PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak

Bad Dawg
04-06-2004, 12:47 PM
I did a search and couldn't find anything about fuel leaks like this. I noticed a few drip spots in my shop so I crawled under the H2 and found a cross member all wet with nothing wet forward of the member. Looking up above the cross member I saw what looks like a filter by the fuel tank. I'm guessing that it's a breather for the smog equipment. Anyhow, either it is letting fuel back through the filter itself or the hose connecting to it is leaking. If it's a "breather" of some kind then it shouldn't have fuel backing up into it. Anyone run into this before??

Bad Dawg
I did a search and couldn't find anything about fuel leaks like this. I noticed a few drip spots in my shop so I crawled under the H2 and found a cross member all wet with nothing wet forward of the member. Looking up above the cross member I saw what looks like a filter by the fuel tank. I'm guessing that it's a breather for the smog equipment. Anyhow, either it is letting fuel back through the filter itself or the hose connecting to it is leaking. If it's a "breather" of some kind then it shouldn't have fuel backing up into it. Anyone run into this before??

Bad Dawg

Bad Dawg
04-06-2004, 01:37 PM
I found this cad picture of the area in question. The leak appears just forward of the orange cross member, in front of the fuel tank.

FrgMstr
04-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I dont see this on mine. I suggest a trip to the shop. Leaking fuel is not anything to take lightly.

Bad Dawg
04-06-2004, 04:57 PM
A trip to the dealer is planned. I was looking for any other's experiance to pass on to the service department to possibly help them out if needed.

Yetti
04-08-2004, 12:59 AM
I was just wondering, do you fill your fuel tank up and then click the pump a few time to top off? if so its probablly fuel being pushed out of the purge vavle on the charcol canister.

H2Finally
04-08-2004, 04:28 AM
Yetti, welcome! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bad Dawg
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Yetti, Hmmm, you might be right. I don't have any puddles under the rig. Just a few drips on the shop floor. I looked last night and the cross member is still wet but maybe it was from my last fill up/top off. I'll clean the bottom off with the power washer and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bad Dawg
04-08-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm taking it in today.

Bad Dawg
04-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Here's one I haven't run into before: It turns out that the slip yoke coming out of the transmission has a cap in the end between the u-joint fingers. It was leaking tranny fluid down the shaft and out the cap! A hollow slip yoke?? I didn't know they were hollow. Well, I didn't smell any fuel, I just assumed it was coming from the fuel filter. I learned something new today.

PARAGON
04-09-2004, 03:02 PM
It seems I remember seeing the slip yoke (not on an H2 and it was a several years ago) with a "hole" in the center. Never thought about it much, but it wasn't capped in any way and seemed more like something left over from the manufacturing process.

Why would the slip yoke need to be hollow and capped? Why does the tranny fluid need to be in there?

I will have to look in my shop manual to see what references it has to this.

Yetti
04-11-2004, 11:22 PM
GM has had the same problem with the leaky slip yoke for years, its common on anything that has alot of suspension travel, thats partly why the Jeep guys use the old style "fixed" tail shaft joint(lets the drive shaft do the work). the GM folks did have a remedy, it was a special grease that one could buy and put in the slip yoke and it wouldn't wash out. plus it didn't dilute the trans fluid in the transfer case.