PDA

View Full Version : Transmission upgrade question

W1N
08-21-2005, 05:41 AM
I've talked to few of you about SC's and what to choose and how can you get best boost for $. It is sure looking like I'll go for the Magnusson Radix. So, I've been told that I should upgrade my transmission as well. Sounds reasonable, but I really know very little about transmissions.

So, I've been told that Corvette Servo 2-4 would be enough. Could someone tell me (I'm an engineer http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) more technically about this upgrade. And also, how is it done? How much work? I would also like to know how does it change the shifting and drive feel of a stock H2, reliability or service procedures?

Thanks!

W1N
08-21-2005, 05:41 AM
I've talked to few of you about SC's and what to choose and how can you get best boost for $. It is sure looking like I'll go for the Magnusson Radix. So, I've been told that I should upgrade my transmission as well. Sounds reasonable, but I really know very little about transmissions.

So, I've been told that Corvette Servo 2-4 would be enough. Could someone tell me (I'm an engineer http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) more technically about this upgrade. And also, how is it done? How much work? I would also like to know how does it change the shifting and drive feel of a stock H2, reliability or service procedures?

Thanks!

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
08-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Install SC. Add tuning that will remove some of the torque management but, not enough with the superchips they provide with SC kit. I would recommend you buy HPTuners.com tuning software and learn to tune not hard and that way you can get better torque management and the superchips leaves about 50 Hp on the table that can be gotten safely with HPTuners software. It is what i use and love it. They are coming out with a complete new platform in around 3 to 4 months that will make it so easy for the average guy or gal to tune for themselves. But, if You do get the software email Ken@HPTUNERS.com and tell Him Rick the H2 he sponsors sent You. Get the basic with I/O Enhancement. If You are not going over 5 lb boost actually the basic tune will work just fine and save You money. If You think later you may go more get the I/O and the 2 bar density which will handle up to about 12 lb. of boost and with the 2 bar you completely remove the MAF from the intake system. They allow You 2 vehicles on one tuning program so You can have H2 and another ride even a buddy and share cost. They will have a 3 bar system soon and I will be testing it on the H2 side for them. They are some of the best LS1 and now a new LS2 programs out. They cover allot of different rides. Great group of guys and they will be at SEMA. I like them enough if they could have gotten a larger booth which they tried and could not I was going to take My rig to SEMA for them just to set it there.

In fact if anyone knows of a good company as I'm in discussion with a few that would like for me to take it to SEMA but, do not know them well. I would rather take it for somebody know by My forum buddies. It is for free just expense to get it there and We can talk about that. We are going anyway so that is what made me think about letting someone use it and We will trailer out there and close shop to provide security and take Our whole crew.

Back to tranny get a 2/4 servo off the same year vette the H2 is and get it installed and would not hurt if while Your getting tranny stuff done look into a vacumm control for line pressure where You get true line pressure increase instead of relying completely on the computer management to get it done. It will actually leave You more line pressure to get if you need it. The trick to making the stock tranny last is to make it shift very firmly so the bands do not slip as much when shifting. If You want a new tranny not a bad idea especailly since You will be outside the USA. Ligenfelter has a good one, Finish Line Performance has a good one. FLP has a 4l65E running prostock I think not sure that has 150 runs on it no wrenchs turned on it. There is another in Ohio but, the name escapes Me. I'll be running allot of HP at the ground and going to run the stock with suggested upgrades and when it goes I'm going to buy a kit and add harden chromed shaft, harden sun cage as the 05 already has the 5 gear palnetary which is what one of the upgrades are to the above mentioned tranny's so it really is not needed for 2005 H2. I will add stall speed converter and good to go. I may do tranny upgrade sooner as the dealer has mentioned doing it for Me as part of sponsorship. I just suggested We get the upgrades and they do it. They have a very good tranny tech. If I get a bad break and crack case then I buy complete tranny for $2800 from FLP and it will have eveything except the 2/4 servo so I can swap it out.

Hoped I helped some. With basic Radix and 5 lb. boost even with the superchips tuning You should not have tranny problems so I would not waste time thinking about it unless You go up in boost. You will be quite happy with 5 lbs.
I'm just a speed junky and more is not ever enough for Me.
TAZ

W1N
08-22-2005, 07:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
Install SC. Add tuning that will remove some of the torque management but, not enough with the superchips they provide with SC kit. I would recommend you buy HPTuners.com tuning software and learn to tune not hard and that way you can get better torque management and the superchips leaves about 50 Hp on the table that can be gotten safely with HPTuners software. It is what i use and love it. They are coming out with a complete new platform in around 3 to 4 months that will make it so easy for the average guy or gal to tune for themselves. But, if You do get the software email Ken@HPTUNERS.com and tell Him Rick the H2 he sponsors sent You. Get the basic with I/O Enhancement. If You are not going over 5 lb boost actually the basic tune will work just fine and save You money. If You think later you may go more get the I/O and the 2 bar density which will handle up to about 12 lb. of boost and with the 2 bar you completely remove the MAF from the intake system. They allow You 2 vehicles on one tuning program so You can have H2 and another ride even a buddy and share cost. They will have a 3 bar system soon and I will be testing it on the H2 side for them. They are some of the best LS1 and now a new LS2 programs out. They cover allot of different rides. Great group of guys and they will be at SEMA. I like them enough if they could have gotten a larger booth which they tried and could not I was going to take My rig to SEMA for them just to set it there.

In fact if anyone knows of a good company as I'm in discussion with a few that would like for me to take it to SEMA but, do not know them well. I would rather take it for somebody know by My forum buddies. It is for free just expense to get it there and We can talk about that. We are going anyway so that is what made me think about letting someone use it and We will trailer out there and close shop to provide security and take Our whole crew.

Back to tranny get a 2/4 servo off the same year vette the H2 is and get it installed and would not hurt if while Your getting tranny stuff done look into a vacumm control for line pressure where You get true line pressure increase instead of relying completely on the computer management to get it done. It will actually leave You more line pressure to get if you need it. The trick to making the stock tranny last is to make it shift very firmly so the bands do not slip as much when shifting. If You want a new tranny not a bad idea especailly since You will be outside the USA. Ligenfelter has a good one, Finish Line Performance has a good one. FLP has a 4l65E running prostock I think not sure that has 150 runs on it no wrenchs turned on it. There is another in Ohio but, the name escapes Me. I'll be running allot of HP at the ground and going to run the stock with suggested upgrades and when it goes I'm going to buy a kit and add harden chromed shaft, harden sun cage as the 05 already has the 5 gear palnetary which is what one of the upgrades are to the above mentioned tranny's so it really is not needed for 2005 H2. I will add stall speed converter and good to go. I may do tranny upgrade sooner as the dealer has mentioned doing it for Me as part of sponsorship. I just suggested We get the upgrades and they do it. They have a very good tranny tech. If I get a bad break and crack case then I buy complete tranny for $2800 from FLP and it will have eveything except the 2/4 servo so I can swap it out.

Hoped I helped some. With basic Radix and 5 lb. boost even with the superchips tuning You should not have tranny problems so I would not waste time thinking about it unless You go up in boost. You will be quite happy with 5 lbs.
I'm just a speed junky and more is not ever enough for Me.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks TAZ!

Man, you've got some serious info behind you! It is great to get such a detailed answer. I think I'll be first off with stock tranny and if I add more boost I'll check the rest later! Me too nothing is enough for me, so I'll se how long I'll be happy with the 6,5s 0-60 http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks again!