PDA

View Full Version : More AV System optionions wanted

JohnnyRPM
04-27-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm torn....

After seeing Frank's Pioneer NAV system, I'm really tempted...it's a great looking unit with some nice features. But I have a decision to make. I can't decide to go with a head unit that has integrated NAV functions like the Pioneer or the Eclipse AVN unit...or go with one with an integrated TV tuner like the Kenwood (and I think Pioner has one as well).

Does anyone here have a TV tuner in their truck? I get mixed reviews when I search forums like sounddomain.com and such on the TV tuners. I'm on construction sites supervising a good deal of the time and I'd love to be able to watch local news and such while I'm just sitting in the truck in the monrings. But if reception is going to be lousy I don't want to pay for a feature I'll never use. I'm not generally in the city...more in the suburbs (about 20 miles out of downtown Boston), so building interference isn't really a problem.

And on the NAV end, to be honest, I don't find myself lost very much and I really don't know how often I'll actually use the navigation system. Maybe if I had it, I'd find myself using it more?

And then there's the Alpine D900 and new D901 with their super high res screen, which would be nice for DVDs, but to add NAV or TV to it would cost a fortune (I think Alpine's NAV system is like $1800). Plus, those with non Alpine 7" screens say their picture is plenty high quality without Alpine's megapixel capability.

Any opinions? It's a decent chunk of change to lay down and I want to make sure I get something I'll use to it's full capability.

-John

JohnnyRPM
I'm torn....

After seeing Frank's Pioneer NAV system, I'm really tempted...it's a great looking unit with some nice features. But I have a decision to make. I can't decide to go with a head unit that has integrated NAV functions like the Pioneer or the Eclipse AVN unit...or go with one with an integrated TV tuner like the Kenwood (and I think Pioner has one as well).

Does anyone here have a TV tuner in their truck? I get mixed reviews when I search forums like sounddomain.com and such on the TV tuners. I'm on construction sites supervising a good deal of the time and I'd love to be able to watch local news and such while I'm just sitting in the truck in the monrings. But if reception is going to be lousy I don't want to pay for a feature I'll never use. I'm not generally in the city...more in the suburbs (about 20 miles out of downtown Boston), so building interference isn't really a problem.

And on the NAV end, to be honest, I don't find myself lost very much and I really don't know how often I'll actually use the navigation system. Maybe if I had it, I'd find myself using it more?

And then there's the Alpine D900 and new D901 with their super high res screen, which would be nice for DVDs, but to add NAV or TV to it would cost a fortune (I think Alpine's NAV system is like $1800). Plus, those with non Alpine 7" screens say their picture is plenty high quality without Alpine's megapixel capability.

Any opinions? It's a decent chunk of change to lay down and I want to make sure I get something I'll use to it's full capability.

-John

JohnnyRPM
I'm torn....

-John

frank6150
04-27-2004, 11:42 AM
I feel for ya, it is a tough decision to make. I had been thinking about getting something done since August of '03 and could never quite pin down what I wanted to do until my buddy called me and told me about the Pioneer set up.

If it is a matter of funds then maybe get the head unit you really want now and you can always add the nav later if you decide you need it. I bought mine cause the price was right and it has a ton of features I can definitely use.

Can't give you any info on tv tuners since I don't have mine yet. Good luck.

TBarrow
04-27-2004, 02:32 PM
My previous system that was stolen had a tuner built in and I could very little reception. I replaced it all with Alpine and the resolution is awesome. I put the Nav system and 7996 head unit and all the other cool toys with it.

Hummer Man
04-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Nice!

Hummer Man
04-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Has anyone seen the slide out glove box conversion for the LAP TOPS that they had in the H2 at the SEMA sSHOW. It was on the BLACK H2 right inside the main entrance.

PARAGON
04-28-2004, 02:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummer Man:
Has anyone seen the slide out glove box conversion for the LAP TOPS that they had in the H2 at the SEMA sSHOW. It was on the BLACK H2 right inside the main entrance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, because there was no such thing there. Besides there is no room for a computer to fit in that location, dummy.

TBarrow
04-28-2004, 02:15 AM
It was not SEMA it was the 2003 CES show. and the truck was for Panasonic.

http://www.anderson-audio.com/projects2.html

DRTYFN
04-28-2004, 03:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummer Man:
Has anyone seen the slide out glove box conversion for the LAP TOPS that they had in the H2 at the SEMA sSHOW. It was on the BLACK H2 right inside the main entrance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, put the crack pipe down and back away from it!! You've really gone even further off the deep end than usual. You seeing aliens again? And I don't mean the kind that come floating over on milk carton rafts from Cuba.

Hummer Man
04-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Your right it might of been in VEGAS - I wasnt sober for 3 days after I got back from a VIP tour of the Chicken Ranch!

H2BIG
04-28-2004, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hummerman: I wasnt sober for 3 days after I got back from a VIP tour of the Chicken Ranch! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey HM, based on your admitted lifestyle preferences and your recent posts, I'm afraid you could be suffering from neurosyphilis - possibly an uncharacterized simian variant. Better get checked out!

PARAGON
04-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Your right it might of been in VEGAS - I wasnt sober for 3 days after I got back from a VIP tour of the Chicken Ranch! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hummer dumbass, you didn't see it anywhere. Tbarrow pointed this out. Take a look at the pic a little more closely, it's sliding out of the airbag location and the glove box is still intact below.

Little details like this don't matter to overzealous liars like you. "What is your major malfunction numbnuts" - Gunney Ermey

JohnnyRPM
04-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Okay...I think I've made my decision. The Kenwood KVT-915DVD. It's 7" touch screen, included TV tuner and has internal DSP. It also plays both DVD- and DVD+RWs...I have both as a result of the different burners I've used to rip DVDs.

Anyone here got this unit? I saw a couple of Kenwood 911s by searching the archive but none owning up to having the 915. Anyone know if Kenwood's TV tuners are as good as the Aplines?

Follow up question....a sub enclosure. I can't give up ANY cargo space...I haul stuff/kids and my Mastiff around quite a bit and need all the space. I'm considering the JL Audio some people here have installed and wondered if anyone has come accross any others. MTX doesn't seem to make one. I read a while back about a second row underseat enclosure but can't find the original post and as I recall nobody had actually installed one to know if the seat will still fold down afterwards or if the volume of the box was enough to give a good crisp thump.

Thanks again gang for all your continued input...

-John

Hummer Man
04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Nice Choice!

PARAGON
04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Nice Choice! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Complete Idiot!

Hummer Man
04-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Very Nice!

PARAGON
04-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Very Nice! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand.

DH22G
04-28-2004, 09:12 PM
I work at a shop, and the ALPINE has been the best units so far. I feel that the Alpine is definately worth the extra bills. I had a pioneer in my truck before and it broke. Now I have the D900 and the alpine dvd nav and it integrates beautifully! Also the Alpine TV tuner is good. I live in the suburbs of cali and have great reception.