PDA

View Full Version : New H2 rusty metal :(

Jati
08-17-2003, 09:51 PM
I just noticed that the metal framework behind the dash is untreated metal.... I have rust scale all over this framework. For any of you who haven't noticed; open the glove box and look to see if the welded and stamped metal frame is rusty on your H2. There is exposed "rusty" metal right beneath the drivers side dash also.
Did the assembly workers forget to paint this? Or did I just spend 50K+ for interior rust? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Jati
08-17-2003, 09:51 PM
I just noticed that the metal framework behind the dash is untreated metal.... I have rust scale all over this framework. For any of you who haven't noticed; open the glove box and look to see if the welded and stamped metal frame is rusty on your H2. There is exposed "rusty" metal right beneath the drivers side dash also.
Did the assembly workers forget to paint this? Or did I just spend 50K+ for interior rust? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Albie
08-18-2003, 01:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jati:
did I just spend 50K+ for interior rust? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don"t be silly Jati, you paid 50k for matching Exterior rust too. HEHEHEh

H2-USA
08-18-2003, 05:53 PM
You beat me to it................
While cleaning mine this weekend, I noticed the same thing, with the glove box open, you can see the bare metal with the beginnings of rust growth. Absolutely no attempt to coat it . Makes you want to tear into and finish the job properly...... I can imagine what one looks like in the colder (snow) regions. I have never owned a new vehicle that came off the show room floor with so much rust.
Still....., An Awesome Vehicle.

Buckeye Hummer
08-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Well for those of you that don't consider this a problem you might want to think about the effect it has on the H2 quality in general. If we as a group don't address this with our dealers GM will continue to leave the part untreated, which will eventually (many years) rust completely through. I spoke to my father about this (GM retiree from Fisher Body 33 yrs.). He said there is no way GM would put a part in the vehicle that would rust or not be protected and most likely the metalwork was contracted out to a smaller firm who didn't follow the specs given by GM. So, I took mine to Sherman Oaks today to do my part for GM's benefit, not mine because I only keep my cars 2 years anyway. They are fixing my rust problem. I am not sure how because I am still waiting for the phone call but they did say they would fix it. So, you paid 50k for your truck. Take it in and have the fix it. After enough of us complain, GM will have the part coated properly. If they don't know they can't fix it. I will keep everyone updated.

Albie
08-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey buckeye thought you did that a while ago. Anyways Let me know I want to take mine in to S_oaks too.

Buckeye Hummer
08-19-2003, 10:43 PM
No, I hadn't heard of this problem until yesterday. They still have my truck (looking into it). I am currently driving a Grand Prix to my dismay. I will definitely let you know when I hear from them.

Personally, I hope you take yours in. I think it is completely unacceptable (and within our warranty rights) to not have any rust on or in the truck. All they need to do is sand it and treat it and I'll be happy. Remember, I never keep my trucks more than 2 years so it's really not for my benefit, but rather, for GM's and other H2 owners. They need to get that part fixed asap for future H2's.

Buckeye Hummer
08-21-2003, 04:00 AM
For those interested I took my H2 to Sherman Oaks and they painted all of the rusty metal that holds up the dash. It looks a hell of alot better than see rust spots when you open the glove box. If anyone is interested I will post a pic of how it looks now but I must tell you I looked at several brand new h2's that all had rust in the glove box so not an isolated incident.

Albie
08-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah I saw the same thing when I went to the Texas truck show. Buckeye I will take my ride in after I take my X5 in. Bad break lights. Maybe its the luck of the draw but its a lemon.

Buckeye Hummer
08-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Albie,

Let me know what they say. They actually did a very nice job for me. They sanded and painted all of the metalwork inside the box. I think the guys name was John Layne. He is an older fellow that was incredibly helpful. You may want to ask for him.

Albie
08-21-2003, 08:22 PM
OK will done. Do you have any pics?

Buckeye Hummer
08-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Well, I don't know how helpful this pic will be because it's dark in there but it is a big difference. You don't notice the metalwork back there at all now because it blends into the background.

Albie
08-22-2003, 03:04 AM
I just checked mine an I didn't see anything. Hummm but my underbody is just covered.