PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hatch Opening - Affected by Gobi Ladder??????

SRFCASTR
12-26-2003, 01:00 AM
I had my Gobi rack and ladder installed and found the rear hatch opening sluggish. In fact there seems to be little if any hydraulic lift to it. The rack was installed immediately after I took delivery and do not know if this is caused by the weight of the ladder or a problem with the hatch hardware. Anyone have similar issue? It is NOT like dead-weight, but it must be raised actively to its top position.

Is there a way to adjust the "lift" of the hatch hardware??

Thanx

SRFCASTR

SRFCASTR
12-26-2003, 01:00 AM
I had my Gobi rack and ladder installed and found the rear hatch opening sluggish. In fact there seems to be little if any hydraulic lift to it. The rack was installed immediately after I took delivery and do not know if this is caused by the weight of the ladder or a problem with the hatch hardware. Anyone have similar issue? It is NOT like dead-weight, but it must be raised actively to its top position.

Is there a way to adjust the "lift" of the hatch hardware??

Thanx

SRFCASTR

Detonate
12-26-2003, 01:34 AM
It's like that with any aftermarket ladder. The hatch just wasn't designed to support that weight.

To my knowledge, noone has found better lift hardware to replace stock.

------------------------------
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.

Paul L
12-26-2003, 03:25 AM
If there is a need (let me know). I can check with my supplier. I'm sure there is a a better lift. I use many different kinds in my work (hidden rooms & safes).

http://www.carpentryasanart.com

Adam in CO
12-26-2003, 03:29 PM
You should see how bad it is with 2 ladders! GOBI will have new pistons for the tailgate early next year, or so I'm told.

Adam P. Smith
Senior Broker
Mortgage Pros, Inc.
303-407-2405 p
303-407-2414 f
aps101374@yahoo.com

"Skull and Bones" Member Since 2003

Centerfire
12-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Mine has similar issues.. Just eat an extra bowl of wheaties..

Mike

unaslob
12-26-2003, 09:56 PM
definitely the ladder.. I have had the same prob... while it is annoying...worst case scenario... is a bump on the head (at least for me)

I cant wait for a fix though..

gobi has alot of things coming out...waiting..waiting..waiting...

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

SRFCASTR
01-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanx for the feedback. I also got info from Gobi:

- The piston in the lift are not able to function as designed with the added weight, worse in cold weather.
- Gobi will have "increased gas charged pistons" for sale end-of-Jan.

Paul L. Thanx for the offer. Will wait to see the Gobi product. If unsatisfactory or very late I may take you up on it.

SRFCASTR

Detonate
01-05-2004, 03:39 PM
I'd be interested to see what you come up with Paul.

Competition only helps drive down prices.

------------------------------
North Texas Hummer Team Member
http://www.redreefscuba.com/hummer/ht.jpg (http://www.hummerteam.com/)
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.

H2Oguy
01-10-2004, 02:23 AM
I contacted Stabilus, the manufacturer of the original shock on the H2. They said it is an easy fix and will be happy to take care of it. They work through distributors and have given me there number. Prototype shock will run 74.90 a piece. once the right poundage and figured and settled on they will just create a new shock with that poundage and put it into production and the price will drop. Not sure how much but it will go down. So there might be a little trial and error getting the right poundage to compensate for the weight of the ladder. Just thought I would give an update in case some one just could not wait any longer. I am sure the folks at Gobi are taking care of the guess work and getting a suitably priced one into production.

www.h2ohummers.com (http://www.h2ohummers.com)

unaslob
01-10-2004, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So there might be a little trial and error getting the right poundage to compensate for the weight of the ladder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

couldnt they just 'weigh' the ladder.. just a thought

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

Adam in CO
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
What about just replacing one of the pistons? The owner of Blue Hummer Outfitters (www.bluehummer.com (http://www.bluehummer.com)) suggested that.

I went to Vegas with the GOBI folks on Saturday, and their Yellow H2 has the new pistons on the tailgate, and it works great.

They should start selling them soon.

Adam P. Smith
Senior Broker
Mortgage Pros, Inc.
303-407-2405 p
303-407-2414 f
aps101374@yahoo.com

Bad Dawg
01-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Let me guess, $200 for the pair from Gobi?

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

SRFCASTR
01-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanx everyone for your thoughts and feedback.

I will likely wait for the Gobi solution (if not a lifetime)!!!

SRFCASTR

Paul L
01-14-2004, 01:37 PM
the factory gas spring is 710 newtons (160 lb)
stabilus offers units that will fit the H2 that are 800, 900, 1000 newtons in the 10mm rods.
if you want to mount your tire onto the door http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif you can get a 16mm or 18mm rod.
companys that armor plate H2s use these rods

http://www.carpentryasanart.com

NVR STUCK
01-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Any place we can get them now?

No Limits! You're Never Stuck in a Hummer!

Adam in CO
01-14-2004, 11:11 PM
NVR STUCK?! Where did that guy come from? Kidding.

The guy that had the booth next to us at SEMA sells them as OEM for GM. The name of the company is on the existing ones in my truck. I think it's STABILUS.

Adam P. Smith
Senior Broker
Mortgage Pros, Inc.
303-407-2405 p
303-407-2414 f
aps101374@yahoo.com

NVR STUCK
01-15-2004, 12:05 AM
I checked and couldn't seem to find anyone who sells the product retail.

No Limits! You're Never Stuck in a Hummer!