PDA

View Full Version : All over the road?

timgco
05-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Was in the mountains yesterday. No really hard trails, just a dirt road with a lot of loose small rocks. than driving home, the truck was all over the road. If i hit a pothole, the truck jerks towards that tire. If there is a dip in the road while cornering it upsets the entire truck. Any ideas before I take in? My confidence in my dealer is almost gone. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

timgco
Was in the mountains yesterday. No really hard trails, just a dirt road with a lot of loose small rocks. than driving home, the truck was all over the road. If i hit a pothole, the truck jerks towards that tire. If there is a dip in the road while cornering it upsets the entire truck. Any ideas before I take in? My confidence in my dealer is almost gone. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

timgco

DRTYFN
05-24-2004, 09:39 PM
How fast were you going, how dramatic is this jerking & how upset was your truck?

RIC-H0
05-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Sounds like maybe your steering stabilizer has either come loose or completely off. I would take a quick look under the front of the vehicle, and see if maybe the weld has broken or to see if the stabilizer is still there.

Just my opinion...
Ric-H2

timgco
05-24-2004, 11:32 PM
DRTYFN, I was going between 60 and 85moh down the canyon. As far as the truck being upset, it was like you just ran over a 2ft boulder at about 25mph. This only happens at the higher speeds. I know it's not a damn porche, but this is something new the truck is doing. It leans farther than normal into corners going left or right. and I definatley feel all of the bumps (small and big) in the steering wheele now too.

RIC-H2, stabilizer is there and tight.

PARAGON
05-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Shocks sound like a likely culprit as well as front or rear stabilizer bars, but it sounds like the shocks would be the answer in my completely unalduterated and indisputed non-expert opinion.

Zing
05-25-2004, 11:34 PM
I have a feeling it could have been the surface combined with going fast. I had this experience one, albeit with a Jeep and not the H2. But I remember the feeling you describe.

DRTYFN
05-26-2004, 03:12 AM
Check the rear sway bar links like Alec said.
But I've got to go with Zing. I've had this experience a couple of times when I was out playing rally driver at 70-80 down some gravel back roads. You've got to remember these things are big heavy scows and need to be flogged to get them to do what you want.

timgco
05-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks Alec, i'm looking into everything today. Bushings are a concern to me. Shocks, swaybar, links, and everything else. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

CO Hummer
05-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Tim,
Maybe your center of gravity is off due to your new rack lights. I guess it's divine payback for stealing them out from under me.

timgco
05-26-2004, 11:46 PM
What lights? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
I didn't put any on my rig.

Big Z
05-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Check the wheel alignment.

timgco
05-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Big Z, tires are pointing in on the bottom more than they should. I am changing out my shocks and steering stabilizer. Than I am getting a front end alignement done. Everything else is tight and I don't see anything cracked or borken in there. The only other concern is the bushings on everything.

ROX
09-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Tim, did you ever get this problem narrowed down?

I had the same problem, the castor and toe was waaaayy out. Now my swaybar has moved off to one side really bad. So I assume the swaybar bushings are shot. (having trouble locating any that can be lubed)

I was just searching threads, and wondered what you found.

HummBebe
09-20-2006, 03:12 AM
That was an all day project, eh???

:jump::jump:

timgco
09-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Yes, I did solve it. That truck is no longer around.:D

Sorry, no advice on this one. After those issues I replaced the shocks, steering stabilzer, front end alingment, balance tires, and all was better.

Oh, Pitman/ idler were also replaced.

So it had to be one of those problems or a couple put together.

sorry.

Motohead
09-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Considering you posted the same message 3 times in a row are you sure the driving problem wasn't due to the 12 pack you downed out there?! :beerchug:

ROX
09-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes, I did solve it. That truck is no longer around.:D
I figured as much, but thanks for the reply.:)

1Sonterra
09-22-2006, 03:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone was going to question the triplett posting!:jump:

timgco
09-22-2006, 04:19 AM
Old posts from the old forum seem to dup themselves.;)

ROX
09-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Old posters from the old forum seem to dup themselves.;):iagree: FXT