PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom Navigation

crotch_rocket_pilot
04-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Question - What do you guys think of this system?

Also, has anyone tried mounting one of these portable systems to the brushed aluminum around the radio? It looks like there is possibly enough room to fit the suction cup base, and it would beat sticking it on the windshield (especially in the California sun). Besides sticking it on the windshield is just too far away for me.

If the Tom Tom system isnt any good, any other suggestions in the 800 and below price range? Thanks!

(By the way, Im back after a long hiatus, moved to California recently for a new job!)

Digital-Audiophile
04-19-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm using the Tom Tom Go 700. I really like it. It gives a few odd directions at times (ie. U-turns) but the directions and maps are really good and accurate.

I mount mine on the windshield and it is a little far away if you are trying to enter data while driving (but in the end really not a good idea anyways http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

I have not tried mounting it to the dash yet but I had read in a few reviews (while I was researching to buy it) that the suction is pretty powerfull and can damage your dash trying to get it off.

It was a toss up between the tomo tom and the garmin street pilot, and even though the garmin was a bit cheaper I decided to go with the Tom tom due to a better screen and features - and you can use bluetooth if that is your thing - not for me but good in the future I guess-

Hope that helps a bit? I can take pictures of how it looks set up and in use tomorrow if that would hekp you out.

Greg

H3wannabe
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I just bought a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 on eBay in "like new" condition for $350.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/screen_shot_images/935/90125935_001.jpg

It works well and updates quickly. The voice announcements for upcoming turns (in 1 mile, then again in 500 ft) is awesome. I also like the remote control that allows you to program it "from a distance."

H3wannabe

Steve - SanJose
04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
H3 Wannabe - Nice Garmin nav setup. Is it permanantly installed in your rig?

S.

H3wannabe
04-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Steve - SanJose:
H3 Wannabe - Nice Garmin nav setup. Is it permanantly installed in your rig?

S.

No, I was using the hard base with it...but the H3 dash covering is hard to get things to stick to so I am using the bean bag base that comes with the unit at the moment. I need to pick up some "more aggressive" silicon to re-mount the hard base to the dash tonight. Both bases are cool, they "unlock" from the unit so that you can switch the system between vehicles. The bean bag base works well, but I like the cleaner look of the hard base better.

H3wannabe