PDA

View Full Version : Who here as done performance mods to their H2?

HMSH2
12-12-2002, 04:42 AM
I am looking to boost the performance of my H2 while still keeping it's off road capabilites. The Stage 2B package from Breathless Performance has sparked my interest, but I want to substitute the shorty headers for their long tube header system. Here is what is included in the package:

Stage kit 2B comes with:

Black box, Polished Coupler Tube and 2 Color Matched Induction Towers

Throttle Body

Coolant Bypass Tube

Computer Programming

MSD Wires

Beru Performance Spark Plugs

Choice of Bassani or Corsa Exhaust

Easy Bolt-on Shorty Headers

Any postives/negatives about these parts or anything to add regarding boosting performance?

Thanks.

Brian

HMSH2
12-12-2002, 04:42 AM
I am looking to boost the performance of my H2 while still keeping it's off road capabilites. The Stage 2B package from Breathless Performance has sparked my interest, but I want to substitute the shorty headers for their long tube header system. Here is what is included in the package:

Stage kit 2B comes with:

Black box, Polished Coupler Tube and 2 Color Matched Induction Towers

Throttle Body

Coolant Bypass Tube

Computer Programming

MSD Wires

Beru Performance Spark Plugs

Choice of Bassani or Corsa Exhaust

Easy Bolt-on Shorty Headers

Any postives/negatives about these parts or anything to add regarding boosting performance?

Thanks.

Brian

vette&h2
12-12-2002, 10:24 AM
The two colored induction towers are a waste of money. 1st of all the one on the drivers side is just for looks and the other is not much help. I have also heard that with this system you get alot of noise from under the hood. The xtreme flow package for the H2 looks to have the most benefits. The muffler by xtreme should give the the back pressure that the H2 needs which the other mufflers do not provide. Just my thoughts but you my want to look into the xtreme flow.

Here is the address: http://www.xtremeflow.com

Texas Red
12-12-2002, 12:16 PM
I suspect any change to the air intake will result in slightly more noise from the engine bay. You can try to make that a selling point by calling it a more throaty sound. Hehe!

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

HMSH2
12-12-2002, 04:56 PM
I understand the towers won't do much, but the rest of the intake looks pretty nice. Anyone with experience with any of the products they listed?

Thanks.

Brian

Big Z
12-13-2002, 01:51 PM
No Gain In MPG, but gained in performance. Not trying to sell Xtreme Flow, but it sure sounds good to! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HMSH2
12-13-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply BigZ. I was looking at the Xtremeflow and noticing that the exhaust system does not look like a full catback exhaust, but just a muffler back. Is this true? As for the air intake system, it looks as though it has a conical K&N type filter in place of the stock airbox, but no tube going to the throttle body. Is this true?

Thanks.

Brian

Big Z
12-13-2002, 04:20 PM
The K&N Filter replaces the stock filter in the original housing. You just need to locate and drill 4 holes to mount the K&N assembly, very easy. Can't answer your question on the catback exhaust/muffler design. This set-up works very well.

HMSH2
12-13-2002, 04:36 PM
As far as the catback exhaust question, does the system replace everything from the catalytic convertor back to the exhaust tip or just from the muffler to the exhaust tip? On a catback exhaust, the intermediate pipe between the muffler and cat is replaced with mandrel bent pipe to increase flow.

So, the air intake does not replace the tube from the filter to the throttle body?

Thanks for your help Big Z.

Brian

Big Z
12-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Air intake does not replace the tube. No, it is not a catback system, (just looked to make sure). /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

TonkaH2
12-14-2002, 10:11 PM
I wasn't paying attention, but I remember concern over running the engine at lower temperatures. Anybody hear what the verdict was? Red?

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"

mbanks21
04-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Granatelli MAF
Airforce 1 intake
Borla catback
Gibson headers
Hellwig sways
Granatelli Diablosport programmer

TheGoodHummerMan
04-27-2003, 04:04 PM
It looks like many of these cold air intake (CAI) systems feature an "open" box as compared to the closed type air box which comes with the H2's OEM air intake... Is this the main reason why the sound is "throatier"? I see that a "cold-air dam" is usually listed as being an important feature/component with CAI systems... But, doesn't the open air intake box freely allow the intake of hot air from the engine compartment, as compared to a closed air box which only pulls external air from through the right wheel well area?

Am I missing something, because it looks like even the highly praised Breathless system with the replacement "air towers" would be more likely to pull air from the area of the hot engine compartment than from the cool, air tower "scoops" ???

Based upon my unscientifically gathered information from reading various posts on this forum, it seems like the actual benefits from aftermarket CAI systems is not clearly evident? Maybe the cold air vs hot air intake --- is not so important? Or, more likely, I'm just missing something basic...

After doing some calculations it looks to me, based upon gas costing $1.56/gal and an average increase in mileage of 1.7 mpg --- that it would roughly take between 28,000 and 34,000 miles of driving to recoup the initial cost of a CAI system...

Has anyone heard when K&N will have their replacement filter element available for the stock H2 airbox???

Ed

Jim M
04-27-2003, 10:42 PM
I'm looking at getting the Borla cat-back exhaust and one of the intake systems. My requirement for the intake is that it must have some type of heat shield enclosure which most do. I also don't want to make it easy to suck up water.

Hey mbanks21, how long did it take to install the Borla exhaust, and where did you get it. The Borla setup is probably one of the pricier one's but I like the look and sound. And how much of a noticable power difference with your modifications?

To TheGoodHummerMan, count your blessings your paying 1.56 for gas. Here in LA, it's just dropped below $2.00. By my calculations it will take me 20K miles to recoup the investment, based on increased MPG but that's not why we buy this stuff.

Waiting for feedback from this forum, and I'm ordering everything this week. I'll report back with differences in power and MPG.

mbanks21
04-28-2003, 12:03 AM
It took about 2 1/2 hours to put the exhaust on, a friend of mine owns a shop and got me a great deal on it. I think it was like $1100 retail, I payed about $850. It sounds freakin mean as hell and I did feel a gain in power. It claims 15Hp and I wouldnt doubt it for a second.

Albie
04-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Can someone upload some pics of their mods

TheGoodHummerMan
04-28-2003, 04:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim M:
To TheGoodHummerMan, count your blessings your paying 1.56 for gas. Here in LA, it's just dropped below $2.00. By my calculations it will take me 20K miles to recoup the investment, based on increased MPG but that's not why we buy this stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason why I bought a K&N for my last vehicle's stock airbox was because it filtered much better and was also re-useable. I guess I'm not sure WHY anyone would buy a CAI system if it costs about $500 and yields minimal performance benefits.

If it is because of a "sexy" look, I can see that some people would go for that... but for me, it would have to be pretty darned "sexy" for $500. <grin>

kdio
04-28-2003, 02:34 PM
I have added several engine modification to my H2.

1. SMA airaid cold air intake
2. The Other Guys Headers
3. Flowmaster muffler made specificall for HD series trucks.
4. Proflash power programmer.
5. 180 degree thermostat

Each component added more power to my H2, but when you add all these components together the difference is quite a bit. I drove my friends stock H2 to compare it to mine, and I was amazed how better my H2 runs. As an added bonus, I also picked up 2.5 MPG.

Unfortunitely I drove a H2 with the Magnacharger and was blown away. The power was endless, so I will probably be going that route.

Kirk

H2 Bill
04-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I have the Whipple Supercharger, AirRaid intake, SMA Sport Exhaust and Edelbrock ceramic coated headers. Now it runs like it should have to begin with! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow, CLB, Window Commander, Euro Tail lights.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com (http://www.4swimwear.com)

ANGELO D.
04-29-2003, 03:28 PM
I WENT FOR THE TERMINATOR 550SC UPGRADE WHICH PUSHED MY H2 UP TO AROUND 550-580HP, CAMSHAFT UPGRADE, LONG TUBE HEADERS, PORTED POLISHED CYLINDER HEADS, MAGNUSON SUPERCHARGER ETC. MY H2 DID 0-60MPH IN 6 SECONDS, THE PERFORMANCE WAS GREAT, BUT TO BIG OF A LOAD ON MY TRANSMISION, WHICH LASTED ABOUT 2/DAYS BEFORE I FRIED 2ND AND 3RD GEAR. CURRENTLY I AM GOING THROUGH A VERY EXPENSIVE HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISION REBUILD. I HOPE THIS WILL BE THE LAST OF MY PROBLEMS. IF YOU GO FOR 500/HP OR MORE YOU BETTER BEEF UP YOUR TRANSMISION.

Hummer Man
04-29-2003, 05:29 PM
The performance mods just give the dealer something to blame warranty issues on later. No mods for me Thank You.

KenP
04-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Kdio, if you can hold out a week or so, my Lingenfelter H2 will be delivered from their shop. I will post pics and general impression as soon as I can. Check this out: http://www.lingenfelter.com/pac6ltmagschum.asp
I also added the Borla headers plus a couple of other mods are awaiting its arrival home.
Without the extras I have, one from TX ran a 14.5 1/4 mi.
The "OPTIONAL" trans upgrade is virtually mandatory. You MUST have it done.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

kdio
04-29-2003, 07:57 PM
KenP,
I looked into the Lingenfelter package, but I live in California and will not be able to pass smog inspection with their modifications. You should have a lot of fun though.
Kirk

Albie
04-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Yeah Hummer Man thats my biggest worry. I feel if I get a borla system at the deal, they can take care of the warn issue.

Grim_Smoker
04-29-2003, 09:01 PM
I've got the Breathless Stage 2B package on mine, plus they're HID's, and the billet Shifter Handle. I love the parts, I chose the Corsa Sport exhaust, and it's REALLY mean sounding. The HID's are great, really increase vision at night, and the billet shifter handle has a nice smooth solid feeling to it, can't get much better. I'll be lifting my H2, and most likely tossing on a Magna Charger, heads and cam, then its time for the sound system! Some people don't really like to mod they're vehicles, I'm deffinitly not one of those people. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Angelo D - Did you put in a new heavier torqe convertor yet? Breathless has one you should check out if you haven't.

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

H2 Daddy
08-04-2003, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mbanks21:
Granatelli MAF
Airforce 1 intake
Borla catback
Gibson headers
Hellwig sways
Granatelli Diablosport programmer[/QUOTE

mbanks21
How do you like your Gibson Headers? I just ordered a stainless set on Thursday. I wanted long tube headers, but the cost was triple the price and the install would have involved cuting and welding (more labor $$$). I didn't think there would be enough of a difference in performance to justify the cost.

DRTYFN
08-04-2003, 03:48 AM
Grim,
which HIDs did you get? and do they have High and low beams?

mbanks21
08-04-2003, 06:31 PM
I love em. Gibson overall is a great product. We have Gibson exhaust and headers on my wifes '98 Expy also. It gives it a little more "growl" soundwise and you can feel a little more "oomph" in the performance area. You ordered Gibson chrome plated headers? The SS ones arent that much more expensive

Grim_Smoker
08-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Drtyfn - I've got the Breathless HID's. It's a nice simple plug n' play system. Only low beam, there is no hi beam anymore. If you try to put them on the lights just turn off, but the hi beam isn't needed. 200% difference, and I couldn't be happier, everything is so much brighter and whiter. If I need a little more light I turn on the brush guard lights, if I need more I turn on the Piaa's up top.

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

H2 Daddy
08-04-2003, 11:04 PM
banks

I did get the stainless gibson's.

Today I was thinking about the stainless Vs. chrome choice. I always buy the best option available, but the problem is I don't keep my vehicles long. I think the longest I have had any vehicle is 3 1/2 years. So the chrome headers would have served their purpose just fine.

DRTYFN
08-06-2003, 01:34 PM
grim,
thanks for the info. i'm really waiting for some bi-xenons. i know that hids4less shows some pics, but have yet to hear any feedback.