groove and a 4 groove. Which do I need and what is it that has the groove?
David
Old 06-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the Cognito support kit. I'd recommend it to anyone. I had at least 6 idler/pitman replacements and am running oem parts now, but since I've added the support kit I haven't used any additional idler/pitman arms in about 20k miles. I used to have them replaced every 6k miles or so. I would especially recommend it if you tow very often or very far. When my extended warranty is up, I will have the cognito parts installed at my local tire shop. (whom I trust to do the work)

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

Thanks, I'm definitely going do the Cognito Kit. I have three other questions however about this project.
1. Where's the best place to get the Fabtech tie rods from? I was told at the Texas Hummer event but I've forgotten the name of the place.

2. Will the Rancho Steering Damper fit with the Cognito kit in place?

3. I need a new front CV boot. I guess the tie rod punched a small hole in it when it broke. Are they available separately or do I have to buy the whole axle shaft? Anyone know a part number??

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Hummer Authority

SnakeH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDimitri
Buy a new pitman and Idler, get the support brackets from Cognito Motorsports and get the Fabtech or Rancho steering damper, might as well do this the right way. Once you add all these components you will find that the steering is better than when you got the truck on day 1.

RANCHO STEERING DAMPER Note: Hummer H2 already has mounting holes for this unit, you will not need the bottom brackets as shown in this image, the kit you get is a simple bolt on application.

DM, I've ordered everything and having them installed for $120. However, I haven't ordered the damper yet. The site you provided lists a bunch of vehicles, but no GM vehicles. Is there any specific model number I should be looking for? Also, I assume I need to order the entire "kit." Correct? About $140? Oh, I am running 37" tires and it looks like this is recommended for up to 35". Are there others for the bigger tires. BTW, I have a Rancho lift. Thanks in advance for the help.

Snake
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxdi
you can get them also.

That's the place I recommended, but it seems that mentioning them on this site is forbidden and will be deleted by the moderators. I guess some panties are meant to stay wadded.