PDA

View Full Version : ONSTAR TO THE RESCUE

Mike
11-14-2002, 09:39 PM
This is an article that I copied from our local news website(http://www.ktvn.com). Police used the GPS/OnStar system to track the vehicle.

ON-STAR TO THE RESCUE
Early Wednesday morning, Arley Lewis reported his Hummer "H-2" stolen. His Hummer is equipped with the "On-Star" Navigation system. It's a computer that tells you where you are, but it also tells police where your car is if it's stolen.

Wednesday morning, Police found the stolen Hummer atop a hill in Sun Valley. Footprints in the mud lead them to a nearby house where they found the suspect hiding. After a short standoff he gave up. The owner of the Hummer says it was gutted. Police say the suspect was wanted on a previous warrant. He's been booked into the Washoe County Jail.

Mike
11-14-2002, 09:39 PM
This is an article that I copied from our local news website(http://www.ktvn.com). Police used the GPS/OnStar system to track the vehicle.

ON-STAR TO THE RESCUE
Early Wednesday morning, Arley Lewis reported his Hummer "H-2" stolen. His Hummer is equipped with the "On-Star" Navigation system. It's a computer that tells you where you are, but it also tells police where your car is if it's stolen.

Wednesday morning, Police found the stolen Hummer atop a hill in Sun Valley. Footprints in the mud lead them to a nearby house where they found the suspect hiding. After a short standoff he gave up. The owner of the Hummer says it was gutted. Police say the suspect was wanted on a previous warrant. He's been booked into the Washoe County Jail.

hummerbot
11-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Yea for onstar.

He'll be out in 24 hours.

What wire do I clip?

hummerbot

MAC
11-15-2002, 04:44 AM
Hummer is that easy to steal? what about the alarm, is that just there to make us feel good everytime we remote lock the Hummer?

Years ago there was a car repo company next door to my biz, these professional car thieves repo cars for banks, they can steal any cars within 30 seconds, I saw them in action, repo(stole) a Cadillac, gone in 20 seconds. All cars, except Mercedes, which they must have keys from banks/dealers. They borrowed my MB to try, after 3 hours by 4 guys, they gave up. They get paid by the cars they bring back. Most work is in tracking the vehicles, once found, rest is easy for the pros.

DRTYFN
11-16-2002, 03:55 AM
Quick lesson to everyone about auto security- If it is possible to have remote start added to your vehicle then the "anti-theft" system is worthless. Smart thieves obtain wiring schematics from the manufacturer under the guise of auto alarm installers. They can then call the tech support line and are given the exact step-by-step procedure for starting the vehicle without the "smart key". VERY SCARY!!!
That's why I put a Powerlock on my Tahoe. I let a repo guy look at it and he just stared at it and finally shook his head and said it'd have to be towed.

SONA
11-17-2002, 10:48 AM
well I hope insurance covered his loss... otherwise what good is On-Star... So does anyone know how much On-Star reduces your insurance?

BA
11-17-2002, 05:06 PM
My dealer was telling me they had an audio tape that On-Star sent them. Seems a woman lost control of her vehicle and went over an embankment into a river. When the airbags deployed On-Star was notified and called her. On the tape you could hear the water rushing in the vehicle and her screaming for help. They dispatched the FD and she was rescued. Pretty amazing!

Big Z
11-19-2002, 01:59 AM
I've used onstar quite a few times, in three different rigs. It was automatic with the Hummer, upgraded to the directions & connections, purchased 100 minutes of cell time for fourty bucks, (good for 12 months/anywhere). Try to find a store in a strange town, they will -turn by turn- get you there. Plus some other cool features. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Dew Hummer, St. Pete, FL
11-21-2002, 04:33 PM
OnStar is as good as the data it's given. Thieves can steal just about anything, but it depends on how long after the theft is discovered and OnStar is called. We had a Cadillac stolen off the lot and recovered within an hour of contacting OnStar. *ONLY* the owner can initiate stolen vehicle call, not even dealer or police...we had a carjacking of a customer and OnStar wouldn't initiate tracking without talking to customer, who had already been taken in an ambulance.

Locally, a kidnapping was ended when the spouse of the victim called police and had the car (an Acura) tracked with OnStar. The victim was locked in a storage unit by his disgruntled former employee who planned to kill him.

BTW...with a warrant, the FBI can wire your car for tracking within 10 minutes...I have been privy to it being done.

MAC
11-21-2002, 04:38 PM
FBI can wire my Hummer anytime they want to. Does the FBI supply a window sticker that says "FBI WIRED"? Maybe a DEA WIRED sticker is even more useful. Next time when I am in DC, I want to go look for a DEA decal or FBI decal for my Hummer windows.

Big Z
11-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Just curious Mac, have you somehow disabled your antenna/onstar system?

JJ
11-21-2002, 10:30 PM
BIG BROTHER LISTENING

to start with I'm for OnStar - the benefits are impressive, BUT I wonder, can an OnStar agent remotely turn on the Mic in your vehicle and listen in on the conversations within the vehicle (after all how did they get the tape of the water rushing into the vehicle), just curious...

JJ

buddy
11-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Dew Hummer,

When are you moving to your new location?

buddy
jacksonville

hummerbot
11-21-2002, 10:42 PM
Are you concerned that Onstar can be used to track you? Or even listen to you? Are you also concerned that the gro store makes you use a card to buy stuff at the correct price so they can track your purchases? Are you concerned that each of your emails are being read by a computer? What about the new mandate that requires cell phones to have GPS on them? How about the new system the government will use to track everything from your purchases, medical history, traffic tickets, phone records, websites you visit, etc? Man, you must be paranoid!

hb

MAC
11-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Big Z, No, my On*Star should be working as new, only accidentally pushed it a couple times. Why? don't understand your question.

If FBI, NSA, KGB or whomever wants to listen to me while I drive, please do; I would think they should have better things to do, besides they don't need my Hummer to listen to me with all the fancy toys they have on hand. Might hear me sing once awhile when the right tune hits the right spot.

Regarding the story about that woman in water, once airbag is activated, On*Star is connected to talk to you. Don't worry, On*Star people don't sit there listen to her and waiting for her to drive into a river.

JJ
11-21-2002, 11:00 PM
Naw, doesn't bother me at all, in fact I'd really like to be able to exert some parental monitoring to know where my teenage kids have taken my car to....

Personally, I beleive we have the freedoms we do because we are willing to support a government that defends them. And if these resources are used in an ethical manner and with good intentions, then "love it or leave it".

I just find that "big brother listening" topic to be high on the Entertainment Factor rating..

JJ

hummerbot
11-22-2002, 01:25 AM
I'm sure that your position is that of the general masses. Most people will willingly pay almost any freedom or privacy for a little security, convinence, or even some dough. I've been known for not being on the same trail as the masses, hey I've got a hummer to prove it!

peace,
hb

Arizona Hummerboy
11-22-2002, 01:46 AM
On Star is very cool /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I was messing with it at the Grand Cayon (South Rim)it works wery well they also told me were I was parked at. " Talking about Big Brother watching you"

11-23-2002, 09:54 PM
cool hummer,hummerbot /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif