PDA

View Full Version : Winch Installation

Woogy
02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Has anyone installed the wiring for a Warn Multi-Mount winch system? Can someone give me color on the complexity of wiring it up (both front and back)? I'm trying to decide if I can do this myself or should I go to the dealer (trying to save a trip).

Thanks

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space

Woogy
02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Has anyone installed the wiring for a Warn Multi-Mount winch system? Can someone give me color on the complexity of wiring it up (both front and back)? I'm trying to decide if I can do this myself or should I go to the dealer (trying to save a trip).

Thanks

HHummer
02-16-2003, 05:09 PM
I have not seen a dealer wired vehicle, but the front is easy. There is easy access for the power connection inside the red box between the battery and alternator. It snaps open for connecting a jumper cable. It would be wise to add a heavy switch (starter solenoid works well) close by so that the Warn cable lead is not "hot" all of the time. A very good ground is available at the alternator mount. (note: it is labled ground) The cable will run nicely inside the engine compartment strapped along the radiator hose from the left to the right. The Warn plug can be "stored" nicely wrapped around the plastic bucket on the right, and the dust plug can be attached there. It is very quick and simple to unplug and extend through a nicely sized opening to the right of the radiator that has a very light flap covering. Then just drop the cable through the rightmost grill slot and close the hood to install your multi-mount on the front. (if you purchased aftermarket, you will probably have to drill a vertical hole through the multi-mount to install the long pin that comes in your Hummer H2 jack tools package.)

Sorry, I have not checked on the rear, but any heavy cable run should certainly be switched, too.

Ranger Rick
02-17-2003, 04:49 AM
I have the warn multi-mount winch I had it before my H2 I got it first for my tahoe & now use it with my H2 its great I mounted the front pwr plug on the bumper next to the winch pin I also have the rear pwr plug its mounted to the bottom of the rear hitch its the best winch system I have ever had also I replaced the oem battery with a optima battery & will be soon adding a second one THE WINCH INSTALL IS EASY SAVE THE MONEY DO IT YOUR SELF!

SJ
02-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Keep this topic alive!!! HHummer's description sounds easy enough, but I'd like to hear more about the install if you go the do-it-yourself route Woogy.

JohnD
02-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I highly suggest wiring winches directly to the battery, if you are concerned about leaving a live power feed outside the vehicle when using the disconect w/ the multi mount system most marine stores sell large cut off switches you can instal along with it.

FWIW the Warn multi mount is OK but no where near the ideal way to mount a winch. If anyone is really serious about winching and expects to be doing some heavy pulls from side angles wait untill a better option arises. That bumper shown in another thread looks like it might be a better solution, not sure if it is on the market yet though.

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Termination @ Front

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Control cable Stowed.

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Negitive lead connected to battery.

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Positive lead connected in Red box (remote battery/starter connector)

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Remote control, antenna location

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Canyon shot

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Nothing to do with the winch, but a clean install of breakAway.

Hummie2
02-20-2003, 05:29 PM
OK i'll be the first to ask: whats the Breakaway?

BTW nice install on the winch. Thanks for the pics

Don

Big Z
02-20-2003, 05:58 PM
The BrakeAway is part of an air braking system, When pulling this rig around. In case of a disconnect, there is enough air in this cylinder to apply the brakes and stop it.

Hope the pics help with your winch installs.

Don, thanks for the comp

Bob

Woogy
02-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Great directions and thanks for the pictures.

W

TonkaH2
02-21-2003, 03:02 AM
I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to spend an extra $300 or so to go through the dealership and get the warranty. Actually, my local truck shop would install rear connections too, so I guess it's more like a $435 difference. [If I had time to install it myself I would, but the big '2 won't fit in my garage anyway, and it's cold out!]

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. IN MY HANDS!!!
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

Woogy
02-21-2003, 02:04 PM
My dealer wants over $1,600 for the winch and install. I figure with buying from the web and doing it myself I'm saving at least $500.

That's $500 more to go towards that Gobi rack I "need".

Big Z
02-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Have you checked any local 4X shops that sell winches? A little competition might save some bucks. You'll get the warrenty, (on the winch) dealer installed or not.

Woogy
02-21-2003, 06:39 PM
The local shops I've checked out are somewhat competitive with the online pricing I've found at www.theptking.com (http://www.theptking.com). However, he is offering the multimount that is already set up for the H2's front receiver. Not to mention that H2 Hummer logo on the winch case.

Big Z
02-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Have followed these links, about Winch stuff?

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=2236092922

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=5136029981

Woogy
02-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Absolutely. I'm spending way too much time trolling through this board. However, I'm learning a great deal.

I'm also finding all kinds of great things to spend money on. I really appreciate the pics you posted Big Z. Its great to have a frame of reference.

TonkaH2
02-22-2003, 03:33 AM
My local shop gave me a good enough price, plus can do the install of the rear harness I don't have time to do, so they get the job. I plan to need a winch this weekend, as they may get more than the 5 feet of snow they've already got up in northern Michigan. Yee-haw!

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. IN MY HANDS!!!
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)