PDA

View Full Version : NE1 have switch lights blow after first use on Delta 10x Light Bar?

tomp
11-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Crap, both of my lights on the included OEM style switches blew out right when I turned them on the first time. All wiring has been verified and is correct. Anyone else have this happen?

tomp
11-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Crap, both of my lights on the included OEM style switches blew out right when I turned them on the first time. All wiring has been verified and is correct. Anyone else have this happen?

HGW
11-10-2005, 12:40 AM
The switches they provided were junk---I did not even bother to put them in--went to an auto parts store and installled some switches I liked.

I believe you about them blowing out. And....the bar is not cheap!

tomp
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I had this custom black vinyl-wrapped switch panel made that fits inside my console.

The two areas/holes drilled for these two switches reached their max size and does not allow for a larger diameter switch to be used there (as in the ones at Radio Shack).

If you look inside your console to the left, you will see a little ledge there. We put this panel right there above that ledge. It looks really good.

There are a total of 5 swithes there. Two towards the back are the smaller Delta switches. You can see how this worked out well because there is less room in this are for larger diameter switches.

The three towards the front are for inside cab winch solenoid (can't open hood with Winch mounted in front to access under hood switch. A relay was also added for so both switches work in conjunction), manual control of DRL lights, and a spare for future.

The entire layout looks like:
1. Spare
2. Winch
3. DRLs
4. Outside Delta Lights
5. Inside Delta Lights

...and CDs can still fit in the consolehttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tomp
11-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Yep, you would know since I put in there after you busted out crying from your last bend-overhttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tomp
11-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I also use those peppermints to shove in your hole to keep the smell down!

LOL....j/k Bro

Adam in CO
11-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Homos.

HGW
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
tomp---I got the same switches you see in the pic. They look good and work fine.

alldunn
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomp:
Crap, both of my lights on the included OEM style switches blew out right when I turned them on the first time. All wiring has been verified and is correct. Anyone else have this happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ordered my Delta light bar from Jason. After I installed it, the same thing happened to me. I, like you, double checked everything. I then called Jason and he got me intouch with the President of Delta. After talking to him for about 30 minutes http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif he told me that basically like HGW said they were junk. He sent me 2 more switches, but I haven't ever bothered installing them. The bar is very high quality though. Too bad they skimped on the switches.

tomp
11-10-2005, 07:40 PM
I am working with Josh from Delta. He is sending me switches to test. My Fluke has Diode testing function.

I am willing to bet that the diodes are manufactured with the polarity reversed. I can't test the blown ones I have.

I checked current flow through the switch and it is only 180 mili-amps and switch is rated for 16 Amps.

I found new replacement switches today at Local store available in both red and blue LED. Made by http://www.pilotautomotive.com.
Pilot Automotive part number for exact demension of the Delta OEM switches are PL-SW15R (red) & PL-SW15B (blue). They are rated for 10amps, diodes test with correct polarity and the switches and LEDs work perfect with Light Bar.

Delta may be offering these real soon.

md_sailor
11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Dont get me started on Delta.... I spent 5 weeks trying to work bugs out of their $1400 HID Headlights... I freaking gave up and Returned them. On the flip Side, Josh is a Great guy and bent over backwards trying to help me isolate the problems and fix them. All to no avail...Dont Order them!

tomp
11-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I hear ya' Sailor. I'd like to meet the guy who wrote the Install Doc for the Delta 10x Light Bar http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

VTSTOMPER
11-11-2005, 01:14 AM
http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ROFL

tomp
11-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Received "test" swtiches from Delta today. What I found is that the LED remains in the circuit after the swtich is turned off. This is correct per the switches wiring diagram. However this is also the cause fo the problem with the quantity and "type" of light used.

When 4 of these PIAA lights are used, and they are turned off, there is an intense amount of power still within the circuit for a few mili-seconds. Once the switch is placed in its' off postion, the "source" power is removed. Therefore the positive energy has to drain back out through the LED diode in reverse polarity.
Applying power to an LED/diode with reversed polarity will blow the LED/diode.

This explains why the switches LEDs work the first time and blow as soon as you turn them off.

I then tested my "working" switches (from a different company) and found that the LED/diode is actually removed from the circuit (not able to detect them with diaode meter & switch in "off" postion) when the switch is in the Off position. This is why these switches continue to work after their first use.

FiremanJay
11-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Tomp i have the delta light bar on the way after jason powdercoates it black for me. i will be going to the dealer to try to find the oem switches like the ones used for the off road lights. you mentioned an issue with the insrtuctions what is that issue?

tomp
11-15-2005, 12:44 AM
My dealer only carried switches directly from Radio Shack.

Definitely get some different switches if you care about the LEDs working. This way you don't drill a hole intended for the Delta ones and can't find another to fit the hole size after the LEDs blow.

The instructions are so bad that I can't even begin to correct them without re-writing the entire thing. Luckily the Light Bar comes with a good wiring harness and is easy enough to figure out with common sense and basic wiring knowledge.

FiremanJay
11-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Cool thanks. I shouldnt have a problem wiring is fairly easy for me. i have wired many motorcycles from the ground up so it should be a simple operation. Jason says light bar should be here in a few days. looking forward to the install

H2Finally
04-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but Delta customer support is NON existant for CUSTOMERS. Apparently they only deal with dealers. I only wanted to get 2 replacement glass, and after being promised "I'll call you back in 10 minutes" 3x in 3 hours for the pricing & availability by "Abel", I gave up. On the last call, he was quite upset I had the gall to keep calling & to question his "call back" promise & to be so impatient after only 3 hours of waiting!

kalantar
04-11-2008, 03:41 AM
If that is the case **** em, I was going to buy a delta but not anymore.
It is wayyyy over priced anyway.