PDA

View Full Version : GM XM Kit

H2Chuck
11-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Ok I need some help/advice I have the 12498768 I think is the correct # kit to install the XM .
Q-I dont want to drill holes in my roof with the sunroof etc.The antenna supplied with this kit comes with a roof mounted antenna that you HAVE to drill and mount so,that being said ,has anyone researched the aftermarkets and came up with a solution.I have just about exhausted all areas.
one install shop did try to sell me a micro-mini single lead Terk model but,the connector into reciever will not plug in.They did say i could go from the single wire into a dual wire out and just use 1 lead of that splitter?I need some help.could i take the plastic connector from the lead off and plug it in that way without any lose of signal?I appreciate any help.

H2Chuck
Ok I need some help/advice I have the 12498768 I think is the correct # kit to install the XM .
Q-I dont want to drill holes in my roof with the sunroof etc.The antenna supplied with this kit comes with a roof mounted antenna that you HAVE to drill and mount so,that being said ,has anyone researched the aftermarkets and came up with a solution.I have just about exhausted all areas.
one install shop did try to sell me a micro-mini single lead Terk model but,the connector into reciever will not plug in.They did say i could go from the single wire into a dual wire out and just use 1 lead of that splitter?I need some help.could i take the plastic connector from the lead off and plug it in that way without any lose of signal?I appreciate any help.

H2Chuck

Klaus
11-19-2004, 10:11 PM
OK - Time for some easy R&D. Here's my suggestion. Buy the aftermarket XM antenna of your choice. It must be the single lead pink connector type. If you look at the antenna plug on the XM Receiver, you will notice it has 2 "locating tabs" whereas the antenna's connector only has a slot for one. All you need to do is take a pocket knife and cafefully "shave off" the one offending tab from the receiver's plug. Be sure you remove the correct tab! The other tab will line up correctly and locate the connector. Just go slow and careful, shaving off a little plastic at a time, and you should not have a problem.

There is no guarantee that the aftermarket antenna will work, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Also, this connector mod won't keep the factory connector from working anyway.

I bet you will be enjoying XM Radio soon! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

H2Chuck
11-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks Klaus
I knew you would come thru for me..I had thought about that but wasnt sure .
You Da Man !
Also I do have the Band button on my factory radio so,I am assuming the XM will appear on my factory radio? I hope ..Thanks

Klaus
11-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Yes, you will use the BAND button to cycle through AM, FM1, FM2, XM1, XM2.

H2Chuck
11-20-2004, 01:19 AM
OK Klaus after i install the tnr and i am opting to keep my onstar in place .If I install an aux cd changer under seat where ever ,will my controls on steering wheel still work the cd changer like they do now ?

Klaus
11-20-2004, 01:26 AM
If your TNR recognizes the CD Changer, the steering wheel controls should work as well.

Don't forget your digital camera... We expect pictures and a write-up!