PDA

View Full Version : H1 Duramax Conversion

JeffShoots
01-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Predator Page (http://www.predatormotorsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=6)

I have a nice '99 H1, 4Door w/bed, Blk, 6.5TD, TT4, CTIS, Winch the works. I love my truck and use it as a DD for the last 5 years but only have about 31k miles on it and 18K on the new updated 6.5TD replaced under warrenty.

I do however use it for the occasional long trip and can see the up side of 2wd, MPG, power, and tire life.
Anybody here have a conversion? Why the 5-speed Allison and not the 6-speed? 22mpg possible? or is that down hill. Cost about 40~50k?

I would think about getting the new '06 but they don't have my body style anymore? I love the hard top 4door w/bed or slant but that is not made anymore?
What is the MPG on the new '06 H1 Duramax? and could you make it 2wd for the hyw?

Thanks, Jeff

ckhagman
01-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Their is a guy in Arizona that is converting his factory slantback to a duramax. I am not sure what stage he is at though.

JnStitz
01-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Go to your dealer, you can still order any style you want, just be prepared to pay for it.

And just my thoughts...it takes a lot of gas and tires to equal the 50k investment. But, as far as power is concerned its worth it.

-Jon

NoMoGMPG
01-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Charles Piper makes a front propshaft disconnect that will allow for 2wd operation. It is a highly refined product, simple to install, and virtually unbreakable.

You can reach him here:

piper52658@msn.com

Tell him Dave with the black "Harley" wagon referred you.

Ground hawg
01-18-2006, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GMPartsGuy:
Charles Piper makes a front propshaft disconnect that will allow for 2wd operation. It is a highly refined product, simple to install, and virtually unbreakable.

-------------------------------------

Why???, even if you disconect you'll still be turning the front diff. so what's the advantage????

NoMoGMPG
01-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Ground hawg:

Why???, even if you disconect you'll still be turning the front diff. so what's the advantage????

The advantage is the reduced power required to "power" the diff/axles/geared hub. It also saves the steering components from that additional strain, thereby improving longevity. You would see an increase of about 2mpg.

Ground hawg
01-19-2006, 12:52 AM
OK I'm lost. the front diff and shaft are still moving becouse there being turned by the front wheels, the front wheels are turning becouse there being pushed from the rear. therfor there is no change in resistance becouse all components are still being rotated therfor the loss of power must be =. if you had free wheeling hubs this would remove resistance from front gears as there would be no turning moment, downsid to this is you would also lose your front breaks??

NoMoGMPG
01-19-2006, 03:53 AM
The tire/hub/axleshaft still are connected so you still have brakes, you just don't have power being delivered to the front diff. It is not as if the axle is broken and there is no connection to the tire. You put the t/case in high lock and you effectively have rear wheel drive because all the power is being delivered to the rear. Brakes are unaffected.

Winneconne
01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
WOW on the 2 wheel lock out. What kinda of cost savings are we talking about?

NoMoGMPG
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Winneconne:
WOW on the 2 wheel lock out. What kinda of cost savings are we talking about?

I'd figure about 80 gallons of fuel saved over the course of a year, increased tire & steering component longevity...it would pay for itself in 2-3 years.