PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone changed to HID headlight?

DRTYFN
11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm very curious to hear some feedback from anyone that has swapped out their OEM headlights for HID's.
I've been looking at the set at Breathless and also the system at the Sylvania site.

DRTYFN
11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm very curious to hear some feedback from anyone that has swapped out their OEM headlights for HID's.
I've been looking at the set at Breathless and also the system at the Sylvania site.

Happy Hummer
11-21-2002, 12:09 AM
I bought the kit from breathless and install took about 20 minutes. The lights are VERY BRIGHT. The only thing is that you have no high beams. I just aimed my brush fog lights up higher and use them. I really don't need the high beams since these are about 150% brighter than stock lights.

ROB

2003 Hummer H2, Lux. Black
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod 2 Tone

DRTYFN
11-21-2002, 12:43 AM
NO HIGH BEAMS!!!! I spoke with the Breathless phone-monkey and specifically asked if they were high and low beams. I was told they were. Which company manufactures the lights?

BreathlessPerformance.com
11-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Phone Monkey??? Did I speak to you or who did you talk to? That is the first time we have been called that. Our staff goes out of the way to try to help our customers, if you feel that they did not help you please let me know who it was.

The HID kit for the H2 has only the Low beam. We can get you a Low & High but your light output would not be brighter and you would have to worry about a electric motor inside the bulb kit burning out.

Thank You, Ernie

JCJ
11-28-2002, 10:27 AM
"Ice White Platinum High Performance Xenon"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873536201&ed=1038877438&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOT:MT:3

Then why a lot cheaper than Breathless' HID?

JCJ
11-28-2002, 10:31 AM
This one HAS high beam and you get also a set to replace the day running lights included!
BTW folks, check your DRL bulbs. I found mine were quite dark/burned at the base on inspection.
Maybe they need replacement before burning out, say like every 6 months?

MAC
11-28-2002, 02:46 PM
Aruba, These IceWhite looks nice. It says they are direct replacement, does that mean no special wiring needed, as with other xenon lamps? You just put them in as you would replace a bulb? Judging by what I read there, it $60 each bulb, but must buy 4? $240 or $60 total? Very very nice. Thanks for showing them to us.

JCJ
11-28-2002, 03:06 PM
MAC. Been studying the HID thing a little closer:
1. The kit ($ 60 total) includes all 4 bulbs (2 headlights, low and high beam, and 2 DRL bulbs, they call 'm fog lights).
2. The big difference between this $ 60 set and the more expensive HID lights is the "Color temperature" you get. The cheaper set gets to 5500 K ("Ice White"). The more expensive sets (like the one from Breathless, I guess and the other one on eBay) has even a higher Color Temperature (in the 8000 Kelvin).
3. I chose to try out a deal the local automotive shop offered me: similar "cheap" set of all 4 front white (Xenon) lights for $ 30 (total!). And I tell you the white intense light it gives you is phenominal! I don't know if I could see a difference between 5500 K color temp or 8000 K.
4. And it's just replacement bulbs. No balasts or other extra wiring needed.
5. I would suggest to pass by your local automotive supply store and check out the lighting section for those blue/ice/white bulbs and bring the original bulbs for comparance (# 9007).
6. Of course I would like to hear suggestions of corrections from those more up to date on the HID subject.
You're welcome. JCJ

MAC
11-28-2002, 03:43 PM
Wonderful, Dr. Hannibal Lecter. $30 or $60 iceWhite is all I need. I would think lower temp the better. I will absolutely go with your suggestion and visit the auto stores. Do you have any brand and parts numbers for the ones you are using now? Why pay $600 when I can pay $60, why pay $60 when I only have to pay $30? Best value for a truely useful product.
Not sure DRL needs iceWhite, its daylight anyway. Or maybe not, iceWhite shines even during the day, will look nicer.

I have been eagerly searching high and low and want to add something to my Hummer, but personally I have not seen anything I need nor want. Its like a kid with fresh holiday money standing in a toy store looking for the right toy. I see all these other kids walking out of the store with 1000 watts stereo, GPS, 4 LCDs, exhaust and inflatable dolls.

JCJ
11-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Okay, so MAC wants his brains picked.

Replacement Head light bulb: Herrero & Sons Corp Automotive Accessories, Item # 15.BH9007/1X. Xenon Halogen Bulb, 100/80 (high/low) watts 12 volts, X-treme white.

Replacement RDL bulb: LUKS BX-523 Xenon/Krypton+ Blue, 12 V 35/5 watts.

Bon apetit!

JCJ

MAC
11-28-2002, 06:11 PM
These are what I found. Aruba's $30 a set of is still the best price by 50% less.

HIGH INTENSITY AUTOMOTIVE LIGHTING

HID lights are a hot option offered on some of today’s high-end luxury cars. These new type of lights offer significantly better long-range vision because of the “ultra white” light that they produce.
Unfortunately, true HID lighting is still very expensive and only available from the factory on a few vehicles at this point. While there are some aftermarket kits becoming available, these kits require custom installations (inclusive of ballasts and special wiring) and still run in the $1200-1800 range. There is an inexpensive alternative:
“ Xenon HID-White” Light Bulbs!

“Xenon HID-White” bulbs have a special blue glass that actually increases the color temperature (4000K) of the bulb closer to that of daylight, thus producing a significantly whiter light beam, resulting in greatly improved night vision. This special process dramatically increases the whiteness of the light with only a trace of blue hue at the headlight periphery. The improvement in night vision provided by these light bulbs is dramatically illustrated below: (Not shown on this posting)

“Xenon HID-White’s” utilize a Halogen/Xenon/Krypton gas mixture to cool the light filament, thus allowing the bulb to process higher light output resulting in a 30 percent increase in perceived light. These high-end “Xenon HID-White” bulbs cost just about the same as any standard good quality regular replacement bulb!!
While this type of bulb is not completely equal to the light output of a true HID system, It’s a very viable alternative at about 97% savings!
"Easy Installation and a Great Price!"

EASY INSTALLATION
The installation of “Xenon White’s” is VERY easy. Just replace your current regular light bulbs with these. It’s just that simple!
Your brilliant Xenon Replacement Bulb
Sets (2-bulbs) cost only: $ 15.95 - 28.95

We also carry a brand new DOT-Compliant (street legal) “Platinum Series” (3800K) version of our Xenon HID-White headlight bulbs that are “100% street legal”. These bulbs feature a pale lavender colored glass that provides a significantly brighter and whiter light beam than standard halogen bulbs. These bulbs also utilize a high-performance gas mixture of Halogen/Xenon/Krypton gases for increased performance while still keeping the operating temperatures low.

http://www.autostockinc.com/xenon.html

JCJ
11-28-2002, 09:47 PM
By checking out http://www.autostockinc.com/bulbs.html
I guess your best and comparable choice would be to order a set of the 9007 (HB5; including license to kill?) 110/80 watts HID bulbs for $ 24.95 (+ S&H, battery not incluided /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). However I don't see the DRL bulbs.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll like it too...

MAC
11-28-2002, 10:03 PM
But you paid $30 for set of 4, does it consisted 2 for head lamps and 2 for DRL? It may search for them in auto stores, the Kragan chain around here are all in very shape with limited inventory and salespeople don't know much. Some of these HID bulbs are "street legal", which means others are not legal, that is not a main point but taken into consideration, I assume the stree legal ones are less bright?
Thanks for bring them to our attention, I did not know such economical and effective solution existed. Exactly what I wanted.

JCJ
11-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Yup: I paid (the equivalent of) $ 30 for 4 (four) HID bulbs, 2 head lights and 2 DRL lights ($ 7.50 each). Of course they might not be the REAL HID thing, but right now I don't think I would see the difference (yet) if I could compare them with the (much) more expensive thing with (real?) Hella Xenon gas in 'm and ballasts etc.
Now I know you're thinking: Hey, sell 'm on E-bay. I am sorry, I don't have that much time.
Just enough to sit and semi-chat here on the H2 forum.

MAC
11-29-2002, 02:35 AM
Nope, I didn't think about eBay. I'll just pay a little more and buy them online, save me a trip to those auto parts joints, don't know why people work there are always so rude and impatient. Sent an email inquiry to that online outfit about DRL bulbs, see what they say, or buy the eBay ones at $60. Good enough for me, why mess with balast, wires or whatever you call it. Maximum benefit for the least cost & energy. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/MiscDogrun.gif

MAC
11-30-2002, 06:26 PM
9007 (HB5) XENON Platinum 2-Bulb Set
New DOT compliant 2-bulb set producing a "brilliantly white" beam of light.
Featuring new lavender colored glass envelope and an exotic mixture of Halogen/Xenon/Krypton gases for excellent output with a color temperature of 3800K! Since this bulb is DOT compliant, it is considered 100% street legal!
#DOT-9007XPP2...$24.95
http://www.demandmotorsports.com/MM006.ASP?pageno=32

For DRL replacement Xenon gas charged 3157 Dual filament wedge bulb. Designed to match your HID or Xenon type headlight bulbs. Natural blue color. $8.95 each.
http://www.demandmotorsports.com/MM004.ASP?pageno=43

For DRL replacement bulb, there are LED bulbs @ $9.95 each. In red, amber (yellow) colors.
http://www.demandmotorsports.com/MM003.ASP?pageno=61

MAC
11-30-2002, 10:37 PM
I just ordered the Xenon bulbs online, will let you know how they work out. For the DRL, I ordered amber(yellow) LED bulbs, have no idea what they are, no risk no gain.

buddy
12-03-2002, 11:28 PM
I just finished installing the HID kit from Ernie at Breatheless Performance. These HID's eliminate the high beam, but still illuminate the road better than stock high beams.

The install is very easy. Just one of those plug and play deals. No cutting of any of the factory wiring, splicing, or soldering. Easy upgrade..
Sounds like I work for Ernie doesn't it..but I would like to say, "Thanks Ernie". Now I can see again at night without running my high beams all the time.

Now, if we just this beast to run like the Z06.

Buddy

DRTYFN
12-04-2002, 02:46 AM
What's that you say? NO HIGH BEAMS?!!!! See!!!! I told you that those guys at breathless are full of it!! Ernie gets on here and gives me the riot act because I simply said that his phone monkey had told me that there were no high beams. And now that one of us has finally installed the HID's from breathless and given all of JAson's children a definitive answer that NO there are NO HIGHBEAMS I would just like to say to Ernie- TTTTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPTTTT!!!!!!(rasberry) /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Klaus
12-04-2002, 03:18 AM
There may be another possible solution to the headlight upgrade. I sent a few emails to Daniel Stern http://lighting.mbz.org/ and he indicated that the H2 has a standard 7" headlight, and that it is possible to replace the headlight with an E-Code Cibie headlamp, which uses a replaceable H4 bulb.

I bought a set of Cibie E-Codes from him years ago for my Corvette, and it was well worth it. I am seriously considering this upgrade.

Klaus

12-04-2002, 12:53 PM
This is for DRTYFN

First you can get the HID kit as a low and high beam but here are the problems.

They use a motor to move the bulb up and down on the reflector to cause a different beam pattern but not a higher output. This does not really act as a low/high beam. Second the motor used to do this function is relatively new and has not been fully tested over a course of time. Some manufactures have told us that they have had some problems with the motor cycling back and forth. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

My opinion is to use a system that has been tested and proven for years to work correctly then to use a system that has not proved itself. Maybe you might want to buy a low/high beam version and give it a try over the long haul... good luck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank You, Ernie

buddy
12-04-2002, 01:43 PM
If you want light on the road, the HID's are the way to go. These are low beams only...I have Hella Black Magic's aux lights already mounted on the brush guard for high beams. But, these low beam HID's illuminate better than the Hella's.The Black Magic's are only 55 watt halogen's.

Anyone who wants some intense flame throwing high beams, should check out the Hella 4000's HID's. They come in driving or and pencil beam. I've had the driving versions on my Z-71 PU for over 3 years. As soon as we can made some mounts, we'll be putting them on.

Us old guys need good lighting too.

Buddy

Happy Hummer
12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
I told you guys a few weeks ago that the HID upgrade would loose the high beams. On DARK back roads I just flip on the brush lights. I never use them any other time because these HID's are BRIGHT. I think Ernie did a GREAT job on this "Plug N Play" install.

I have already told Ernie to send me his 2B performance kit ASAP /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif.

Ernie keep up the good work. I LOVE MY HID's. With or without the high beams /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

ROB /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

2003 Hummer H2, Black Lux. Pkg, Breathless HID lights and Stage 2B engine kit, Mazzi Maximus 18" chrome wheels and BFG 35X12.50 18 KM Mud Terrain Tires, Alpine DVD Navigation System
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod 2 Tone Anniversary Edition

valkolton
12-05-2002, 11:42 PM
Let us know how it goes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
I just ordered the Xenon bulbs online, will let you know how they work out. For the DRL, I ordered amber(yellow) LED bulbs, have no idea what they are, no risk no gain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DRTYFN
12-06-2002, 04:17 AM
How am I supposed to take it any easier than I already am? I merely pointed out that when I first called breathless I was told (by their phone monkey)that the $590 HID kit had high and low beams. Then someone says that it only has one setting- low beam. Then ernie tells me that I should know that beacause I must have talked to him. Sorry E, I spoke with a female.
I don't know about you, but I don't like it when I'm told one thing and then find out it's not true. I'm sure that the motorized lights are a major step up in dinero. In my book that's called bait and switch. Now don't get yourselves all in a tizzy rushing to defend breathless because I'm not attacking them. I'm just stating the facts. That is what this forum is about, right?

12-06-2002, 11:59 AM
The only problem is when you are calling one of the girls a phone monkey, that is not called for. The girls in the front sales dept work really hard to try to help each and every customer and do take personally when they are called names (Phone Monkey) Maybe you would take it personally if someone called one of your employees an uncalled for name. If they made a mistake answering your question I apologize but they are only human and try to do the best they can.

Thank you, Ernie

DRTYFN
12-06-2002, 07:45 PM
Ernie,
Sorry you lead such a sheltered life that you've never heard of the term "phone monkey". I've got friends that work for major corporations (Nike, Oracle, ect) in customer service, business development, and order taking and they ALL refer to themselves as phone monkeys. So please go grow another layer or two of skin because the one you've got is too thin to be out in the real world. I bet you're gonna tell us you don't know any cuss words either. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

dr p
12-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Hi- I took delivery of my h2 in July and no replacemts were availible accept bulb repl. I replaced them with 100/80 hella halogens low beam improvement was obvious, however b/c of the american made lenses the high beam improvement was nil. I have had hella replacemts in cars for over 15 years--its the first thing I replace I always go 100/80 or better with Euro lenses they have much much better light because the lens is so much better with the accurate cut off people dont flash high beams and highs are incredibly better. legal?? who is going to know as i said i have been doing this for 15 years and how many years have they been doing this in europe?? until the last post, i have been unable to get replacent lenses. I had one bulb burst and the residue ruined my right lamp. I am going to look into aformentioned replacement lights tonight. As soon as Stinger Mac comes out with a good looking brush guard I'll add that and then two hella rallaye 4000 hid's attached to high beam switch along with 100 watt/euro lenses this really works well on back country roads.

buddy
12-08-2002, 01:04 AM
4000 HID's are all you'll ever need on the darkest back road. I've used them for over 3 years and still can't believe how much light they put out. Good choice, but expensive. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Buddy

valkolton
12-09-2002, 06:37 PM
JCJ,

So how do they look? Do they have that blueish tint?

What is the bottom line of what/where I should buy some bulbs that have the blue tint to them. I have been studying wheel/tires too much to learn all the details on the headlamps.

Thanks!

JCJ
12-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Val et al,
I got my replacement bulbs (it's as easy as that) here (in Aruba) at an automotive shop.
They work out perfectly! Cool and blue. Low and high beam. A real improvement both on the day running lights and the head lights.
I cannot tell the difference, but then I haven't seen Breathless HID setup in real life.
And then probably not real xenon gas inside my cheaper bulbs.
Another issue, however, may be if my bulbs are street legal or not.
Something to find out (sooner or later).
I also looked at the set on eBay by the way:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874037766
The seller claims these are xenon filled.
Good luck.

BEST 4x4xFAR
12-10-2002, 11:52 AM
Hello All,

I see these HID discussions in many forums, and thought I'd offer an Opinion, FWIW. The Replacement "Xenon" and "HID" bulbs are nothing more than the same bulb that came from the factory, but with a blue tint to the Glass Globe to change the color of the light they produce. In the process they decrease light output, and by creating blue light cause glare problems in rain, fog, snow etc. I hate to see anyone spend their money on these gimmicks.

As mentioned, there are companies that sell true HID conversions, but they have two drawbacks. One you loose your high beams, and two they are at best a compromise, as the original headlamp reflector assembly was not designed for them. Headlamps require the light source to be at a very exact position to perform as designed, and the filament in a standard bulb, and the arc in a true HID Capsule are of different lengths, and therefore cannot be positioned properly.

For those of you that Want to Replace your H2’s Headlamps with a truly engineered HID Solution, one that includes High Beams, you are in luck. Sylvania is producing a 7” Round Sealed beam replacement system that uses a True HID low Beam and a Halogen H1 high Beam, all in a 7” headlamp designed for both. Consider yourselves lucky that the H2 has a standard 7” Round headlamp, as it opens up many options for improved lighting, including a true HID Solution. Check it Out…

Sylvania True HID Conversions (http://orderxenarc.sylvania.com/orderxenarc/productenlarged.asp?ProductId=141940&CId=%7BD1B20309%2DE1C3%2D482D%2D9680%2DE9AC1FE4B1D 5%7D&NC=1210200282748)

Scott T.
’95 D-90 (JEEPETR)
’96 Discovery

JCJ
12-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Thanks Scott T.!
So what you say is I can take out the stock head lamp lenses and replace them just like that with the Sylvania Xenarc® HID X6024 Sealed Beam Kit?
What about the Day Running Lights?
Would you know with which Sylvania lens kit I could replace those DRL's?
JCJ

dr p
12-10-2002, 09:45 PM
did you mean to say h3 high beam?

DRTYFN
12-11-2002, 02:09 AM
THANKS BEST!! I was too lazy to type out that info. In my opinion, that does look like the Best system for HID conversions. I'm waiting to hear from someone about how good they actually are.

BEST 4x4xFAR
12-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Hey Guys,

Dr. P., Yes, the high beam is an H3, sorry I meant to make that correction, and forgot to go back and do it. The Quad Lamp replacement uses and H1 for the high beam.

JCJ, Yes they are a direct replacement, pull the old head lamps out, put the new ones in, mount the HID's Ballast, and plug in the harness, that simple. As for the Day Time running lamps, they would be unaffected. You may want to use some of the Coated bulbs just to match the color temperature, or you could probably convert them to real HID with one of the standard Bulb kits, I don't know what type of bulb they take. At any rate, I doubt they really work as much of a lighting source after dark, and would think it would be a waste of money to convert them to true HID, but I could be Wrong....

While we are on the subject of lighting, if you don't want to lay out this kind of money, big, big improvements can be had from fitting e-Code Hella/IPF/Cibie replacement headlamps, with high power H4 Bulbs and a Wiring harness, as another poster has suggested. The beam pattern is much improved over the DOT headlamps, and if you use a quality bulb, and a wiring harness to get it full power the light can be very good, and quite white in appearance. Just another recommendation for something someone else has already posted...

~Scott T.
'95 D-90 (JEEPETR)
'96 Discovery (Not Stock)

LNP
12-11-2002, 04:30 PM
OK here is the deal with HID Lights:
The hummer H2 has single bulb 9007 halogen lights. The bulbs have two filaments, one for low beam and one for high beam. The light source position, (foward or back) determines the beam pattern eg high or low. The reason existing HID kits only had low beam is that by nature there is only one filament. The problem is the light source is in one position-the low beam. The answer is that for a single bulb setup there needs to be a system to physically move the bulb foward and back. Catz (WWW.fet-usa.com, (http://WWW.fet-usa.com,) look for "new products") is introducing just such a system with a solenoid to move the bulb back and forth. This is a simple, reasonably priced, plug and play upgrade. I hope this helps you guys.

12-12-2002, 12:51 PM
We are a WD for FET and have tried there HID unit. It will not fit the bulb extends too far towards the radiator and bumps your radiator support. The overall length is about 8", there is not enough room.

Thank you, Ernie

LNP
12-13-2002, 09:10 PM
I spoke directly with Chris at Fet-usa who told me that there was a problem with the vehicle that Ernie at Breathless tried to install the HID system on. Chris said that he has AT LEAST 150 systems installed on H2s by various people. I think that anyone who is serious about this should call Catz ( fet-usa.com ) and speak to them about their system

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Thanks for working on all this, guys.

I'm going to be doing some long-distance offroading, and so will want as much light as possible. I'm planning on adding 4 lights up top, and 2 to 4 on the brush guard, in addition to upgrading the stock beams.

I'll post a new thread to discuss other lighting options. I'm calling the new thread: "Best offroad lights, period"

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"

MAC
12-15-2002, 07:14 PM
I followed Dr. Aruba's suggestion and changed to Xenon HID 9007 bulbs, without changing to HID system. They are a snap to change. The visibility is better, the head light changed from yellow to white with a blue tint, The improvement is small but noticeable, but worth the very low cost ($25). Of course I later found out you can buy the same bulbs even cheaper ($10) on eBay.

I went with DOT street legal 55 bulbs, the result should be even better with 80/100 power Xenon HID 9007 bulbs, maybe I will buy a new 80/100 pair and try them out, price so low anyway. Full HID system lights are annoyingly blinding to me when I am on the receiving end, consequently I don't want to do that to the others.

I have not change the 3157 DRL bulbs, , but I am interested in changing DRL to a different color just for the look. They cost $5 to $20 on eBay. I see there are green, blue, red available. Anyone tried them yet?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=bulb+9007&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&ht=1&from=R10&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=