PDA

View Full Version : Best Offroad Lights, Period

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm planning a long-term offroad trip and am looking to add as much light as possible. Driving at speed through Alaska has serious consequences if you can't stop inside your visual range. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

There's another thread already discussing upgrading the stock beams. I'm planning on upgrading the fog lights as well, adding 4 lights across the top, and adding 2 pencil beams to the brush guard.

Who makes the best lights? I'm open to any suggestions about what to mount where too, and how to wire and power it all.

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm planning a long-term offroad trip and am looking to add as much light as possible. Driving at speed through Alaska has serious consequences if you can't stop inside your visual range. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

There's another thread already discussing upgrading the stock beams. I'm planning on upgrading the fog lights as well, adding 4 lights across the top, and adding 2 pencil beams to the brush guard.

Who makes the best lights? I'm open to any suggestions about what to mount where too, and how to wire and power it all.

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order

buddy
12-14-2002, 04:51 PM
and lots of it with the Hella 4000 Motorsport HID's. They are big and the ballast must be mounted very close to the light. A hard light to mount on the H2 with stock brush guards. I know I've tried.

Another excellent light is the KC lite HID's. They will mount on the stock brush guard.

Two of either brand will light more than 6 halogens. Expect to pay $1300-1500 for a set.

Below is a pic of the Hella's mounted on a Z-71.
They come in 2-tone black and red-orange..I painted them black. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Buddy

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 08:37 PM
What did you use for fog lights?

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order

buddy
12-14-2002, 09:41 PM
TonkaH2,

Those are Free Form Reflectors from Hella. Small and compact, but work fairly good.

Check around, there's lots of good lighting. Once you use the HID's, such as the Hella's, everything else will be like using candles.

We used to do a lot of traveling to or from motocross races late at night. Most of our short cuts were old logging roads. With the Hella's, those roads were lit up as far as we could see...we could never over drive the lighting.

Just compare the HID's before you buy, and you'll see what I mean. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DRTYFN
12-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Take a look at these HID's from LightForce. They're huge 10" lights that have a built in ballast. I'm waiting on a mounting bracket from Warn Industries and then I'm ordering a set. I had a set of their 10" halogens and they put everything to shame.
LightForceUSA (http://www.lightforceusa.com/240_hid.html)

dr p
12-15-2002, 12:19 AM
4 rallaye 4000 on top two center eurobeams two on side luminator fogs all with 100w replacements. having the luminators on the side really gives great side lighting for slow going. I have gone with non hid's on the top since I don't tie these to the high beam switch and use them mostly off road. This set up works great! As soon as SMA comes out with grill guard two 4000hid's will go there which will be switched into high beam switch. Have not decided yet on Cibie replacement or sylvania hid's with h1 high beam i want to hear some more input. I have replaced the bulbs on the factory lamps and don't waste your money the reflectors are so poor the high beam improvement even with 80/100 bulbs sucks.

SJ
12-16-2002, 05:44 PM
Tonka:

I like PIAA and Hella for FOG Lights. You can get a good set of Fogs for about $225.00!

Explorer Pro-Comp and Hella for Accentuated/Off-Road DRIVING Lights. Pair of these will run $70.00 to $150.00.

TonkaH2
12-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Their gallery is pretty awesome -anybody have these?

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order

ACR H2
12-16-2002, 11:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy:

Expect to pay $1300-1500 for a set.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com) sells them for about $585.69 each. click Here (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp%3FType%3Dbykeyword%2 6Part%3Dhella%204000%26Search.x%3D1%26SearchType%3 DBoth)

2003 Yellow H2 Lux

TonkaH2
12-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Let us know when ya do. . .

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

I remember my first Hummer
07-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Does anybody have an opinion on Warn's HID lights. It seems alot of people buy the Warn light bar, but they mount different lights on it. Is there a reason for this? I think they look cool, but don't know how they perform.