PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the AV folks! :)

VTSTOMPER
11-20-2005, 05:19 PM
here is the 411:

I have the visilogic system that GM tossed into their H2's during the promo. I want to toss in my PS2 or Xbox both in there so people can play.

hopes:

Play PS2 on one screen and watch a movie on the other OR play PS2 on both screens - even screen to screen for two plater modes.

Then I want to be able to take the PS2 out and ad the Xbox if I want - probably can even have them both mounted with a switch. Same thing - I want to have all the combos. Movies on both screens, or one screen. Games on both screens, or on one screen.

The visilogic has the wireless headphones too...and they seem to have two channels. I am not sure of the DVD system has AV jacks (RCA) on the back or not. It does have an input jack on the front, but it looks to be a small headphone style jack.

Let me know your thoughts - thanks in advance! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VTSTOMPER
11-20-2005, 05:19 PM
here is the 411:

I have the visilogic system that GM tossed into their H2's during the promo. I want to toss in my PS2 or Xbox both in there so people can play.

hopes:

Play PS2 on one screen and watch a movie on the other OR play PS2 on both screens - even screen to screen for two plater modes.

Then I want to be able to take the PS2 out and ad the Xbox if I want - probably can even have them both mounted with a switch. Same thing - I want to have all the combos. Movies on both screens, or one screen. Games on both screens, or on one screen.

The visilogic has the wireless headphones too...and they seem to have two channels. I am not sure of the DVD system has AV jacks (RCA) on the back or not. It does have an input jack on the front, but it looks to be a small headphone style jack.

Let me know your thoughts - thanks in advance! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kodiakz
11-20-2005, 05:51 PM
If your dvd is mounted in the center console as I believe all the promo systems were, then pull off the back of the center console and you shold find the control box for the Viz. One of the pigtails coming from that box is 'AV2IN', just stub out a 3 way cable and use that for your ps2/xbox. On each of the screens is a source button--use that to switch between the dvd or ps2. The headphones have 2 ir channels so that headrest 1 can watch/listen to something different than headrest 2 and not interfere with each other. You will be able to switch to either source (dvd or ps2) on either screen at any time you want. Note that the sound from the ps2 will only be broadcast over the headphones and not fed to the radio.

VTSTOMPER
11-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Very trick! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That is what I am going to do then! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mine is mounted in the center console! When I pull off the back, you mean where the stock settings and things are right? for rear heated seats and stuff?

I just have my PS2 kicking around collecting dust - and I am sure the 'modded' Xbox will soon too. I will get the 360 in the house, and then maybe move it to the truck on trips and what not.

VTSTOMPER
11-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Also, what should I get for a power inverter? Anyone have one they like?

kodiakz
11-20-2005, 09:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted 11-20-05 12:22 PM
Very trick! That is what I am going to do then!

Mine is mounted in the center console! When I pull off the back, you mean where the stock settings and things are right? for rear heated seats and stuff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, exactly. When you pull off that rear panel, you should see the av control box and the extra inputs on a pigtail. You should get a 350 watt power inverter.

VTSTOMPER
11-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Sure...I will take a pic tomorrow.

The DVD is in the center console with a small mounting bracket. +: you get a spot to put your DVD player. -: you lose space for your CDs or DVDs...lucky for me I typically only have what it is the deck and the DVD players.

kodiakz
11-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Humm This, just keep in mind that the promo unit that came with the dealer installed Viz systems is a smaller dvd player and I have yet to come accross any other units that would fit in the bracket as it does.

VTSTOMPER
11-21-2005, 01:50 AM
That is going to be tough to fit in there...even the small slim line. Unless you trim the plastic ...there might be some wasted space in there, but I don't know. I will get you some pics.

VTSTOMPER
11-21-2005, 02:13 AM
ahha...elcustom! very kewl! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kodiakz
11-21-2005, 02:32 AM
Humm This, if you have removed the Bose amp you could probably do it with some work. You would need to blow apart the ps2 so that the dvd-rom drive could face rearward. Then you could cut a custom little acccess slot in the storage cubby in that rear panel below the controls. If you still have the blows amp, you will need to think about doing it elsewhere as there just won't be room there. You could take out the onstar control and try to do something there.

rocketw19
11-21-2005, 03:48 AM
your sub box looks verry nice. i also like the idea of the ps2 in the center counsel i was thinkin of puttin one in the center arm rest in the back. i have a sut.

kodiakz
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
That's some nice fiberglass work!!! You should DEFINITELY be running a high current alt to run 8 subs.

VTSTOMPER
11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
HT:

Console (http://bikes.ruin.org/images/console2.jpg)

VTSTOMPER
11-25-2005, 02:29 PM
what brand of power inverter would you guys use? I will probably go with something over the needed power.

kodiakz
11-25-2005, 02:47 PM
They all seem to be the same. Don't get one that is too big or it will require direct wire to the battery for its power source.

shipbldr
11-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Install a 1000-1200 watt inverter...

Its big enough to run ANY power tool or even some microwaves...

The cost difference between a 1000-1200 wat inverter is about $40 or half a tank of gas.

$50 of welding cable will install it anywhere in the truck...

The first time you use it to run a needed power tool... or recharge a video camera battery you'll probably consider it paid for.

I used a Xantrex... however some of the "off-brands" are very good.

I agree that you don't need a top of the line inverter (pure sine wave)... but be careful about the "maximum cheapness" ones... just make sure you can return it if you get hissing in your electronics or your transformers overheat.

Beyond that... get it. You will love it! We use our constantly!! Its some of the best money we've spent on the H2.

Running the welding cable from the battery to the inverter under the back seat took about 2 hours.

No big deal.

VTSTOMPER
11-25-2005, 05:11 PM
I am going to need some extended batt terminals, I bet.

Where did you come into the cab of the truck for the batt cable? I think I would rather not do it this way.

If I tap into 12v some where else - where would be a good spot in the back seat area?

ree
11-26-2005, 02:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
I am going to need some extended batt terminals, I bet.

Where did you come into the cab of the truck for the batt cable? I think I would rather not do it this way.

If I tap into 12v some where else - where would be a good spot in the back seat area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VT, resist the urge to hookup the inverter anywhere other than the battery terminals. Unless you have a high-end, sine wave inverter, then for the inverter to do it's job and produce clean AC power, you want as little resistance and variability on the lines feeding it the DC power. So big cable direct to power source is the way to go to minimize resistance and variability in the power source.

Plus, if you go with something like a 1000W inverter, you'll want your wires fused with ~150A fuse. Otherwise, you can't take advantage of the higher wattage without blowing the fuses on the lighter upstream wires (kodiakz points this out above). So there's not going to be any existing wiring in the cabin to tap into.

VTSTOMPER
11-26-2005, 02:56 AM
very good to know!

I will go to the batt - where did you enter the cabin? The front gromet, and then run it back under all the goodies?

You guys really are a big help! Thank you all very much! I am not going to have a chance to do this 'til spring anyway...damn winter weather. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ree
11-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Sorry, I don't yet know the routing question. I was originally going to run cable to the back along the door sills and had the same question...where to go through firewall to get from batter to the door sills. I've been too lazy to explore this yet.

Besides, I've decide to take a different approach and run cable along the frame rails to a battery mounted up in the back and come in off the rear mounted battery over the wheel wells. This is a project that I'm planning on before Christmas once I get some other crap off my plate.

I'm installing lights in the next week or so and plan to drill through the edge of "the grommet" to do my switches. If I see a good answer to this question, I'll let you know.

Charles, and many others, probably know where to poke through. I believe he ran the sills. I just don't know where he went through the firewall.

VTSTOMPER
11-26-2005, 03:05 AM
I went through the grommet when I put the Hella's on the brush guard. The crapper was I ended up pushing the whole grommet out when I was trying to puncture it...what a PITA to get it back in the right place. I do not think it is 100% on the inside, it is on the outside, and I sealed it with RTV.

All and all the rest of it was simple.

shipbldr
11-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Running the cable is SOOO EASY you are going to be shocked!

Get under the dash and look above the gas pedal. There is a square of sheet metal (mine's white and I think it is matched to your body coler -the truck, not you). The square measures about 4" x 4".

Pick up a drill and pur a 1/2 or larger hol through it. (Mine needed a 5/8 for the cable).

Run cable through hole, fuse, and grommet or seal with silicon glue (or both).

Get the fuse at an RV dealer (150A) and pay 1/3 the cost of the same fuse at a marine store.

Next pull out the door sill trim from both doors on the driver side. Run the cable under the fron edge of the carpet to the door sill, through the door sill, under the b-piller (use coat hanger and tape to snake, under door sill, and then to where you mounted the inverter under the back seat.

Leave message if you need to know how to mount the inverter.

I also installed battery terminal covers over my terminal lugs on the back of the inverter to avoid "surprise" contact with the hot lead.

Great questions... keep um coming...

HGW
11-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Nice work.

VTSTOMPER
11-26-2005, 03:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
Running the cable is SOOO EASY you are going to be shocked! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you toss a pic up of it when you get a chance...I am kind of a visual learner! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also - do tell on the mounting of the inverter! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You da man! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

shipbldr
11-26-2005, 03:33 AM
I'll get you pictures but it's going to have to wait for daylight...

Hong is calling...

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VTSTOMPER
11-26-2005, 03:38 AM
cool! Thank you very much!