PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Features of the H3

Hummer Guy
06-02-2005, 06:30 PM
What do you guys think are the best/worst features of the H3? Just curious http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hummer Guy
06-02-2005, 06:30 PM
What do you guys think are the best/worst features of the H3? Just curious http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XM DUDE
06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Best/ looks,off road ability/ coolness factor.
bad a little under powered.

HummerNewbie
06-02-2005, 07:02 PM
I would have to agree with XM.

Now this is only in my mind since I haven't actually gotten to see one in person yet http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

angelus
06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
best: interior, especially seats
worst: chrome door handles

just my two cents

XM DUDE
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
oh yah I forgot about the interior, that is pretty nice as GM goes.

Desert Dan
06-02-2005, 07:47 PM
BEST:
It is really designed for 4x4 use:
skid plates and rock rails available
low gears
6-speed available
even lower t-case gears
rear locker (needs a front one though)
large gas tank (23-gallons)
33" Tires
Good MPG as advertised
Hummer Looks

WORST:
Cargo area not flat with rear seat folded down
Needs a front diff locker

I still need to do a test drive!!!

lexpro
06-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I think the best feature will be the value when incentives kick in and you can buy the car for triple net .....

mstams
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Is it just me, or don't you all think the location of the rear seat cupholders makes no sense? I also don't like the single rear tow hook.

timgco
06-03-2005, 12:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mstams:
Is it just me, or don't you all think the location of the rear seat cupholders makes no sense? I also don't like the single rear tow hook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought that was unique on the cup
holders. WTH is up with those? thats really not going to work well with three people in the back or someone that wants to sit in the middle.

That rear tow hook thing will be fixed. someone will come out with a reaplacement bumper. Same with the front to include a winch; As the front end is now, there is no way to put a winch on. I am willing to bet that within 6 months from now, there will be someone with these upgrades done.
Plans for ours within the next couple of months will have PC'D black rims and plastic coated center caps, color matched grille, Gobi Stealth Rack with extreme white PIAA 1500XT's front and rear, Rear ladder, tinted windows, custom light bar below front grille.

Than the fun starts after that. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Moab in Sept/ Oct. Can't wait!!!!!!

oneworld
06-03-2005, 01:02 AM
best hummer looks, capability, coolness factor, interior lux pac, off road pac locking dif & 33s,

worst > my dealer does not have mine yet > the rear window would be great if it went up and down, The rear hatch would be better if it opened up instead of side to side ( yes I understand with the tire that wont work), no room to get your hand down to the power seat controls with the door closed, rear seats fold flat not, waisted space of rear interior with the wheel wells boxed out, one side has a small compartment built into it that does not need to be thier,

But these are small prices to pay for such a capable cool bad ass looking ride
SO I CANT WAIT TO GET MINE http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mudderducker
06-03-2005, 01:50 AM
best:

4.10's
6 speed
a perfect size for wheeling
great angles
locking diff
designed to fit 33" stock
4 year 50k warranty
under $30K

worst:
anything chrome
leaf springs
independent front suspension
odd engine choice
every soccer mom on the plannet is going to have one
anything chrome

mudderducker
06-03-2005, 01:58 AM
a side note:

not sure if you guys know this, a Jeep Unlimited (longer Wrangler) Rubicon is about $29K. So the H3 is a helluva deal if you want one for weekend wheeling and still classy enough for the country club. An H3 with a 6 speed and Adventure? package should be about $30K.

Hummer Guy
06-03-2005, 02:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
worst:
anything chrome
leaf springs
independent front suspension
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mudder, what kind of suspension do you want? I kinda like the 4 wheel independent personally...just wondering what you don't like about the independents

mudderducker
06-03-2005, 03:47 AM
I would prefer the solid axle for it's sturdiness and less breaking parts, but that is getting harder to find in new vehicles. IFS is not the end of the world though.

killian
06-03-2005, 04:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mudderducker:
An H3 with a 6 speed and Adventure package should be about $30K. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's gonna cost more than that to have them squeze a 6th gear into that 5 speed box.

Holliday
06-03-2005, 10:21 AM
How about "Missing" features?

Features I feel are missing from the H3 LUX:

(frame of reference: 2004 Colorado 4x4 CC (MSRP $32K) and 2005 GMC Envoy SLT (MSRP $38K)

1) The leather seats appear to be similar to the ones in my Colorado with Hi/Low heating switch on the side of the seat. Ok in a $32K truck, not acceptable in a $38-40K SUV. I'm expecting seats similar to my Envoy, more plush, 3-level heating, back and seat bottom controlled separately. Sidenote...what's with the manual recline on the H3 driver's seat? Even the Colorado has power recline.

2) Seat & mirror position memory...missing.

3) Power adjustable pedals...missing.

4) No steering wheel touch controls.

5) Manual A/C. Should be automatic, if not dual zone automatic.

6) I'm not sure on this one, but I'm guessing the H3 DIC is the "Basic" version I have on the Colorado and not the "Enhanced" version I have on my Envoy.

I'm contemplating purchasing the H3 this year because I love its "Looks" and capabilities, but the above "Missing" features are giving me reservations for a vehicle in its price range.

My thoughts on the I5:

I've driven it daily in the Colorado for the past year and I really have no complaints about the power of this engine. I do however absolutely hate the exhaust note that it has in the Colorado. It sounds like a 4-banger. I hope when I get to test drive the H3 it does not sound like my Colorado...definite deal breaker for me. Also, there is a well-documented issue with the notorious "rough-idle" on the I5/auto Colorado, which GM has been unable to fully correct with 2 PCM updates now. Hope this doesn't plauge the H3.

Admittedly, I'm not a hardcore off-roader, so maybe the H3 is not targeted at me, however, I've read that GM is trying to target women with the H3 and if so, the above missing features become even more important. My wife loves the looks of the H3, but won't even consider a more expensive H3 that doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" as her Envoy (which cost me MUCH less than $38K). I realize you're paying for the Off-road capability of the H3, but what's the point of a "LUX" package without all of the "LUX" that GM puts on its other similar price range SUVs? The "Hummer" nameplate doesn't carry a premimum for me, I want "All" the features GM put on my Envoy (which cost less than the H3). I don't think that's asking too much.

On the plus side, the lack of these features may keep the H3 from becoming the "Soccer-Mom" gotta have. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

angelus
06-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm kindof concened about the quality of the Monsoon sound. Hoping to get a higher end system like the one in my Volvo XC90.

DeLeon
06-03-2005, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On the plus side, the lack of these features may keep the H3 from becoming the "Soccer-Mom" gotta have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope so!!

funpilot
06-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Just found out that if you do not order the H3 with the front wrap around rail guards it will cost more to install it than the price of he option as it takes several hours to do it right!@!

mudderducker
06-05-2005, 01:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by killian:
It's gonna cost more than that to have them squeze a 6th gear into that 5 speed box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep hearing this 6 speed talk. Not going to happen?

killian
06-05-2005, 03:13 PM
A feature that I like is the alarm system. If you lock the door with your remote the alarm is set and the only way to deactivate it is by pressing the unlock button on the remote. This means that if someone tries to use a car opening tool, a rocker pick, a key or even if they try and punch the lock out the alarm will still sound. This combined with the MRD ignition makes the H3 a challenge to steal. Still, I'm surprised that GM didn't choose to go with a transponder key in the US market. I'm willing to bet that any H3s sold in Europe will have a transponder based key system.

HummerNewbie
06-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I like the transponder keys but damn, $80+ to get another key made really sucks http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

killian
06-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I can get you a better deal than that, but 80 bucks beats paying the 200 you'd have to cough up if you were to cheap to get a duplicate and lost your transponder key entirely.

You can also just get a mechanical key that will work in the doors and turn the ignition but won't start the engine for about $2. It makes a great hide a key, if someone finds it thet can't drive away with your vehicle because the transponder is missing.

Obviously though we won't have to worry about that with the H3.

HURF
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Plus:
Tight turning radius
locker,creeper transfer,33's
ride quality

Minus

space between brake and tunnel,gas pedel is very tight. I dont think I could drive it with winter boots on.

Power seat adjustments on the side of the seat are hard to reach,,no room between armrest and seat

The front of the flares around the rear wheels catch alot of crap,,bugs,,chips,,mud,,etc

I would LOVE to see the 310 hp alum blk 5.3 V8 in it.

HURF

XM DUDE
06-06-2005, 03:03 PM
It sounds like they are starting out simple, but I think that over time more goodies will find their way into the baby Hummer.
I also think that it's not that it is under powered, but it is the low gearing that slows it down, after it is ment to be a climbing machine.

HUMMER H3 4 ME
06-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Would anyone want to see chrome(hahaha if not plastic chrome like door handles) or body color bumpers? Instead of plastic, these would have tobe after-market.