PDA

View Full Version : Super Swampers Suck?

Buckeye Hummer
02-10-2004, 02:58 AM
So after talking to the Hummer God (name not given for security reasons http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) I decided that I must retract my earlier comments of buy any tire similar to the MTR. It is now my understanding that Super Swampers are sh^t because they are not rated for H1 use and may be sufficient for an H2 but barely because the weights aren't too far off. Furthermore, I have been informed that after a long drive on the highway the swampers tend to get too hot and shred on the trails. He didn't even give them a year of good use. Another losing proposition would be the PJ dirt grips although better than the swamper. He said these are better and should last at least a year but plan on a faster replacement. He said the best tire (for my h1) in lieu of the MTR (since they're all rolling near the borders) would be some version that BFG offers. He said they ride the best, last the longest and are rated properly.

Take it or leave it, everyone has an opinion but I tend to listen to guys that race for Hummer and know more about Hummers than the General.

Buckeye Hummer
02-10-2004, 02:58 AM
So after talking to the Hummer God (name not given for security reasons http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) I decided that I must retract my earlier comments of buy any tire similar to the MTR. It is now my understanding that Super Swampers are sh^t because they are not rated for H1 use and may be sufficient for an H2 but barely because the weights aren't too far off. Furthermore, I have been informed that after a long drive on the highway the swampers tend to get too hot and shred on the trails. He didn't even give them a year of good use. Another losing proposition would be the PJ dirt grips although better than the swamper. He said these are better and should last at least a year but plan on a faster replacement. He said the best tire (for my h1) in lieu of the MTR (since they're all rolling near the borders) would be some version that BFG offers. He said they ride the best, last the longest and are rated properly.

Take it or leave it, everyone has an opinion but I tend to listen to guys that race for Hummer and know more about Hummers than the General.

Joe
02-10-2004, 01:07 PM
How are they being used? I have the PJ's and have been very pleased with them. I don't use my truck for daily driving but more for off-roading and the performance of the PJ's has been GREAT. I can see how the wear with lots a street use could be an issue.

Perfect option and one I'm working on now myself is to have two sets of tires. GSA's for street and PJ's for off-roading.

Funny thing is I don't recall seeing anyone running BFG's on an H1 around here. Wasn't all that impressed with them on the H2 either. I can see this being a much better balanced tire between full off-road (Swampers and PJ) and a street tire (GSA's) though.

Let us know your impression should you go with the BFG's

2001 H1 Opentop

Former 03 H2 Adventure Series

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net

SunsetShannon
02-10-2004, 01:13 PM
I can only tell you second-hand that the H1s run swampers all the time! My H1 friend ran Super Swamper SSRs 'til they were almost bald. He drove them continuously, on and offroad.

He now has a set of Super Swamper Boggers that he swaps for offroading because of the on-road noise. He reccomended the Super Swampers for my truck (an H2) and I went with the new IROKs. I love my tires, and would keep them on all the time if I didn't think the tread would wear too quickly.

- Shannon
Indianapolis, IN
Sunset Orange H2
http://www.geocities.com/rottinmom/index.html

alecs wife
02-10-2004, 01:28 PM
The Swampers have a higher weight rating than the BFG's....Interesting comment.

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

FrgMstr
02-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the information Buckeye, this is very interesting. I make my living in the tech industry and I have people vomit superior specifications all day long and they do not neccessarily tranfer into reality when it comes to using the product.

Feedback from a guy like that is worth it weight in black rubber this time around and just confirmed to me that my pick of BFG MTs is most likely the best in lieu of getting the wanted MTRs.

Thanks again for taking the time to share the story.

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com

RIC-H0
02-10-2004, 02:09 PM
I've had both BFG MT's and SuperSwamper SSR's.
They both wear Fairly quickly, and are both noisy on the road. I bought these tires for their off road capabilities, and not for the comfort of how they ride on the highway.
As for as highway ride goes, as long as you can get them balanced, and as long as they are not throwing chunks of rubber at you at high speeds, I would think it is a matter of preference.
I personally prefer to have better traction off road (Climbing rock, and in the mud), than having a tire that is a few decibles quieter on the highway.
You could always get yourself a set of street tires and a set of wheeling tires, if you want to go to extremes.

Either way, you're gonna have to pay if you wanna Play!

Just My opinion!

Ric-H2

Buckeye Hummer
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Well, I can tell you this. I really don't want to release his name because I don't want everyone calling him. He races professionally for Hummer and is the most knowledgeable h1 tech bar none. All of us Socal fanatics see him frequently at the service center for everything from oil changes to water valves you name it. He ALWAYS knows the problem. Furthermore, he is directly tied to AMG since he races and services for them. He is either in the shop working on them, racing them, or back in Indiana helping them. He also told me that if the MFG. knew a buyer was using swampers on their h1 they would not recommend it's use for that particular vehicle. As far as the ratings go I said rated for the h1 not necessarily its weight. I don't know enough about tires but he does. Basically, I really wouldn't argue the point of his credibility. He's the best and his words are gospel to me. As far as BFG's go, I obviously had them on my h2 and thought they were spectacular tires. I took those tires over rocks and loose sharp surfaces for 13 months and they did just great. My MTR's have gotten torn up in the rear but I think that's because I have used my rear locker when not necessary. So, if MTR's are not available when I need them I'll pick up the appropriate BFG.

SunsetShannon
02-10-2004, 02:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You could always get yourself a set of street tires and a set of wheeling tires, if you want to go to extremes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely! In reallity, I'm prob SAVING money in the long run by having an offroad set mounted and waiting. Spare OEM wheels are cheap now from the dealerships. There's no reason to run expensive, agressive tires every day on the pavement (other than they look badass). I still run on my swampers to the events, but throw my ATs on for tooling around town. Getting longer life out to both sets!

- Shannon
Indianapolis, IN
Sunset Orange H2
http://www.geocities.com/rottinmom/index.html

alecs wife
02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SunsetShannon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You could always get yourself a set of street tires and a set of wheeling tires, if you want to go to extremes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Absolutely! In reallity, I'm prob SAVING money in the long run by having an offroad set mounted and waiting. Spare OEM wheels are cheap now from the dealerships. There's no reason to run expensive, agressive tires every day on the pavement (other than they look badass). I still run on my swampers to the events, but throw my ATs on for tooling around town. Getting longer life out to both sets!

- Shannon
Indianapolis, IN
Sunset Orange H2
http://www.geocities.com/rottinmom/index.html<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the same thing.

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

Webman
02-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Buckeye:

I have been running Swampper SSR's on my truck for two plus years. The only thing that I have noticed is they do get chewed up when you do rock crawling. I drove out to Colorado and Utah on them. After I came back they were pretty chewed up from the rocks.

You need to make sure you get the 10 Ply tires. there are many storys of guys having blow outs with the 6 Ply. I love the way they ride and sound. They work great off road.

I had them on 2 piece steel wheels and they were tuff to balance, so I switched to 1 piece aluminum and am very happy.

At a price of around 240 a tire they are very reasonable.

I have run the MTR's on my truck but chose to get rid of them because the ride was very hard. The swampper is a softer tire. I went with the stock size just to make sure the wheel stayed inside the wheel well and to keep the spedo the same.

Mark Weber
Webman
www.wisconsinhummerowners.com (http://www.wisconsinhummerowners.com)

Joe
02-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Agree with Mark that some of this might be coming from the old Swamper stories around the 6 ply vs the newer 10 ply sidewalls. I know the stories of blowouts with the older Swampers where all over the place at one time. Most of the recent reviews I have seen have been positive other than wear, but for me this is almost a given in an off-roading tire.

In the end this is one just one of those topics that you will find folks on all sides with good and bad...

2001 H1 Opentop

Homepage:

RIC-H0
02-11-2004, 12:08 PM
You go Phil...
I wouldn't trade my SSR's for anything.
He is not my God!!!!
He is heavy, and he is not not my Brother! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ric-H2

Joe
02-11-2004, 02:35 PM
No arguements from me...

I am a big fan of the PJ Dirt Grips and think they also got thrown in to the mix...

2001 H1 Opentop

Homepage:

jwm3
02-11-2004, 04:42 PM
What's clear to me is that the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R downright ROCKS. I'm glad I have my set. I just hope they are in good supply again by the time I wear them out.

Webman
02-11-2004, 05:55 PM
I just looked up the max wieght rating of my tires on Inteco's wesite.
12.5X16.5X37 SSR
3970LBS

Not SSR - 3640 lbs

Just to set the record straight.

I will agree that the tires do wear fast. But it is all in what you like. I ran my first set for a little over a year. I chewed them up pretty good from rock crawling. I switched to MTR's for about six months for on road use only. The MTR's showed no wear. I got rid of them because I did not like the ride. I bought a new set of Swamppers after the MTR's and have been running them for about nine months. They seem to be wearing very nicely. I am also careful to watch my tire pressure when I am driving long distances. I dont let the get over 45LBS. Thats one nice thing about CTIS, you can change pressure when you are driving.

I know of a bunch of people running the PJ's and they love them. I just think they cost to much.

Mark Weber
Webman

Buckeye Hummer
02-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Please don't shoot the messenger. A couple of you have gotten a little testy here. I started this thread for conversation not for a pissing match about tires.

I don't know anything about tires, that is why I asked so please don't take my word for anything. I did speak to this tech again this morning and was actually there for my 18k service. He had about 20 H1's there he was working on. Many of them had super swampers, a couple had MTR's, a few gsa's etc. I asked him again what he meant by rated for the H1. I asked if it was just the weight rating or if there was something else. He said it was two things, first the weight rating, which I guess is supposed to be weight rating D (don't frickin run with this, it's what I remember), Second, the rubber composition. I understand that tires can have the correct weight rating but maybe they're still not the best tire for a Hummer. That is what I was desperately trying to find out. His opinion still stands that the MTR is by far the best, swampers and dirt grips fall apart too fast, and that the D rated BFG is currently the best #2 option for the h1.

I'm appealing to an authority here so don't come after my ass. Professional debate is welcome.

RIC-H0
02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Sometimes, it is the messenger that gets shot at for relaying misinformation.
Why not have this Hummer God Join the forum, so we can hear it straight from the horses mouth.
It is sad to hear that a person that works on Hummers is so set on 1 particular set of tires. It has been my experience that there is not one set of tires that are perfect for all situations. I'm sure the Swampers are better for deep, loose mud, and the MTR's are better for dry rock climbing, and on road traction.
We all have our own personal opinions, but to say Swampers suck, is just showing his ignorance.

Ric-H2

Webman
02-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Phil:

My mistake, I missed the tire spec you posted at the top.
I was thinking only about the 16.5 rims because I do not know anyone running 17 inch wheels with swamppers on an H1. Thank You for correcting me.

Buckeye:

I dont really know if he is right or wrong. I can only speak from past expierence with my truck and Swamppers. I can tell you there are a lot of H1's out there running swamppers. Most of the ones I have seen are running the TSL's or SSX's. I have only seen a couple of others running the SSR's like mine. And I have never seen one with the IROK's. I would never go back to MTR's mostly because of how hard they ride.

I think no matter what tire you get, if you climb sharp jagged rocks you are going to chew them up.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here just giving my 2 cents

Mark Weber
Webman

Buckeye Hummer
02-11-2004, 11:53 PM
MTR's do ride rather hard I think? Unfortunately, I have not had any other tire on my H1 yet. The only other experience I have is with the bfg's on the h2. Those were well selected tires for that truck.

alecs wife
02-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Swampers puncher to easy!!!! My truck slid side ways and a stick went through the side wall. I did not even expect it.

cinci
02-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Buckeye,

If you expert is connected with Rod Hall do you think his opinion is effected by BFG being a sponsor? I have MTRs and they are E rated for load compared to the D rating of most of the other tires. This probably effects the stiffness of the side wall.

I wonder if this extra stiffness of the side wall would have helped in R2's situation?

Thanks,
David
Black H2

kling-on
02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
As a ex-Manager for 4Wheel Parts during the first SuperDutys and LOTS of swamper blow out to the point of the Corp offices telling us not to sell Swampers on F350 anymore. I was told by techs at swapmper that there tires weren't made for over 55 mph. The heat build up from this caused the side walls to melt from the inside making tread wear faster and side walls to blow out , this happend more in the south, but can happen anyplace. The only tire the will cover on diesel f350 are E rated, but the still recomend stopping every few hour to let the tires cool if you running them in the hoter days of the year. HOpe this help ya'll on your tire choise.

82 FJ60 ARB bull bar 12k Warn, 4 in BDS ....waiting on more green stuff...

low riders want SWITCHES..... 4 wheelers want SHIFTERS

Link to pics
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/album82

GIT-R-DONE!!!!!!!!