PDA

View Full Version : H3 Questions

H34me?
05-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I just sold my Suburban and although I have looked at a new Suburban purchase I am seriously considering purchasing an H3. I would not have been interested in the H2 as I live in the city and it's just too big/wide and of course the gas mileage isn't great so I think the H3 may be 4me. Our Dealer doesn't have them in yet--should be within the next couple of days though so I can't wait to test drive one and see how it performs. Our Dealer is not taking deposits, and no waiting list, just first come, first served and they will sell for the MSRP nothing above. I get the GMS employee discount (thanks Dad!) but the discount is not as much as I had hoped--usually 20% off. Not that I'm complaining-- with the MSRP at $37,400 I will pay $32,770. Is the chrome gas cap not available right now?--only if I get the chrome package? I already have a complaint about the engine size (needs a V8), and the gas tank is only 23 gallons. The Suburban has a 42 gallon tank and that is nice for traveling. Is the DVD Nav Radio just for navigation purposes or can you use it to play DVD's? Where is the screen--is it in the middle of the consule like it is on the H2? On the build an H3 site it does not show the screen in the interior view. Is the DVD player (non navigational) even an option of the H3 like it is on the Suburban? Any equipment that is a must have on the H3 as far as resale value is concerned? Thanks in advance.

H34me?
05-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I just sold my Suburban and although I have looked at a new Suburban purchase I am seriously considering purchasing an H3. I would not have been interested in the H2 as I live in the city and it's just too big/wide and of course the gas mileage isn't great so I think the H3 may be 4me. Our Dealer doesn't have them in yet--should be within the next couple of days though so I can't wait to test drive one and see how it performs. Our Dealer is not taking deposits, and no waiting list, just first come, first served and they will sell for the MSRP nothing above. I get the GMS employee discount (thanks Dad!) but the discount is not as much as I had hoped--usually 20% off. Not that I'm complaining-- with the MSRP at $37,400 I will pay $32,770. Is the chrome gas cap not available right now?--only if I get the chrome package? I already have a complaint about the engine size (needs a V8), and the gas tank is only 23 gallons. The Suburban has a 42 gallon tank and that is nice for traveling. Is the DVD Nav Radio just for navigation purposes or can you use it to play DVD's? Where is the screen--is it in the middle of the consule like it is on the H2? On the build an H3 site it does not show the screen in the interior view. Is the DVD player (non navigational) even an option of the H3 like it is on the Suburban? Any equipment that is a must have on the H3 as far as resale value is concerned? Thanks in advance.

H34me?
05-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Forgot to mention that I am glad to see in the H3 photos that the spare tire mount is actually on the door and not that ridiculous hinge type assembally that was on the old GM Jimmy's. Those were a pain!

H3 Builder
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
The navagation won't be available until the fall and haven't seen one yet so we don't know anything about it at all. The chrome gas cover is a dealer add on, so when they come in you could have it installed.

HummerNewbie
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I think you will be happy with the H3. Now I have not actually gotten to see one in person myself, but I think you will like it. I ordered site unseen. You say the H2 would be too big for you, but you were driving a suburban. Never compared the two, but is the H2 really that much, if any, bigger? You also mentioned you didn't like the fact that it only has a 23 gallon tank. You really won't notice it is so much smaller than you are used to because the gas mileage will be so much better. Don't think you will miss that large of a take when you are at the pump filling up. As far as the DVD/Nav radio goes, it is not available at this time and as far as I know it only reads data DVDs and will not play movies. If I am wrong, someone will let us know. If you are looking for a DVD system you would be better off shopping around for aftermarket systems rather than going through the dealer. Check the link below for available accessories for the H3. This was provided by HoKC and you can find him in these forums if you have questions. As far as what to get to effect the resale, whatever you add will help but I would think that LUX and Off Road Suspension packages would help the most.

http://www.cybergarage.net/H3/H3_Part_Number.pdf

CLAYDOG
05-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Having lived with both an H2 and a Suburban I found the H2 easier to manuver and park in the city than a suburban. The tighter turning radius and shorter overall lenght more than make up for the 1 1/2" width difference. Gas milage is better in the suburban, I got 14/17.5 with the suburban, 12/14 with the H2. The Nav system for the H3 will be the same as the H2's, intagrated into the radio and located in the center stack. It does not play DVDs and I don't know off hand if a DVD player is available for the H3 right now.

firm
05-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Does anybody know of a a good indash navi system that can be put in aftermarket? I was going to wait until the fall and have the dealer put in the GM navi, but I feel like I can do better.

HummerNewbie
05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Firm,

Alpine, Pioneer and I believe Eclipse, among others, all make after market DVD/Nav head units. The display on these comes out of the unit and folds up. Below is a pic of the Pioneer AVHP7500 which you can get the optional navigation system for and has a 7" display. Don't really know much about this unit but it's an option for you. For a better idea of how it would look, go look at the pics of members H2s in the H2 section. I know I have seen some posts about these.

H34me?
05-24-2005, 04:04 PM
The Suburban measures 79.80 inches for width and 219.30 inches for length. H2 is shorter at 189.8 inches but is wider at 81.2 inches (excluding mirrors). I think the width plus the extra height make it harder to navigate and it "feels" bigger than the Suburban. Amazingly enough the H3 is even wider than the H2 (or so the brocheure indicates) at 85.5 inches (excluding the mirrors). I never minded the gas fillups on the Suburban as there was just less times to have to stop for gas--which to me is a time saver, especially when traveling long distances. The H2 is just a monster where I live--I have only seen 1 or 2 of them and they are huge in comparison to most SUV's on the market--not to mention cars. Plus there seems to be a lot of folks around here that are into "gas conservation" and although the Suburban gets slightly more gas mileage than the H2 the general public deem the H2 as an unacceptable vehicle--their thoughts not mine. Would hate for someone to throw red paint all over my new white H2--remember the fur coat thing of the 1980's? I am surprised that the H2 gets 12 mpg as I thought it would be more like 8mpg with those big tires.

CLAYDOG
05-24-2005, 04:48 PM
It must be a mistake in the brocheure, from outside of tire tread to outside of tire tread the H2 is 79.5" and the H3 is 74" (I just measured).

firm
05-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Newbie,
the only problem with that is the screen. I don't know any navi units with the in dash screen

timgco
05-24-2005, 05:12 PM
H34me, I would like to answer your questions; but a few questions need to be answered first.
1) What will your uses be for the H3?
(daily driver, hauler, off roader?)

2) DO you need the V8? and like the full size vehicle? maybe a tahoe is the -in-between answer.

3) I have sat in the H3 already and their is pleanty of room, but the back seats are a little cramped if you have a family to cart around. Family to cart?

The H3 is a bigger mid size vehicle (if that makes any sense). But will not replace a full size interior or towing capabilities. Complete options will get you around 40K. Your Suburban is around 54K loaded now (unless you are looking into a Denali XL, than it's more).

Having owned a chevy avalnche, Z71 Tahoe, H2 SUV, and now an H2 SUT, I can tell you from my experience in city driving/ parking, the Tahoe was the easiest to park, second the SUT. Yes, you are correct about better mpg in the suburbans/ tahoes, but only by a couple mpg. Depending on your part of the country, you will have tree huggers giving you crap for owning a "gas guzzler." But here in CO, the "true" leaf lickers discriminate against all full size vehicles. That would NEVER sway my descision about what vehicle I drove though.

... my 2 cents. Good luck,
Tim.

PARAGON
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CLAYDOG:
It must be a mistake in the brocheure, from outside of tire tread to outside of tire tread the H2 is 79.5" and the H3 is 74" (I just measured). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is a mistake in the brochure and the dealers are aware of it and should be pointing it out.

HummerNewbie
05-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Firm,

There are several units out there with Nav. Do you not want the display that comes out of the unit and folds up? Most of them out that are like this. In an H2 these have a tendency to block the vents but probably won't be an issue in the H3 though it will probably block the buttons above the stereo. Off the top of my head I don't recall what all of these buttons are but believe the 4x4 controls are there. How often will you need to get to those? I don't recall where, but I have seen some that are more like the factory units in the H2. Flat, in-dash display that fits nicely in the dash if you have a big enough opening. Called a friend about what unit he is getting and it is the Pioneer AVIC-N1. It is one of the flip up units and has built in Nav I believe. Let me know if you want me to look into this anymore.

firm
05-24-2005, 08:56 PM
H2 is 79.5
H3 is 74
this is the height not width

Newbie,
Pioneer makes the AVIC-d1 with is a double din, in dash screen,, but they said it doesn't fit the H2, or any other gm vehicle. I think I am just going to get a portable GPS system.

usetosellhummer
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
The Eclipse is better then the factory unit by far. Eveyone who waited on the h2 nav was very diapointed at its limitations and difficulty using.

HummerNewbie
05-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Firm,

Don't know if it fits or not. Everyone I know that has gone with one of the Pioneer units drives a Ford. I am amazed that it wouldn't fit. Sounds like a very bad design on Pioneer's end or some fairly unethical design work on GM's part. Don't know which it is but I know there were a number of lawsuits against auto manufacturers a number of years ago because of their designs that limited after market head units. As far as the factory unit, everyone I know that has it are fine with it but certainly don't have raving revenues. They just don't really use it that much other than as a radio. I would certainly look more closely about it. Not sure you will really like the portable unit. I have only used one or two but they certainly do not compare to the head units I have used with Nav.

H3 Buyer to be?
05-25-2005, 02:23 AM
I like the in dash non flip units, like the Eclipse and Kenwood. The Eclipse is my favorite, simply based on looks and feel. It looks superior to the Kenwood. The fold out units have too many moving parts, and I have seen many break.

DeLeon
05-25-2005, 04:40 AM
The pioneer is nice but I think is too expensive, you can get the same with the Kenwood and they have a very good reputatiion. I will buy this for my H3 as soon as I get it (that's the best deal that I've found):

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13903

I think that you can add navigation to that one, if not, you can see more options here:

http://www.bizrate.com/nc/buy/products__cat_id--11890000,keyword--In%20Dash%20Dvd,sort--7.html

I hope that helps firm!

H34me?
05-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Timgco, to answer your questions:

1. I have been really happy with the Suburban's size but as my children are getting older (15 & 19) they travel less with me and I feel like I am driving a big empty SUV a lot of the time. But it sure comes in handy for car pooling and taking their friends on vacation. I can get a fully loaded Suburban z71( with all the options, leather, DVD, bucket seats in 2nd row, etc.) for $38,000 w/ the GMS discount.

2. Uses for H3: No off road at all and probably on 4wd to drive in snow 1-3 times a year. I do not tow anything (boat, camper, etc.) although I have no immediate plans to get a camper I do occassionally think about it.

3) I like the V8 for traveling in the mountains which I only do once or twice a year. I just always think a V8 is a bigger and better motor but I could be wrong about that.

4) Family: 2 adults and 2 kids (15 & 19). I was hoping the H3 2nd row seat was as wide as the H2, but of course I was going off of the brochures' indicated width. Is the H3 2nd row as wide as the Suburban? Or Tahoe? If not, I may be really unhappy with it. Giving up the 3rd seat and the width...

H34me?
05-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Decisions...decisions...I really hate new car shopping!

timgco
05-25-2005, 03:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H34me?:
Timgco, to answer your questions:

1. I have been really happy with the Suburban's size but as my children are getting older (15 & 19) they travel less with me and I feel like I am driving a big empty SUV a lot of the time. But it sure comes in handy for car pooling and taking their friends on vacation. I can get a fully loaded Suburban z71( with all the options, leather, DVD, bucket seats in 2nd row, etc.) for $38,000 w/ the GMS discount.

2. Uses for H3: No off road at all and probably on 4wd to drive in snow 1-3 times a year. I do not tow anything (boat, camper, etc.) although I have no immediate plans to get a camper I do occassionally think about it.

3) I like the V8 for traveling in the mountains which I only do once or twice a year. I just always think a V8 is a bigger and better motor but I could be wrong about that.

4) Family: 2 adults and 2 kids (15 & 19). I was hoping the H3 2nd row seat was as wide as the H2, but of course I was going off of the brochures' indicated width. Is the H3 2nd row as wide as the Suburban? Or Tahoe? If not, I may be really unhappy with it. Giving up the 3rd seat and the width... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you have the GMS discount, the vehicles will be priced within $3K - $4K if you can get a Burban for that price. The back seat in the H3 is much more confined thatn the H2, Burban or other fullsize rigs. since you're not towing, that engine will be fine. From what I have heard though, the I5 feels slow. In comparison, the power to weight ratio is better on the H3. So I cannot comment on that yet.

CLAYDOG
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Got out the old tape measure again...
H2-58"
suburban-58"
H3-49"

This is from edge of rear seat cushion to edge of rear seat cushion, hope this helps.