PDA

View Full Version : Extra Tie Rods

Skulz
11-19-2003, 03:41 PM
hi,
I'm looking to keep a few extra parts with me when off-roading and am looking for experiences with what "usually" breaks and how much you've paid for the extra parts. Tie rods are the most problematic parts that I've heard discussed when off-roading. I got some extimates from a dealer but they seemed very high and I'm not even sure if I'd need the entire assembly they recommended.

I was thinking about keeping 1-2 tie rods as spares, but I'm unsure about the actual part that people have damaged or needed repaired.

Any information or help will be much appreciated.

-Skulz

Skulz
11-19-2003, 03:41 PM
hi,
I'm looking to keep a few extra parts with me when off-roading and am looking for experiences with what "usually" breaks and how much you've paid for the extra parts. Tie rods are the most problematic parts that I've heard discussed when off-roading. I got some extimates from a dealer but they seemed very high and I'm not even sure if I'd need the entire assembly they recommended.

I was thinking about keeping 1-2 tie rods as spares, but I'm unsure about the actual part that people have damaged or needed repaired.

Any information or help will be much appreciated.

-Skulz

H2BIG
11-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Has anyone seen improved tie rods anywhere yet?

Brian
03 Pewter H2 Lux, Airaid filter/MIT, Corsa Touring

alecs wife
11-20-2003, 03:06 AM
Get inner tie-rods. They only cost about $30

The outer rod does not usually break and costs $60.

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

RonB
11-20-2003, 03:37 AM
R2,
how do you like the front locker...and which did you get, air or e-locker (is there an advantage to have one over the other?). After breaking a tie rod a month ago, and seeing video of my wheels bouncing/flexing in and out of alignment on tough climbs, I'm ready for the locker. Several here on the forum think that by over-riding the tcs, the locker will save your tie-rods.
I also find it hard to believe there aren't beefier tie-rods out there.

thanks in advance for any info

Ron B

alecs wife
11-20-2003, 11:51 AM
heavy duty tie-rods (http://www.unlimitedoffroad.com/page8.html)

Here is a link to some custom H2 tie-rods.
Big Bucks though$$$$$$$ I feel for the price that purchasing the GM replacements is probably more cost effective.

By the way: the inner tie-rod I bought is complete. No assembly required.

Thanks for the post. We do not use photoshop to enhance our images. The links on the wisconsin hummer owners web sight are genuin. I don't post my own pics because I have not purchased a camera yet..

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

alecs wife
11-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Ron B...
e-locker by Eaton.. love it.
I was doing some major rock crawling in Tennessee with the national club and only saw one guy break a tie-rod. Up to this date I have not broken a rod. I believe you should not force your truck into anything. Never force steer the wheels when lodged against something. That will certainly guarantee failure. Always roll your wheels before stearing.

Instead I always use BTM or CTM (continuous torque modulation ) CTM Works by keeping the RPM's at around 1,200 to 1,600 and allowing your truck to move forward by modulating the brake. This will give you perfect control in most conditions. The purpose of CTM is to prevent one wheel spin and allow your wheels to have a steady amount of torque. Be aware that if you ride your brake to hard and force the rpm's you run the risk of breaking a half-shaft. I know by experience!!!!!

You should find a spot where you can practice CTM and perfect it with your truck.

This is why the locker reduces the amount of CTM the driver has to execute. You will still use the same technique with a locker but not for the purpose of preventing single wheel spin. Just for the purpose of controlling your trucks forward momentum.

I could go further but, out of time.

R2

RonB
11-20-2003, 03:10 PM
thanks for the tips and info. Indeed I was a bit hard on the gas when the tie-rod bent -- Steve R. has spanked me for that (he has soft hands!). I can't blame the truck, but I do wish some things were beefed up a bit.

thanks again,
Ron B

alecs wife
11-20-2003, 03:24 PM
did you chec out the link of with the beefed up tie-rods

H2BIG
11-20-2003, 03:47 PM
R2 - Thanks for the link for HD tie rods - I'm also interested in their underbody armor. With the 37's, have you had any rubbing off road without a lift?

Brian
03 Pewter H2 Lux, Airaid filter/MIT, Corsa Touring

alecs wife
11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
part number inner tie-rod???

I have a call into the sevice center. Will post later.

Most off-road breakage is due to driver error. I have had my share.

R2

alecs wife
11-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Inner tie-rod part number
26059210...from the service center.

R2

DURAMAX TIM
11-21-2003, 11:31 AM
The cost of the HD tierods are $310 for the rods and $400 for liability insurance.
Others have stated them same problem w/ the tierods that the insurance will cost a lot and that is why some places aren't going to other them.

Why not put a steel tube over the outside of the stock inner rod to reinforce it, if the sleeve is tight against the nut or weld it to another nut so the inner end is free floating because of rubber boot, and stop the deflection that is causing them to break.

Alec if u have a tape measure and measure the old ones from the nut to the shoulder u could set the new one and mark them or wrap electrical tape around the threads so when u put them in the alignment will be real close.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04

Skulz
11-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all of the detailed replies. Those prices are easier to digest than the ones I was quoted. I'll have a look at the heavy duty rods as well.

I'll probably get at least one inner and maybe an assembly as I'm a newbie and driver errors are still common. @#)$(*) tree!

alecs wife
11-22-2003, 12:15 AM
On the GM direct websight, the price is even better!!!!!

R2

DURAMAX TIM
11-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Until u add shipping and handling $$$$$$$$$$.

Yell'r 04 Lux w/ air, sunroof,F&R brush bars
Traded 03 White Lux
03 GMC D/A CC SLT LB soon to be 04

unaslob
11-22-2003, 09:18 PM
i think the idea of beefer tire rods is a mistake..while GM went cheap with alot of different things... and this may be one of them, or it may be planned....it is a relatively easy fix, can be done in the field, and relatively inexpensive....if you put a stronger one on, or strengthen the factory one, you are looking at trouble I think, you are going to break something pretty expensive, and cant be repaired in the field, or even driven out....

one thing for sure, flatbeds out in the field are EXPENSIVE!!! and more importantly EMBARRASSING!!!

most tire rods are driver error. I have been fortunate, but it is only a matter of time.

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

Skulz
12-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I bought some inners from gmpartsdirect and then an entire assembly from bluehummer's page--few bucks cheaper than gmparts, but I'm not sure if it is a GM part or a repro.

-Skulz