PDA

View Full Version : Wireless romote doesn't work at home

Chip
04-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Wireless remote has suddenly completely quit working with both remotes. I have to open the vehicle with the key and start it to keep the alarm from going off. Then the next time it works fine from 25 yards away. The dealer has not ever heard of this before. He says that even if you open the truck with the key it shouldn't set off the alarm??? Has anyone had this problem? Could be some kind of radio interference from some other transmitter. It only happens at my house.

Rick
04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
You obviously have some sort of interference. I'm not sure what frequency the remotes operate on but there are all sorts of things that may be causes. Microwaves, wireless routers, some cell phones, cordless phones (they are now at 900, 2800 and 5600) CB radios with amps, Ham radio equipment... The list goes on and on. It's funny that it only happens at your house. I guess it could be you or a neighbor. You could try turning things off until you find the culprit. Either that or swap out remotes to a different brand.

Just my .02

Sewie
04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I've heard of it happening in store parking lots because of the RF security on the shopping carts. I wonder if the keyless on the truck can be reprogrammed.

Also, FWIW, on my old truck, you could disable the alarm with the key. But sometimes, if the key wasn't turned all the way, or turned too fast, the alarm would go off.

Mike E
04-12-2006, 10:56 PM
nothing is wrong with the remote it's just getting interference from something in your house. Those little key fobs are very low on the totem pole for frequency and anything can override them and cause them not to work. f5fstop looked into this on an earlier post. Mine stops working when I park at blockbuster!

f5fstop
04-13-2006, 07:52 AM
If it doesn't work in only one location, it is the location.
Do you have an alarm system? A few years ago, when pulling into the garage, my alarm would go off, leave the car outside and it was ok. It was the tire pressure sensors in the Vette, setting off the ADT alarm. They installed a new board, and all was well.
Was not uncommon. In your case, something is causing a problem. Don't believe it would be a wireless computer system, since I have one and everything works here, but can't swear to that.
If you have an alarm system, disable and see if that allows the remote to work, if so, call the alarm company.

DennisAJC
04-13-2006, 12:35 PM
You must have done something wrong.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107064/MyImages/spying-on-us.jpg