PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have pics of Air Horn Install?

JMV1210
04-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Does anyone have pics of Air Horn Install?

If so can you post them:

I just bought the Real Wheels Air Horn and Compressor. I have directions, but would feel better seeing some pics of anyone who has installed one of these, especially of the wiring.

Thanks
Joe

JMV1210

If so can you post them:

I just bought the Real Wheels Air Horn and Compressor. I have directions, but would feel better seeing some pics of anyone who has installed one of these, especially of the wiring.

Thanks
Joe

JMV1210

If so can you post them:

Thanks
Joe

frank6150
04-15-2004, 08:28 PM
I have one, I can get you a pic right now but I am at work and the camera here blows ass. Gimmie a couple minutes.

JMV1210
04-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks Frank, any pics would be great! I amnot sure which or where the wires are that I need to tap into.
Joe

frank6150
04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Ok here you go. The install is very easy, just 2 important things to remember.

1. Check that the wires are secure on the air horn (mine fell off) and if loose just crimp them a little.

2. Make sure when you put the cutout on the firewall to mark your hole to drill you triple check that the placement will be exact.

As far as wiring it up goes that is a breeze if you want it to run when you push your horn button. Red wire goes to your battery +, and the black wire gets routed to the factory horn and spliced in with the green horn wire.

frank6150
04-15-2004, 08:53 PM

Texas Red
04-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Nice install. So, if I may ask, what's the brand and price for that airhorn setup? Does the mounting to the firewall use sheetmetal screws? Hopefully you don't have to get access to the other side.

Jim
Alias Texas Red

frank6150
04-16-2004, 06:22 PM
It is the Real Wheels airhorn, I think it is around $360.00 or something like that.

The 2 bolts that hold the hood latch on are used for one side of the mounting bracket and you have to drill a hole on the other side and use one of those things that acts like a nut if you can't get to the back of something. Not a clue what it is called, but you don't have to get behind the firewall.

JMV1210
04-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks Frank. I have it all hooked up! Man that Air horn is loud! I didn’t expect it to be so loud. Sounds like a train horn! I hit that three times and I had the neighbor complaining already. I wired it directly without a toggle switch. I think I am going got have a toggle switch wired up. In case I need to use the horn and there is a cop near by. If a cop hears that I think I will be asked to open the hood….
Joe

KenP
04-17-2004, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, as much as I want a REAL LOUD horn up on the rack, I think I want one of those. How long did the install take? Sounds like it is quick and painless.

But what about running it separately? What does that look like? How hard does that appear?

frank6150
04-17-2004, 02:32 AM
Only hard part to that would be to find a way through the firewall. I never bothered looking as I liked just having it hooked up to the factory horn. If you go that route it is very painless and probably 30 - 45 minutes. I have sizzly battery fear so it takes me a little longer to do things.

KenP
04-17-2004, 02:40 AM
I am unaware of any law in VA against having an air horn. I am going to have to do some due diligence here.

I understand sizzly battery fear. I also understand creepy crawly fears. But mostly of the 8 legged variety. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Gives me the willies thinking about them.

KenP
04-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Oh, Frank, do they have a deep sound, or are they high pitched like a girl? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Spike
04-17-2004, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>originally posted by Frank,
I have sizzly battery fear so it takes me a little longer to do things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Frank, what is sizzly battery fear? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

frank6150
04-19-2004, 12:23 AM
When you go to hook the terminal up again and the little bastard starts sizzling and sparking. I hate that!

Ken, it isn't the deepest horn I have heard but you would not be disappointed in the least.

JMV1210
04-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Frank,
When my H2 sits, I can hear the compressor “pumping” up from time to time. I have it hooked up direct without an on/off switch. Do you experience the same thing with your compressor? I understand it needs to “pump up” after some use of the air horn, but otherwise, I wouldn’t think it would it would need to unless there is a leak.

Thoughts?

ChuckE
12-11-2004, 12:38 AM
I bought the type of air horn that requires its own, on demand, air compressor. I know, many of you guys have the really loud and really great, air tank type of air horns, but I really didn't want the difficulty and expense of all that.

Any way, these horns had their own difficulty of mounting, since there are 3 air horns. Where to mount them to keep them safe from high engine heat, and not be in the way, yet still be unrestricted so that the sound would have maximum effect.

I finally found a position right behind the grill that is just about invisible from the outside but still so close to the front as to get the maximum loudness from them. Here is a picture. I found that the compressor fits very neatly under a horizontal brace, and that way the tubing to each horn is relatively short.

This picture is with the hood open. I am on the drivers side of the vehicle and looking down into the back side of the grill. Two of the horns, the ones mounted vertically, are directly behind the "M's" in the HUMMER name in the grill, so you can't see those from the outside at all. The 3rd horn, being longer, had to be mounted on a slant, and thus, from the outside, you can see about 1 inch of the horn trumpet. But it is really not noticable from the outside - unless someone pointed it out to you.

H2Finally
12-11-2004, 03:27 AM
ChuckE, I can appreciate your creativity. You can always spray paint the visible part black to make it "disappear".

If you get this in time, many of the SoCal boys are running Azusa tomorrow. Link: http://h2club.org/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=8296099471&f=8756030324&m=191103728

unaslob
12-11-2004, 11:38 AM
might I offer a suggestion. I feel the lanyard valve is the best way to control the horn. the push buttons do not allow you to control the volume (by that I mean the mass) of air you supply to the horn. with my lanyard valve, it is very easy to give very short lower volume toots. for when I pass kids on the street and they are waving or something (something that happens fairly often) or when I see someone I know. when I want to unleash fury, I pull down hard. plus the lanyard give you that extra added trucker feel to it. push buttons are for suckers.

unaslob

unaslob
12-11-2004, 11:57 AM
i also beleive on an outside mount.. looks sweet. in the winter you need the covers because snow will get in there and render them useless.

una

unaslob
12-11-2004, 11:59 AM
close-up

unaslob