PDA

View Full Version : Test drove the H3 yesterday

Friguy
04-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Figured I would start my first post on the forum with a bang

Got a phone call from the local Hummer dealer 2 days ago telling me that they were going to have a H3 at the dealership for people to look at and test drive. So yesterday I decided to take a long lunch and make the short drive from my work to the dealership. Pulled in and there sitting out front was a white base model H3. After talking with the salesmen for a few minutes he handed my wife and I the keys and said lets take it for a test drive.

Right now I am driving a Z71 Avalanche so the first thing that I noticed is the amount of leg room that the H3 had. I was able to move the seat all the way back and the salesmen behing me still had plenty of room and I didnt feel cramped on the passenger or driver side of the H3.

Drive: I would guess the phrase "Its a truck" would sum it up best. The ride felt like a truck ride. You could feel the bumps in the pavement as you drove it but it was not a harsh ride. I guess I would say the ride was not as smooth as my Avalanche but to be honest it was still a very good ride. Road noise from what I could tell was very limited. We were not able to get the H3 up to highway speeds so the jury is still out on how it will be running 70 miles and hour down the interstate.

Performance: i will admit I was suprised on the performance of the engine. The acceleration was decent and when I pushed the pedal down it picked up rather nicely with a noticable increase in engine noise. I would say that it is not as good as my Avalanche but to be honest I would be willing to take an hit off the line to not take the hit at the gas pump. I think the H3 will be able to handle its way well in Dallas traffic and to be honest if it doesnt I am sure that there will be more then a few aftermarket options to address any short falls.

Interior: The H3 that I drove had cloth interior but the seats were comfortable. Anyone that has ever had a GM vehicle knows that the interiors look cheap and plastic. The H3 was a good suprise. Overall the quality was very good and the layout was very good. I only saw a couple of things that could be improved. in the rear of the H3 there are 2 doors. one is to the jack and the other was a storage bin. The latches to the doors felt very cheap overall, but to be honest it was a minor thing.

Overall I was very pleased with the H3 on the test drive. To the point that once it hits the market and I have a chance to drive a decked out version it will more then likely take the place of my Avalance in the garage.

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to post them. I will try to answer them

Friguy
04-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Figured I would start my first post on the forum with a bang

Got a phone call from the local Hummer dealer 2 days ago telling me that they were going to have a H3 at the dealership for people to look at and test drive. So yesterday I decided to take a long lunch and make the short drive from my work to the dealership. Pulled in and there sitting out front was a white base model H3. After talking with the salesmen for a few minutes he handed my wife and I the keys and said lets take it for a test drive.

Right now I am driving a Z71 Avalanche so the first thing that I noticed is the amount of leg room that the H3 had. I was able to move the seat all the way back and the salesmen behing me still had plenty of room and I didnt feel cramped on the passenger or driver side of the H3.

Drive: I would guess the phrase "Its a truck" would sum it up best. The ride felt like a truck ride. You could feel the bumps in the pavement as you drove it but it was not a harsh ride. I guess I would say the ride was not as smooth as my Avalanche but to be honest it was still a very good ride. Road noise from what I could tell was very limited. We were not able to get the H3 up to highway speeds so the jury is still out on how it will be running 70 miles and hour down the interstate.

Performance: i will admit I was suprised on the performance of the engine. The acceleration was decent and when I pushed the pedal down it picked up rather nicely with a noticable increase in engine noise. I would say that it is not as good as my Avalanche but to be honest I would be willing to take an hit off the line to not take the hit at the gas pump. I think the H3 will be able to handle its way well in Dallas traffic and to be honest if it doesnt I am sure that there will be more then a few aftermarket options to address any short falls.

Interior: The H3 that I drove had cloth interior but the seats were comfortable. Anyone that has ever had a GM vehicle knows that the interiors look cheap and plastic. The H3 was a good suprise. Overall the quality was very good and the layout was very good. I only saw a couple of things that could be improved. in the rear of the H3 there are 2 doors. one is to the jack and the other was a storage bin. The latches to the doors felt very cheap overall, but to be honest it was a minor thing.

Overall I was very pleased with the H3 on the test drive. To the point that once it hits the market and I have a chance to drive a decked out version it will more then likely take the place of my Avalance in the garage.

If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to post them. I will try to answer them

funpilot
04-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the excellent post. I am now off to my dealer to see if we can now settle on price.

usetosellhummer
04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
sat in one at our auto show in NM yesterday. I agree! for a big man I did fit fine in the front. the back seat for normal sized people is fine. I was very impressed with the truck and will buy one next year used. To do what the H2 can do it must be a truck so wanna be owners will still keep ther little unibody car like suv's. Hail HUMMER!