PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Predater tuner

AZhummer
01-07-2004, 01:25 AM
I have been asked if it is better to get a Super chip or use the diablo for the H2 tune. The Diablo is more then just a tuner, it can show real time data for knock retard, the four 02 senors in milivolts as well as 20 other specs as the car is running. It alows you to modify the tune it installs for timing, trans management including removing the dreaded torque management system, shift points, pressure and time. etc. It alows you to clear fault codes as well. There is a much more complexe system called the LS1 tuning that is a program that goes into your laptop and interfaces to your rig via a db25. That is like the system I used to build the map for my Suzuki Hayabusa ( bike Gsxr 1300). It is made by Yoshimura, as is the engine management system. We put the bike on the Dyno and found the best F/A mixture my engine liked for power, we then built a map cell by cell ( rpm vs throttle setting ) for the entire rpm range. 183 rear wheel hp 107 ft lbs of tq. 440 lbs of bike, you want to go fast, I got the machine. It is an interesting fealing driving it on the street knowing that you are the fastest thing on the road. My point is that these devices ( tuning systems ) work and they work great with a general understanding of what does what ( timing vs fuel etc. ). Not to digress, but a super charger might be too much for the drive train. 7000 lbs is a lot of weight to get moving. Modest upgrades like the full air system ( intake, headers, exhaust ) along with the correct tune will ensure drivetrain longevity as well as seat of the pants joy. When you need to pass or climb a hill the response is great. Yet you will get home for another day of fun. A roots style SC puts the power to the tranny instantly, a centrifigal sc builds slowly allowing the 7k lbs to get on the move before it toasts the drive train. I know there are some people on this board that will argue that point, but in there hearts they know the truth. I love this stuff. I can show some bike pics if someone wants to see the beast.

03 H2

AZhummer
01-07-2004, 01:25 AM
I have been asked if it is better to get a Super chip or use the diablo for the H2 tune. The Diablo is more then just a tuner, it can show real time data for knock retard, the four 02 senors in milivolts as well as 20 other specs as the car is running. It alows you to modify the tune it installs for timing, trans management including removing the dreaded torque management system, shift points, pressure and time. etc. It alows you to clear fault codes as well. There is a much more complexe system called the LS1 tuning that is a program that goes into your laptop and interfaces to your rig via a db25. That is like the system I used to build the map for my Suzuki Hayabusa ( bike Gsxr 1300). It is made by Yoshimura, as is the engine management system. We put the bike on the Dyno and found the best F/A mixture my engine liked for power, we then built a map cell by cell ( rpm vs throttle setting ) for the entire rpm range. 183 rear wheel hp 107 ft lbs of tq. 440 lbs of bike, you want to go fast, I got the machine. It is an interesting fealing driving it on the street knowing that you are the fastest thing on the road. My point is that these devices ( tuning systems ) work and they work great with a general understanding of what does what ( timing vs fuel etc. ). Not to digress, but a super charger might be too much for the drive train. 7000 lbs is a lot of weight to get moving. Modest upgrades like the full air system ( intake, headers, exhaust ) along with the correct tune will ensure drivetrain longevity as well as seat of the pants joy. When you need to pass or climb a hill the response is great. Yet you will get home for another day of fun. A roots style SC puts the power to the tranny instantly, a centrifigal sc builds slowly allowing the 7k lbs to get on the move before it toasts the drive train. I know there are some people on this board that will argue that point, but in there hearts they know the truth. I love this stuff. I can show some bike pics if someone wants to see the beast.

03 H2

H2BIG
01-07-2004, 02:07 AM
AZhummer - thanks for the info. I noticed on another thread your Rod Hall shocks. How do you like? - I'm thinking of getting some also. Do you have any other suspension upgrades (panhard rods, trailing rods)? Do you have stock air suspension or coils? Just curious.

Brian
03 Pewter H2 Lux, Sunroof, Airaid filter/MIT, Nology Wires, Corsa Touring

AZhummer
01-07-2004, 04:14 AM
H2big, they are great, They are like a second set of sway bars on road and off road they have great rebound and compression rates. I also installed poly bushings on the front and rear sway bars. I enjoy coming up on a sports car on the freeway in the twisties and flash my brights for him to get out of my way. You should see there faces when I zip by them and leave them in the dust. On the other hand I don't want to hurt the off road flexability of the suspension by making it too stiff. Those pan and trailing rods just might do that. I will get the poop on the pan and trailing rods in the near future, I have a contact at the dealer that tells me the truth. HAHA. will keep you posted.

03 H2

Hundingah
01-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Dude,

If your 'Busa is checking in at 440 lbs. you have the most anorexic 'Busa ever made! I've got one parked in the garage and that thing with fluids and gas is easily pushing 550 lbs. Suzuki even claims a 'Dry Weight' of 478 lbs. directly on their web site. Add some coolant, oil, clutch and brake fluid and 5 gallons of gas and you're easily in the 540-550 range.

Bad Dawg
01-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info on the Diablo AZh. The Diablo sounds like the top of the line thing alright, but it also sounds like it does much more than most folks can handle...is it? To be able to take advantage of all the features does a person need to be a certified technician or does it come with clear enough directions that backyard mechanics can understand it?

Has anyone out there got any experiance with the Superchip product? It sounds good on their website but.....

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

AZhummer
01-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Hunding you are correct, 440 lbs dry, I have dropped 37 lbs from the beast with the Akropivac pipe, RC wheels, Wave rotors, New rear sets, Vortex sprockets, regina chain, bar end mirrors, Pair air sucker mod etc. etc.
Used a scale before and after. So with fluids 512 lbs. Thanks for the heads up. Want to race? Ha Btw the yosh busa is 375 lbs dry, you can do it but at great exspense.

03 H2

Hundingah
01-09-2004, 02:54 AM
I'd be more than happy to roll out the 'Busa for a little jaunt but I'm in the middle of a turbo install...put the entire project on hold for a move to Denver and waiting for the NLR Gen X kit to be done...450 on pump gas holds a certain appeal. Check out Nick Slick's bike on SuzukiHayabusa.org...he's got the full carbon bodywork kit and some other goodies (full Ohlins, Marvics, etc.) - he's shed some serious weight but he's also all about corner carving.

The Predator is also a pretty decent piece...I've got one for my Lightning and it allows you to check and clear codes, datalog and I can get custom tunes done and modify them myself if I need to (the only downside is a +/- 10% change on both the timing and fuel tables - at least for the Lightnings. The A/F allows for about a full point change but the timing only allows for 2 degrees or so either way - Diablo did this to keep too many Lightning clowns from turning their trucks into a smoking pile). Other than that it's great and the datalog feature is awesome and along with a good wideband will allow me to fully monitor and tune my truck. I would assume the Predator for the Hummer is similar...

AZhummer
01-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Hunding, he does have a great bike, I forgot to mention I too have the Ollins rear and race tech front, lowered the forks a few mill and love to carve the corners as well. I hvae two friends here with turbos, Gary has a red one and he has a website and another guy ( forgot his name) They make big power. Have fun,
Randy

03 H2

Hundingah
01-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Ohlins....mmmm! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AZhummer
01-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Spelling is terrible. You are a good teacher.
I will post a picture of the beast tonight.

03 H2