PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Supercharger??

Dewi2005
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Whipple has a supercharger for the H2 and in black it costs $4495.00 This comes complete with the powerflash programer..

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1145

Any input on Whipple vs Magnacharger??

I want to put a supercharger on my H2 but want the best/right one for the job. Thanks!

Dewi2005
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Whipple has a supercharger for the H2 and in black it costs $4495.00 This comes complete with the powerflash programer..

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1145

Any input on Whipple vs Magnacharger??

I want to put a supercharger on my H2 but want the best/right one for the job. Thanks!

KenP
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Dewi, here's a link (http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=search&reqWords=whipple&use_forum_scope=on&forum_scope=6706011751) to a bunch of info on the Whipple.

In the comparison department, I think most would agree that the Magna is the best overall. You can get them for around $4600 and they come with eight NEW injectors. Not just one extra piggyback injector. The programming is also superior and if the dealer installs it you can get it covered under warranty.

shipbldr
10-19-2005, 08:05 PM
You really need to do some reading on the whipple... (I did and bought a Manga)

Focus on: Customer sevice, programming if you have accessories (i.e. exhaust mods), and customer happiness.

This post is a BIG HINT... but go do your own research and make your own call.

Dewi2005
10-19-2005, 08:58 PM
KenP, Where would I find a Magnacharger for $4600.00?? I hope you have some info as the ones I have been pricing are around $5200.00 for the satin finish.. Thanks for your help

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
10-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Dewi Magnacharger!!

TAZ

MSeeb
10-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Dewi: The Magnachargers are going to be a little more, but remember the ole saying:"You Get What You Pay For" Good luck on your decision.

shipbldr
10-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Here's where I bought mine.

As I recall it was also $4600....

http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_listing_MTV3...TopLev=superchargers (http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_listing_MTV3.asp?Fits_VehMake=Hummer&MfgID =MagnaCharger&CatTopLev=superchargers)

KenP
10-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Klaus paid that also.

Klaus
10-19-2005, 10:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Klaus paid that also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Close... I paid $4200 for the kit, $200 for the warranty, and $600 for the Hummer dealer to install it! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HGW
10-20-2005, 01:25 AM
The Whipple makes a better supercharger than Magnuson on paper. It is a twin screw vrs. a roots blower. The twin screw creates pressure (boost) inside the supercharger before entering the intake manifolds due to the design of their blower lobes.

This means the same boost at a lower exhaust temperature. It will produce more power for a longer time in the power band becasue it takes longer for the engine to get hot enough to reduce timing to compensate. High exhaust temps are also what kills a supercharged engine.

I discuss superchargers and turbochargers in detail in the next issue of Ultimate Hummers Magazine.

However, I use Magnuson----they have better service, better prgraming, and more reliabilty for a person who just wants to bolt it on and drive.

Hot dog drivers and shadetree mechanics can blow up a Magnuson or a Whipple in short order, especially when they modify boost without knowing what the hell they are doing.

More engine replacement business for HGW.

HGW
10-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Ken--find me that dealer who installs them and provides a real, no **** warranty.

H2 Bill
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
I have the Whipple and am really happy with the performance that I get. I do have custom programming as I purchased mine (one of the first for an H2) before Whipple figured out the torque management problems, etc., which I would image they have done by now. I have over 40,000 miles on the SC with no problems.

Dewi2005
10-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I in discussions with my dealer at this time, but they are quoting me $1100.00 for the install(with correct tuning). That really sounds steep as I have the install instructions and it does not appear to be THAT involved of an install.

Anyone have a confirmed price lower than the $1100.00 for the install... I know Klaus stated his install was only $600.00 that sounds more realistic. Thanks!

HGW
10-20-2005, 11:50 PM
$1100.00 for a Whipple install with the correct programing is about right. Please make sure they know what they are doing programing wise. Whipple has had enough problems of their own in that area. I say this not as a wise ass but in the interest in helping a forum member. And... how is the programing affected if you add headers, air intake, etc. at a later date?

Everyone can read the instructions and say it is easy---until they do not seal the SC correctly to the intake manifold, install the new fuel pump or supplemental pump, or try to mount the intercooler, etc. It is all easy if you know what you are doing--just time consuming.

Mechanics with a shop in the Northeast that are certified are $80.00 to $100.00 and hour.

Klaus got the deal of a lifetime and I am happy for him. He is a great guy and very helpful on here.

Klaus
10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
HGW is telling it like it is. I was lucky to get the install deal I did. However, remember I had it installed at the dealer where I bought my H2 in 2002, and I paid MSRP!

There were no employee pricing deals in 2002!

Dewi2005
10-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks again everyone... the knowledge on this forum is amazing!! I think my decision will be to do the Magna charger.. Moss Motors is offering the satin for $5149.00, but they also have free shipping and they will give a $750.00 credit for use in purchasing from their store. All said that would effectively lower the cost to $4399.00 I spend at least the $750.00 per year through Moss Motors, so that would be a good deal for me.

Thanks again for all your advice and knowledge.