PDA

View Full Version : H2 Exhaust Systems

Tom
12-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Wondering what aftermarket exhaust systems are available for the H2? Which one is considered the most popular and if you had one installed, are you satisied with it?

Tom
12-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Wondering what aftermarket exhaust systems are available for the H2? Which one is considered the most popular and if you had one installed, are you satisied with it?

m998
12-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Waiting for Borla to finish their's. It looks great (stainless, no cutting/welding).
90% that I will use Air Force 1 intake.
Should make for make for some heavy breathing.

vette&h2
12-04-2002, 04:48 PM
I have a H2 Sport Exhaust System from SMA for sale if anyone is interested. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NSXTC
12-04-2002, 05:04 PM
Why are you selling the SMA Exhaust?

vette&h2
12-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Decided to go back to stock exhaust. Need the money for Christmas. Had a few unexpected problems (costs) around the house. Washing machine and heat pump died.

The exhaust only took about 30 minutes to install. It only has about 2000 miles on it. It is manufactured by B&B. Nice deep throaty sound.

JCJ
12-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Is the exhaust-end of the SMA sport exhaust visible when standing behind the Hummer? The end of the stock exhaust isn't. Having to do off course with ground/water clearance.

vette&h2
12-04-2002, 06:24 PM
not the sma is not visible from the exterior of the h2. It ends at almost the same place as the stock.

ktower_heels
12-04-2002, 07:20 PM
Check out www.breathlessperformance.com (http://www.breathlessperformance.com) they have a few options there that may be of interest to you.

NSXTC
12-04-2002, 07:23 PM
I'm interested. Please email me for pricing info.

nsxtc@yahoo.com

Thanks.

vette&h2
12-04-2002, 09:33 PM
Asking $700.00 + shipping

Steve R
12-05-2002, 05:26 AM
Here is what I found out: I went to my local exhaust performance shop looking to blow some coin on a new exhuast system. The owner of the shop told me that they had already played with the H2 exhaust and actually found that the stock exhaust remarkably offered a mere 1/4 pound of back-pressure...which is almost nothing!

While this guy makes his living selling and installing these systems, he looked me in the eyes and told me to save my money; Aside from a deeper and more throaty sound, there would likely be virtually NO IMPROVMENT in fuel efficiecy or horsepower on account of the stock system already being extremely efficient.

While some manufacturers make claims and say they can support them with test data, I remain skeptical. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Texas Red
12-05-2002, 11:30 AM
Steve,
Did this guy have any opinion on potential improvement with Intake kits???

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Steve R
12-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Sorry Jim....the owner of the shop was all about performance exhaust and did not offer any info on intake modification. I frankly think GM wouldn't choke down their intake such that it would seriously inhibit the ability of the engine to a degree that would compromise performance.

The intake is all about two things: filtering the air such that abrasive and damaging debris not be allowed into the intake AND reducing the noise coming from that end of the engine.

Believe it or not, you'll notice a 'horn' or extension hovering just over the fan...this plastic-extruded cavity (tied to the intake) is solely there for the purpose of noise-reduction.

As far as air filtration, I've been offroading and believe me...there's lots of dust and stuff that you really want to keep out of your engine. The filter box has a large filter. I suppose an aftermarket filter could offer improved flow, but you'd think that must mean a less discriminating filter...which ideally would mean less fine a media. I'd choose engine longevity over a few horsepower any day. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Many of these aftermarket kits also use "cool air" which should also help for several reasons. Reasons that in theory make sense...but in practice...who knows. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It's a toss-up. I put my faith in the engineers who manufacture the beast. I realize it's fun to modify and play with customizing our new toys, but I remain entirely skeptical...probably cause my racquetball-buddy used to own a performance shop and he told me most the bolt-on hop-ups are BS. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

The H2 isn't about being fast or fuel-efficient....why mess with the dynamic. By the way...if you retract your side-view mirrors inwards when on the freeway, you'll pick up 35 more horsepower AND increase your mileage 4 mpg!

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

m998
12-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Your right Steve, DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR!!! I retract my mirrors and I only get 28 additional HP and 3.4 MPG.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Steve R
12-07-2002, 02:49 AM
you probably forgot to lower the two antennas on top of the roof! that'll get ya every time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JCJ
12-08-2002, 06:20 PM
But shouldn't you have at least the driver's side mirror extended while driving, according to regulations? Just nitpicking, allright.
Hmmm, suggestion to manufacturer: Have separate swithes to fold in/out each side mirror.

Steve R
12-09-2002, 02:30 AM
JCJ.....please tell me you are aware that we're joking around?

JJ
12-09-2002, 02:52 AM
Steve R - You were joking? No wonder the dealer seemed a bit perplexed as he took my money after I insisted on the retractable antenna option....

too much fun tonight...

JJ

Steve R
12-09-2002, 04:32 AM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JCJ
12-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Aren't we all?

Big Z
12-09-2002, 02:50 PM
I've had the xtreame exhaust & cold air intake installed for about a month now. I have not gained better MPG, but have noticed better performance. Sounds very good also!