Any advice on a brake upgrade for the H2 would be appreciated ~

Thanks !

cougar2
02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Any advice on a brake upgrade for the H2 would be appreciated ~

Thanks !

HGW
02-05-2005, 11:09 PM
I wrote an article for Ultimate Hummers Mag in their last edition on big brake upgrades.

There is a good bit of info in that article.

I used AP Racing, 6 piston calipers, two price 14" rotors, etc. I could not go with Brembo because they do not fit an 18" rim--you need to have a 20" rim for the Brembos to fit. Brembo is working with Weld Wheels to get a caliper to fit an 18 inch wheel--who knows if and when that will happen.

The AP brakes give a real firm pedal and also have decreased heat generated after multiple 40MPH to 20MPH stops--origional brakes were about 530 degrees F where the APs are less than 330 degrees F. This means less pedal fade and good brakes for a much longer time when towing or during frequent braking.

My 60 MPH to zero stopping distance did not improve and since I do not tow or make frequent stops, the brake upgrade did not answer the mail. I want to stop faster even with big wheels and tires.

I am working with the AP tech folks now to improve the 60MPH to zero. Pads on big brakes are critical and there are tons out there. I am working with them to find the proper compound to stop faster without sacrificing pad and rotor wear.

The are so many factors in chosing the right brake upgrade, it is important to do a lot of homework first.

I can send you some info on all the factors if you or anyone else sends me a PM--it is too much to post here.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-06-2005, 05:32 AM
No decrease in 60-0=no interest. I need a shorter stop distance...Maybe the change to 20's and Brembo is the answer?

HGW
02-06-2005, 12:29 PM
60MPH to zero is the way I measured my stopping distance in feet to verify IF I got shorter stops over stock brakes. I did not.

There is no data to support that the Brembos will give you a shorter stopping distance either.

My point is that you can spend a lot of money and not guarantee a shorter stopping distance.

CHarris
02-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Can you post your "before" stopping distance with stock brakes and the "after" with your upgrade. You did testing with the same wheel and tire package, right?

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-06-2005, 11:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HummersGoneWild:
60MPH to zero is the way I measured my stopping distance in feet to verify IF I got shorter stops over stock brakes. I did not.

There is no data to support that the Brembos will give you a shorter stopping distance either.

My point is that you can spend a lot of money and not guarantee a shorter stopping distance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanx for the info...I would have put $$$ on a shorter stop distance with either brakes, so Im glad I didnt take a bet/buy the brakes.

I do look forward to finding a set that does help slow the beast down...

Again,thans for the results...

HGW
02-08-2005, 02:20 AM
If memory serves me right, I stopped 60-0 in 156 feet. My notes are not here now.

With the new brakes, it was within a foot. Same evrything on the H2.

My H2 is close to 7K in weight.

The Brembos may actually do better--they will be tested on my next H2---in March.

When it comes to brakes, believe 1/2 of what the ad says and run your own data. No one has yet to pony up numbers, yet all ads say decreased stopping distances. It is a way to sell product--after all who actually goes on the road and runs tests???? The firmer pedal makes everyone believe they can stop faster in a panic stop situation.

The brake upgrades DO decrease heat and therefore longer lasting and better brakes when on hills, etc. I still want the panic stop time and distance to improve!

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-08-2005, 03:46 AM
You are so right. I have been building/racing cars for a while and have learned to do my own testing for results. Manufacuter data is always "best posted result" added in with a little journalistic liscense.

I call it "ricer math". You take the best numbers posted, add them together and put in 10% for good merit. Thats how the import boys get a chip,header,exhaust and throttle body mod list to add 48hp to a 180hp Honda.

FWIW, once I start the mad mod dash, my dyno sheets will be posted for all to view. Let the results lay where they may.

PhillyPhreak
02-09-2005, 12:58 AM
HGH....do you own\work at a shop that customizes cars/H2? I'm working in Princeton right now. I plan to have some work done on my new H2.

cougar2
02-09-2005, 01:19 AM
H.G.W. ,, thanks for the info. - just checked out your article ... very helpful !!! Thanks
ps. Hope you can make it in for the Hummer Club's "Howling Wolf" Mountain Run here at Penn's Cave, PA. next Fall (10/14-16/05) www.hummerclub.com (http://www.hummerclub.com)

HGW
02-09-2005, 02:01 AM
I will try and make it--remind me by PM please a few weeks before hand. Glad the article helped you!

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi John just so happen I had picked up the Ultimate Hummer mag with Your article on Magna Charger install. Very good job and informative.
Did You get My phone number? Give Me a call soon as You get a chance.

Thanks

TAZ (Rick)