PDA

View Full Version : Bad PIAA Light - Repairable?

CslRkH2
11-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Anyone ever have a short in one of the 1500XT driving lights? Is it repairable? Or do I need to buy a new one?

When I hook up this light anywhere on the 6 connection points (6 lights on the rack) it blows the fuse immediately.

CslRkH2
11-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Anyone ever have a short in one of the 1500XT driving lights? Is it repairable? Or do I need to buy a new one?

When I hook up this light anywhere on the 6 connection points (6 lights on the rack) it blows the fuse immediately.

NJ H2
11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Did you open up the light? I had the same problem, 1 of the wires inside the light itself must have moved when I changed the bulb and got crushed when I put the back on. Easy fix just spliced and wrapped it elec tape.

CslRkH2
11-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I will open it up. THANK YOU!!

CslRkH2
11-06-2005, 08:38 PM
No luck there. There's continuity running through the light too, so not sure there's a short. But this one does blow the fuse every time it's in the circuit. Damn

rodster
11-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Is it one specific light that blows the fuse or is it having six lights in the circuit that does it? Do you have four on the front and two in the back? And you're running them all on one switch and circuit?

If it's one light, there's only so much that can go wrong. Perhaps the light body/guts has an wiring problem you haven't picked up on yet? Or maybe one side of the quick disconnect to the light has a problem?

CslRkH2
11-06-2005, 10:43 PM
So a buddy suggested that I try the light without mounting it. He thought the mounting may be causing a short. It in fact was. So I made sure the internal wires were clear of the mounting screws and its working. WAHOO!!