PDA

View Full Version : Key Stuck

Bad Dawg
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Has anyone had their key stick in the ignition? Both my key and my wife's keys have gotten stuck. We have tried turning it back and forth, starting the engine again, etc, etc. They eventually came out for some reason. The last time I tapped on the steering column and it seemed to release it. I realize it's cold out but I don't think that is it.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

Bad Dawg
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Has anyone had their key stick in the ignition? Both my key and my wife's keys have gotten stuck. We have tried turning it back and forth, starting the engine again, etc, etc. They eventually came out for some reason. The last time I tapped on the steering column and it seemed to release it. I realize it's cold out but I don't think that is it.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

prplprowlr
01-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes, mine had done it for a week 2 weeks ago and my shifter was sticking as well on the days it was below freezing, now the weather has gotten close to normal I have not had any problems? What I had to do was turn my key forward then back to get it to release from the ignition.

KenP
01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I had the same problem, but it seems to have fixed itself. But it is on my mind now so it will definitely get stuck again.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

Detonate
01-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Happened on my 97 GMC Sierra, weiredest thing. Spent 5 hours in a Diamond Shamrock Parking lot with a Locksmith. Finally we just drilled the lock, and replaced the ignition.

------------------------------
North Texas Hummer Team Member
http://www.redreefscuba.com/hummer/ht.jpg (http://www.hummerteam.com/)
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.

HUMTECH
01-16-2004, 03:51 AM
seen this problem a few times it's likely your btsi switch on the shifter assembly, can't get just the switch have to replace shifter as an assembly. also check for broken wires to the btsi switch (4 wire connector on right side of shifter assembly).

Bad Dawg
01-16-2004, 01:52 PM
So far it's just been my key and not the shifter. What's a btsi switch? I need to take it in to the dealer for the oil change coming up. I'll mention it to them then.

Bad Dawg
02-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Dealer said it was the switch on the shifter. There has been a recall of some sort on them. My guess is that they only fix it if someone has a problem. The parts are in, so I guess I will get back in to have it fixed. Got a new sunroof seal too. The trim that covers up the headliner edge around the sunroof wasn't going over far enough. A raw edge of the headliner was exposed. Sure hope the new trim covers it.