PDA

View Full Version : Wiring an aftermarket amplifier question?

TouchdownTN
05-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Anyone done this and have any tips to make it easier. I know I should disconnect the battery before running my 12V line. Will this do any damage to the H2 by disconnecting the battery. If so, is there a work around that I should be aware of. Also where is a good ground or could I just tie into the factory ground on the stereo harness? Sorry for all the questions but I am a little green at messing with the electrical wiring. I may be better off just paying an install shop to run my 12V and Ground.

TouchdownTN
Anyone done this and have any tips to make it easier. I know I should disconnect the battery before running my 12V line. Will this do any damage to the H2 by disconnecting the battery. If so, is there a work around that I should be aware of. Also where is a good ground or could I just tie into the factory ground on the stereo harness? Sorry for all the questions but I am a little green at messing with the electrical wiring. I may be better off just paying an install shop to run my 12V and Ground.

TouchdownTN

ShaggyX
05-10-2004, 08:25 PM
I dont have any expirence with the H2 specifically, but I have setup a handful of amps before. Most wiring kits will have a fuse on your 12V line, as long as you remove that fuse you should be fine without disconnecting the battery. If your 12V line doesn't have a fuse you can still run it without disconnecting the battery, you just have to be more careful(touching metal with a live line can give you a nice spark showhttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

As far as the ground...most any metal surface should suffice. I just have mine screwed into the body in my car and in my truck, and both work fine (used factory screws under the carpeting). I wouldnt tie it into the stereo ground, but that is probably just me being paranoid (I can live without my amp, but if I fried the stereo I would be pissed).

Klaus
05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Good info from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_install_steps.html

Zing
05-10-2004, 09:53 PM
A few answers/tips:

1. No problems disconnecting your battery. You just need to reset your clock.

2. No real need to disconnect your battery. Hook up you positive as the last connection you make.

3. Make sure you have install a fuse a few on your power wire a few inches from where it connects to the battery.