PDA

View Full Version : uhh-ohh... made a decent mistake

unaslob
12-16-2003, 12:49 AM
well, here is the story. i had to run into the poconos and pick up some things. well I get up to the development and the roads are pretty slippy, so I decided to put the h2 in 50/50 hi lock. no big deal. well.. I forgot it was in...I hop back on the interstate was in a hurry.... averaged about 85 on the way back....didnt realize until about 30 miles up the road....

truck is driving fine, no funny sounds, but it just is haunting me...what could i have done to it.... should I be looking for something??? I feel like a total shed for leaving it in.. I have made the ride a million times and never did that...what was a thinking???

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

unaslob
12-16-2003, 12:49 AM
well, here is the story. i had to run into the poconos and pick up some things. well I get up to the development and the roads are pretty slippy, so I decided to put the h2 in 50/50 hi lock. no big deal. well.. I forgot it was in...I hop back on the interstate was in a hurry.... averaged about 85 on the way back....didnt realize until about 30 miles up the road....

truck is driving fine, no funny sounds, but it just is haunting me...what could i have done to it.... should I be looking for something??? I feel like a total shed for leaving it in.. I have made the ride a million times and never did that...what was a thinking???

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

H2mike
12-16-2003, 01:00 AM
I dont think you should have a problem. You just shifted the power to the front slightly more. Also, it helped you were going mostly straight. You may have noticed it if you were making multiple slow-speed turns. Could have felt like the tires were fighting against each other. Dont loose any sleep.

You would be the man if you could do that in low-lock http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, XM Radio

MAC
12-16-2003, 04:03 AM
Several times I made the mistake of driving on freeway as fast as 80MPH in 3, instead of D. It is very easy to make that mistake. Happened 4 or 5 times in the last 21K miles. Seemed okay with no problem. I am sorry, so sorry, truly sorry I did that, please forgive me.

oma
12-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Didn't your gas tank make a huge sucking sound? What kind of milage did you get?

PARAGON
12-16-2003, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oma:
Didn't your gas tank make a huge sucking sound? What kind of milage did you get?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There would be no effect on gas mileage on the highway. If there were multiple tight turns, mileage might be affected some but it would be negligible.

Hum2
12-16-2003, 03:17 PM
One guy from Omaha did the same thing, only his travel distance was a few hundred miles....and his transfer case burned up, but the dealer covered his mistake for some reason. This vehicle should have some kind of alarm for this problem.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

unaslob
12-16-2003, 10:11 PM
that is right.. there should be some sort of shutoff, or alarm... that sez.. "hey retard... you forgot to turn this off!!!"

i dont do that good on the interstate.. I have alot of resistance... but I do fold the mirrors in now..get some better milage...

unaslob

oma
12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
And tuck the antenna down too.

PARAGON
12-17-2003, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hum2:
One guy from Omaha did the same thing, only his travel distance was a few hundred miles....and his transfer case burned up, but the dealer covered his mistake for some reason. This vehicle should have some kind of alarm for this problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
GM will cover this because the fact that he was driving in 4HI Locked should not have contributed to the breakdown of the t-case. The only thing happening when switching from normal to 4HI Locked is that the power is distributed 50/50 front to rear and the t-case is locked. If you have it at this setting and make some tight turns on pavement the truck will "buck" some.

Hum2
12-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Very funny oma!

You wouldn't be from Omaha would you?

Interested in an event?

E-mail me!

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net

hinten
12-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Same thing happened to me. Drove it down the pass in 4HI going 80mph. Later in the parking lot the truck almost stalled in tight turns the wheels were fighting so hard. I had a really hard time putting it back into normal 4. I started to panic a little, I thought I had broken something. I backed up several times and eventually it came out of 4HI. i don't understand why the car doesn't throw you out of 4HI when you hit 50mph.

Klaus
12-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Maybe GM needs to put another bright blue warning light in the dash to warn us. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."